English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 June 2016, 21:32   #1
Soopytwist

Scart to VGA?

Anyone know of a working Scart to VGA converter or even if that's possible?

I plug my Amiga's into my TV with an RGB to Scart lead and that works very well, however if I buy a new TV (on the cards for quite a while) I am unlikely to have a Scart socket plus I'd like to plug my A600 into my spare PC monitor (it has DVI and VGA).
Old 06 June 2016, 21:45   #2
nogginthenog
Amigan

My recent-ish Samsung TV still has a SCART socket. Do new models not have them? I wouldn't be surprised, only luddites use SCART

No idea about VGA/DVI I'm afraid.
Old 06 June 2016, 22:08   #3
trixster
Guru Meditating

Only Luddites use Scart..... Are you drunk?
Old 07 June 2016, 09:42   #4
Daedalus

Some new TVs don't have SCART, though many still do. Just check before you buy. There are VGA and HDMI converters available, HDMI ones only needing a simple converter to use on your DVI monitor.
Old 07 June 2016, 10:14   #5
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

if you're lucky, your spare monitor will sync to the amiga's scan frequency on its VGA port.
Old 07 June 2016, 12:58   #6
amigoun

I can also recommend 15 kHz capable monitor, but if you do not have the opportunity there is another way too.
I have 32" LG LCD TV, that do not have any SCART input neither is 15 kHz compatible.. So in this case I use my DVD recorder - I just connect Amiga to DVD recorder by SCART cable, and DVD recorder to TV thru HDMI. There is of course some lag because of the Analog to digital conversion, but overall it is ok and the picture is very good thanks to most DVD recorders support RGB input. Another good thing is that apart from other SCART-DVD converter boxes that do the framerate conversion from 50-60 Hz , DVD recorders retain 50 Hz frequency and thus you have smooth scroll.
Old 07 June 2016, 16:05   #7
Soopytwist

Connecting to a scart-less TV is a secondary issue, I'd prefer to connect my A600 to an LCD monitor with a VGA lead.

There's this: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=183
I have an old(ish) Dell P170S monitor. Not sure if this would work.
Old 07 June 2016, 16:27   #8
idrougge

Most likely it won't. Like 95 % likely.
Old 07 June 2016, 16:29   #9
Jope
-

That monitor will not be compatible with the Amiga's signal timing. The lowest vertical frequency is 56Hz and the lowest horizontal frequency is 30kHz.

Even if you install a scandoubler, it might not result in a viewable display, as the PAL Amiga's vertical frequency is around 49Hz.

The indivision ECS can scan convert to 60Hz, but this will result in tearing/jerky animation when the screen scrolls.

If you don't care about smooth scrollers, get an A604 + Indi ECS. If you care about smooth scrollers, get a D23 ->DE15 adapter (aka "silver adapter") and one of the Benq monitors that support 15kHz (search this forum for benq to find details).

Alternatively a small TV with a scart connector might work for you, if you already have a scart cable.
Old 07 June 2016, 16:31   #10
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soopytwist View Post
Connecting to a scart-less TV is a secondary issue, I'd prefer to connect my A600 to an LCD monitor with a VGA lead.

There's this: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=183
I have an old(ish) Dell P170S monitor. Not sure if this would work.
That sort of adapter is what commodore supplied with the A3000/A4000.

Regarding your dell, according to this, the supported scan frequencies are:

Resolution
Model P170S/P190S
Horizontal scan range 30 kHz to 81 kHz (automatic)
Vertical scan range 56 Hz to 76 Hz (automatic)
Maximum preset resolution 1280 x 1024 at 60 Hz

which means it won't work with your amiga (at least not for games and such).
Old 11 June 2016, 00:56   #11
eXeler0

@Scoopytwist you have a lot of options actually, but what is your budget?

*For about £30 you can get a GBS8200 unit and have it convert your RGB out to VGA. For that you need a custom cable~(from AMIGA RGB out ot GBS8200) + standard VGA cable (from GBS to monitor). (Quality will not be great, but might be acceptable for some)

*For ~£85 you can get this:https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-BL702A.../dp/B00DZFOVZW which happens to be a moniotor that can sync down to 15KHz. its also a 5:4 aspect ratio monitor which is not very common these days.

*For ~£30 you can also get a SCART to HDMI upscaler. For that you need an aditional Amiga to Scart + HDMI cable.

P.S. I have all of the above...
Old 11 June 2016, 01:32   #12
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Nearly all modern DVRs for CCTV but can be used for anything have composite/BNC input with HDMI and VGA output so if you use one of these modern devices your a luddite or anyone on this board I guess.
I even know someone connecting CCTVs to RF modulators to multiple Tvs WOW!

Last edited by Retro1234; 11 June 2016 at 01:47.
Old 11 June 2016, 08:43   #13
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

It's said, but newer TV's are more expensive but drop SCART and now VGA too.
Only several HDMI and possibly a DP there for input :-(
Latest PC video cards don't have VGA output either, not even from DVI port, so soon we will have many problems.

My old Samsung LCD TV has a scart, and the picture is pixel perfect on it, but for some reason something is wrong with it and I get radio like interference with a ghost picture of some TV channel on top of the amiga one.
Old 11 June 2016, 09:15   #14
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I bought a TV less than six months ago and its not cheap rubbish it still has a analogue RF tunner I was surprised but happy as I still use it to pipe TV around the house but I see what your sayiny, wait for digital RF modulators to drop in price abit and get some scart to hdmi converters.
Old 11 June 2016, 11:56   #15
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

A bit off question.... But many small HiFi systems no longer have inputs for external audio now! Why?! Was looking for a replacement recently, and really could not find anything interesting to replace a dead sony mhc system that worked wonderfully for amigas audio output. And most smaller speaker only systems are now crappy low power usb devices too :-(
Old 11 June 2016, 12:04   #16
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
But many small HiFi systems no longer have inputs for external audio now!
Really? Wow

Quote:
Why?!
Probably because the manufactures are cheap asses.

Quote:
Was looking for a replacement recently, and really could not find anything interesting to replace a dead sony mhc system that worked wonderfully for amigas audio output. And most smaller speaker only systems are now crappy low power usb devices too :-(
Find an older stereo amp and some older speakers somewhere. Sound quality can be very good with older stereo hifi gear, and doesn't have to cost much.
Old 11 June 2016, 18:39   #17
LocoSombrero

This is an old topic and with some small googling you'd be sure to find out whether or not it's possible or not. At some point during the last year, I got myself a real cheap "Amiga RGB to VGA" adapter dongle, just a really simple one that has a VGA pinout at the other end and an Amiga RGB connector pinout on the other. The price was around 10EUR or so.

Now, although it doesn't work with your monitor unless the monitor accepts MultiSync modes, it does indeed work perfectly well with old video projectors, or well, at least with the one that I have. All you need is a projector old enough that carries the specifications needed. The one I got is 4:3 in it's native projection format, so it offers pretty much the best _projector_ output one might expect to get from an old Amiga 500 or so (keep in mind that monitors and TV's are different whole different thing altogether..).

You should always check out the specs on your video output device, whether it's a video projector, a TV or a computer monitor, and see what kind of signal conversion/adaptation you'll need for the video (scandoubling etc).

EDIT: Yep, the adapter that I have is pretty much 1:1 as the one mentioned above, http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=183

Last edited by LocoSombrero; 11 June 2016 at 18:43. Reason: clarification
Old 12 June 2016, 08:08   #18
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Just released latest 2016 model premium series displays with quantum dots have confirmed my expectations... Very expensive TV's and only HDMI and digital RF inputs, goodbye analogue... :-(
Old 01 July 2016, 21:17   #19
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Anyone know where you can get a RF demodulator for use on something like Atari 2600 or how do people hook up C64 etc with only RF out to TV
Old 02 July 2016, 02:49   #20
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Anyone know where you can get a RF demodulator for use on something like Atari 2600 or how do people hook up C64 etc with only RF out to TV
C64 has A/V (composite) connector. (To the right of the RF, looking at it from behind)
Plenty of A/V/ composite to Scart cables available out there.

(Not tried it yet, but I guess you could then plug the scart into a "scart to hdmi" converter/upscaled and use the c64 on a modern screen.)

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk