English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 June 2016, 14:26   #1
SmoothEmJay
Previous owner of A.L.E.

Dead Blizzard 68030 III ?

Hi everyone,

Plugged a Blizzard 68030 into my A1200, all I get is the dark grey screen. Tried reseating, tried without RAM on the accelerator, tried 3 different PSU's including the legendary A500 PSU and ... same problem.

Am I right in assuming this is dead?

PS: A1200 has Kickstart 3.0 ROMS.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 June 2016, 23:16   #2
Daedalus

It's possible alright, but first check that the contacts in the connector all look ok, and that the metal shielding of the A1200 isn't touching the accelerator in any way. I've seen this a couple of times causing a machine not to boot. Bending the shielding away fixed the problem.

There could be any number of parts that have failed on the board, or there could be some damage to a solder connection or trace somewhere. Maybe a bent pin, but hopefully something relatively simple.
Old 10 June 2016, 23:31   #3
SmoothEmJay
Previous owner of A.L.E.

Could a faulty Oscillator be causing this? I've ordered a replacement in the hope that the previous oscillator was fitted incorrectly (socketed in Blizzard's) and caused the oscillator to go bye-bye.

Really hoping that just replacing the Oscillator crystal will bring it back to life. It's not touching any sheilding, even stripped it right back to the bare A1200 board. The only thing I could think of is that oscillator. Because if that goes bad, the system would hang right?
Old 11 June 2016, 06:57   #4
hese

Faulty oscillator can cause that. But most likely the problem is with the card edge connector, it's probably worn out and should be replaced.
Old 11 June 2016, 13:56   #5
Daedalus

True, the oscillator could be faulty so it's worth a try. But many other parts could cause the same fault - CPU, FPU, glue logic, any GALs or ROMs involved, or even a break on the board itself... The connector too but it would probably be visibly damaged or loose fitting if that was the case.
Old 11 June 2016, 14:03   #6
SmoothEmJay
Previous owner of A.L.E.

The board was tested before I bought it (from what I'm told). The oscillator came loose and was put back in place (probably in the wrong orientation during my excitement) which may have killed it before it even had chance to fire up.

Edge connector etc all *look* fine and the Amiga itself functions fine without said card in place (which doesn't mean much, I know).

Going to see what happens with a new oscillator as they're dirt cheap to replace. With any luck, it fires back into life. Apparently the blizzard boards are hard to just kill.
Old 11 June 2016, 20:44   #7
hese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
True, the oscillator could be faulty so it's worth a try. But many other parts could cause the same fault - CPU, FPU, glue logic, any GALs or ROMs involved, or even a break on the board itself...
Certainly but very rarely other than the oscillator (when wrongly fitted) or connector are the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The connector too but it would probably be visibly damaged or loose fitting if that was the case.
Not necessarily. The connector can look perfectly fine and feel tight enough but still doesn't work because one or more pins make too loose contact.
Old 14 June 2016, 14:12   #8
SmoothEmJay
Previous owner of A.L.E.

UPDATE!

Ordered a new 50Mhz Crystal. It arrived today, though it's bloody 25Mhz instead of 50! (the guy sent me the wrong one). But guess what? accelerator WORKS. Now waiting on a replacement for this 25Mhz crystal for the one I ordered.
Old 14 June 2016, 14:31   #9
Daedalus

Great news And it'll run nice and cool at 25MHz
AdSense AdSense