English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 13 March 2020, 19:25   #1
jmmijo

Power Outage Issues

So to those that may not realize or can appreciate what CAN happen after a power outage, let me tell you something.

In my case it wasn't so bad but an annoyance none the less.

I had a short duration power outage less then 2 seconds but of course enough to cause the computers to shut down etc...

Everything usually comes back online and works but in this instance Steam was being a BRAT on my gaming rig.

I tried another reboot to no avail, so I finally used an uninstaller and removed it and all files stored in the directory.

I then downloaded the Steam client and installed it into another newly created directory, now things are working properly.

Nothing else seems to be amiss so far but have not tested everything yet.

I will know later on today when I get on shift if anything is amiss on the VM, but since I suspend this and make a copy each night after shift I have backups to work from just in case.
Old 13 March 2020, 21:48   #2
Shoonay
Global Caturator

What? No UPS?

Power outages are pretty common in my area, especially due to bad weather conditions during spring/autumn, using an UPS for 20+ years now.

Get an line-interactive AVR one that has double the power of your devices connected, a ~1200W should be enough to keep a 300-600W PC and peripherals for 10-30 minutes.
Old 13 March 2020, 22:46   #3
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
What? No UPS?

Power outages are pretty common in my area, especially due to bad weather conditions during spring/autumn, using an UPS for 20+ years now.

Get an line-interactive AVR one that has double the power of your devices connected, a ~1200W should be enough to keep a 300-600W PC and peripherals for 10-30 minutes.
Actually I have a couple for the computers downstairs, however, my house is older and was build during WW2 so the upstairs electrics have not been updated properly, no grounding.

Due to this a battery backup unit will not work.

I've never gotten around to wiring it or even putting in a dedicated grounding wire.
Old 13 March 2020, 23:29   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

... well, now you've got an incentive
Old 14 March 2020, 02:32   #5
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
... well, now you've got an incentive
Perhaps, I'm just to lazy
Old 14 March 2020, 07:37   #6
Shoonay
Global Caturator

A good UPS unit can run with no cables, thus no power at all, that's the whole point of the UPS.