English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 08 October 2019, 22:10   #1
Unkown
The Old Fart!

Question Df0:ndos

So i have installed WB 3.1

https://i.imgur.com/rXIHpJZ.png

and i mounted arcadepool.adf and it show up as DF0:NDOS it does this with any .adf file i mount in WinUAE ?

https://i.imgur.com/6n1KLXz.png

Am i missing something ?
Old 08 October 2019, 22:23   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

Arcadepool is a "NODOS" game you can't see on the Workbench, arcadepool can be started directly from floppy or HD in WHDLoad version.
Old 08 October 2019, 22:31   #3
Unkown
The Old Fart!

Hooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Arcadepool is a "NODOS" game you can't see on the Workbench, arcadepool can be started directly from floppy or HD in WHDLoad version.

OK, Thank You.

Still have lost to learn with the emulator, will be no problem once i get a couple of amiga's again in the next 12 months that is. just a learning curve with this emulator thingy... real hardware for the win.

Thanks Again!
Old 08 October 2019, 22:40   #4
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
Still have lost to learn with the emulator, will be no problem once i get a couple of amiga's again in the next 12 months that is. just a learning curve with this emulator thingy... real hardware for the win.
The issue you reported would be exactly the same on a real Amiga, and has nothing to do with using an emulator

This is why I moved your thread out of the support.WinUAE section.

Here's a blurb about NDOS disks that I found, as I couldn't be bothered writing something myself:

Quote:
Non-DOS (or NDOS as they are referred to) use their own custom file system, allowing the game to be loaded faster than AmigaDOS disks and make it slightly more difficult to copy. By default they cannot be accessed by AmigaOS.
Old 11 March 2020, 18:41   #5
Verminaard

Yes, I know it's most likely an unnecessary attempt but this has been the splinter in my mind since I got my first A500 back in 1990 (and then A1200 later on)

Is/was there a way to install/copy these games over the hard disk back in the day? My A1200 had a 20MB Conner 2.5" HDD and I've never managed to do this. Nowadays I have an A500 and A1200 and I know WHDLOAD solves this problem, but, for the old times' sake, please someone tell me if it's possible and how? Any input is appreciated greatly Surprisingly enough, I couldn't find so much info on the web, there are some German info but I don't speak German

Thanks to all in advance.
Old 11 March 2020, 22:33   #6
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verminaard View Post
Yes, I know it's most likely an unnecessary attempt but this has been the splinter in my mind since I got my first A500 back in 1990 (and then A1200 later on)

Is/was there a way to install/copy these games over the hard disk back in the day? My A1200 had a 20MB Conner 2.5" HDD and I've never managed to do this. Nowadays I have an A500 and A1200 and I know WHDLOAD solves this problem, but, for the old times' sake, please someone tell me if it's possible and how? Any input is appreciated greatly Surprisingly enough, I couldn't find so much info on the web, there are some German info but I don't speak German

Thanks to all in advance.
WHDload existed back in the day but JST had more installs or some cracks or Alternative Patches etc allowed some games to be installed.

Arcade Pool has a CD32 release that can probably be installed.

There's also a Mars Bar install from back in the day but these weren't that popular because of there unusual system requirements and unpredictable results.

Last edited by Retro1234; 11 March 2020 at 23:06.
Old 11 March 2020, 23:19   #7
Verminaard

So basically there was no general way of doing it. Those games simply were not designed to be run from HDD? I guess NDOS file system was faster than the regular one as it was loading directly from the disk with a much quicker fashion and skipping all those AmigaDOS and Workbench screens. I wish Workbench had a tool for installing them to HDD.

I'm confused. You mean WHDLOAD existed back in 92?
Old 11 March 2020, 23:23   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
WHDLoad - History

Code:
***  0.41  (05.09.1996)
	- first public release
Old 11 March 2020, 23:31   #9
Retro1234
Phone Homer

When was JST released? Im sure Jotd said WHDload came first, but Jotd did some installs before this?
Old 11 March 2020, 23:33   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
So basically there was no general way of doing it. Those games simply were not designed to be run from HDD? I guess NDOS file system was faster than the regular one as it was loading directly from the disk with a much quicker fashion and skipping all those AmigaDOS and Workbench screens. I wish Workbench had a tool for installing them to HDD.

No, unless you had the skills yourself to do it, generally, hard drive versions were not many back in the day.

Mainly because most Amiga owners didn't have a hard drive due to their ridiculous price, and when you need as much memory available as possible, allowing system resources to remain in memory was taking up too much room needed for the game.

So developers opted to bypass AmigaDOS at boot time, giving them control over loading, and sector/track loading disks were usually faster than AmigaDOS disks with files on.

Hard drive versions did exist on some games, a group called Triangle did a few like Cannon Fodder.

It was only when the A600/A1200 got released and 2.5 inch hard drives were starting to drop in price that hard drives finally became a normal thing for Amigas.
Old 12 March 2020, 12:52   #11
Verminaard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
No, unless you had the skills yourself to do it, generally, hard drive versions were not many back in the day.

Mainly because most Amiga owners didn't have a hard drive due to their ridiculous price, and when you need as much memory available as possible, allowing system resources to remain in memory was taking up too much room needed for the game.

So developers opted to bypass AmigaDOS at boot time, giving them control over loading, and sector/track loading disks were usually faster than AmigaDOS disks with files on.

Hard drive versions did exist on some games, a group called Triangle did a few like Cannon Fodder.

It was only when the A600/A1200 got released and 2.5 inch hard drives were starting to drop in price that hard drives finally became a normal thing for Amigas.
Well, I remember that many dos games were working when copied to a folder in the HDD (all the disk content had to in the same folder), some games had their own installer. I actually can't remember if there was a Dos game that didn't work this way and I've played a lot of them

PS: I'm talking about A1200. For A500 I remember creating a RAD drive(s) to emulate HDD on an 2,5 MB system

Last edited by Verminaard; 12 March 2020 at 12:55. Reason: Additional info.
Old 12 March 2020, 12:54   #12
Verminaard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
WHDLoad - History

Code:
***  0.41  (05.09.1996)
	- first public release
Thanks for the history lesson. My Amiga 1200 era was between 92-95. So that's why I never seen it up until recently
Old 12 March 2020, 12:57   #13
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
I actually can't remember if there was a Dos game that didn't work this way and I've played a lot of them

There are quite a few. Games that used their own hardware trackloader to load the files and also games with hidden files and stuff like that.
Old 12 March 2020, 15:56   #14
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I have just one very old WHDload install for Shadow of The Beast don't know what year it is but WHDload is like Version 0.
Old 12 March 2020, 16:45   #15
Daedalus

I remember quite a few games worked by simply copying the disk contents to separate drawers and creating assigns to each one. I even wrote a script that did this on-the-fly so the system wasn't cluttered with dozens of assigns to floppies. Dragging a disk icon directly into a drawer window created a drawer with the name of the floppy, which made the process simple.