English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 September 2009, 21:54   #1
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Shareware & PD - Full Registered Games

I have noticed that downloading some PD and Shareware Amiga games just results in getting the demo versions still and it is quite rare for a full registered game to turn up, it is just like it was back in the day when you used to get disks from PD libraries - you then had to send a registration fee to the author and in turn you would receive the full game...

I am sure that if the authors could still be contacted now they would if possible donate their full games back into the Amiga community for new users to experience and older users to enjoy.

I am keen to get back some of the original full Shareware titles I once owned and of course with the authors permission I will share them here.

I don't imagine that I am the first person to think about doing this so I was wondering if we could update this thread should I or any other forum user contact an author and get a full game or piece of software to share.

I have written to two authors this week and also Dave May has given permission for his full game "Air Taxi" to be zoned so that is a start.

What do people think?

July 2010

The place to find any full games we discover is on the EAB file server (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633) in the 'Games/PD (full versions)' folder.

Last edited by Peter; 29 July 2010 at 21:55.
Old 24 September 2009, 23:45   #2
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

cool idea.

I often wondered if anyone ever had the full version of 'Star Woids'?

I have a full version of Jet Set Willy 97 which i believe i uploaded previously. (allows saves and some other things) ... this was because I worked on the music for the game, and I have little doubt the author would have any problem with it being shared now!
Old 24 September 2009, 23:48   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Great idea Peter Will make a folder on the file server for any finds here
Old 25 September 2009, 00:11   #4
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
cool idea.

I often wondered if anyone ever had the full version of 'Star Woids'?

I have a full version of Jet Set Willy 97 which i believe i uploaded previously. (allows saves and some other things) ... this was because I worked on the music for the game, and I have little doubt the author would have any problem with it being shared now!
Check here for the story of Starwoids...
It is a good game (what there is of it...)

Be great if you could zone JSW97 - then TCD can put it in the new server folder!
Old 25 September 2009, 00:33   #5
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

aww. shame it was never finished... I was sure i'd searched for it before and not seen that, but then, it was probably around 2006 i was looking for it!

JSW97 with regkey, .amos source code and additional music file (which was to go into v1.3 - although it needed some cleaning up!) in the Zone for you

perhaps with the source the bad-timing jump routine could be cleaned up (although i cant be bothered to do it myself!)
Old 25 September 2009, 00:39   #6
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Nice one HH !
Old 25 September 2009, 00:53   #7
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I have been trying to track down the full registered version of "Scavenger 2" and have been in contact with the author... Ben Wright

Ben very kindly wrote back to me...

Hi Peter

Thanks for all the interest in Scavenger 2. I'm afraid I don't have a copy readily available to send off, the game was stored on the hard drive of my A1200 although that gave up the ghost some time ago. I also had it backed up on several floppies, however these are now stored somewhere in the loft at my parents place and are not readily to hand - also being over 10 years old I'm not sure if they're still working. The game was favourably reviewed in Amiga Format and did sell a few copies back in 1997 so someone else may be able to help with a floppy version (there must be some out there!)

There was also a Scavenger 1 which was reviewed in a couple of mags back in 1995 - that sank without trace. As did several music discs I produced, although these were also reviewed in CU and Amiga Format (late nineties).

More recently I created a game for PC called Antagonism. It's a 3D shoot-em-up similar to Sega's Space Harrier. If you're interested it's available for download from:
http://antagonism.bravehost.com

And a trailer on youtube:
[ Show youtube player ]

Regards,

Ben

I have also been in touch with F1 Software about this game as it was an F1 Licenseware release - I await their response... I will post back here as soon as I hear... but maybe, just maybe Ben may get the urge to take a trip back to his parents loft...

Of course if anyone has the full game please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scavenger2.gif
Views:	775
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	22796  

Last edited by Peter; 25 September 2009 at 01:12.
Old 25 September 2009, 00:57   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The place where you can find the full versions on the EAB file server (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633) is 'Games/PD (full versions)'. Hope there will be more than the two in a bit
Old 25 September 2009, 01:07   #9
Peter
Still an Amiga user

That's excellent TCD - thanks for setting that up - I hope people will share what they have, providing authors are in agreement.
Old 25 September 2009, 01:10   #10
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

talking of PD games reviewed in magazines, and the finding of old disks by authors, I did eventually get in contact with "Moosie" (author) who managed to send me his original Disks of "Horace Takes A Trip" (a SEUCK game) which I gladly ADFed.

Found hither:

http://www.horacegoesskiing.co.uk/Am...TakesATrip.zip
Old 25 September 2009, 01:18   #11
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

also, as is no-doubt commonly known, full version of Amiga "Sneech" is available from the author's website;

http://www.shoecakegames.com/files/SneechV152.lha

but you might want to have it included anyway!
Old 25 September 2009, 20:43   #12
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I would say yes HH... if the author's website ever goes off-line then a copy in our new vault would be of benefit.

Sneech is a nicely put together little game - why cant all Amiga game programmers be as efficient as this guy and have websites with full versions of their games offered for free!!!
Old 29 September 2009, 20:57   #13
Peter
Still an Amiga user

UPDATE - Scavenger 2

Received some great news today in an email from Ben Wright... after some searching Ben has found us a full version of his game "Scavenger 2" - Not only this but he has also found a full version of "Scavenger 1" (although Ben does stress that this earlier version of the game has some control issue's)
He has sent both games to me in the post so over the next day or so I will upload them both to the server.

Ben is keen to know what we think about his games so many years later...

I will do a quick update here when I upload the games...
Old 29 September 2009, 21:11   #14
DamienD
Banned

Nice work indeed Peter and thanks to Ben
Old 29 September 2009, 21:11   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Great news Peter Hope more people have some 'gems' to share
Old 29 September 2009, 21:20   #16
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Excellent stuff
Old 29 September 2009, 23:16   #17
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Kewl News Peter
Old 30 September 2009, 00:05   #18
Graham Humphrey

Fantastic - persistence does pay off it seems.
Old 30 September 2009, 01:10   #19
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I have had no luck as yet trying to get in contact with Ben James, the author of "Psycheual"
I have written to him but so far, no reply... until my letter is returned (confirming that he has moved and the Post Office don't know where to...) I will keep my fingers crossed that he may still get in touch with me... in the meantime I have posted a clip of his game up onto youtube in case anyone knows him or owns the full version of the game...

Check out Psycheual on youtube - [ Show youtube player ]

My videos aren't in Matt's league !
Old 30 September 2009, 15:37   #20
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I am just making a note to myself here so I can remember who I have contacted...

I have written to Martin Platt (MCP Software) in an attempt to obtain a full version of "Account Master V3"

AM3 is a very useful personal finance software program for Amiga computers - as featured on Amiga Format cover disk 76a

I will update here if I hear back from the author...

UPDATE - 9th Oct 2009
My letter was returned - Martin has obviously moved and no forwarding address is know.
I will just have to work out that I have no money for myself...

UPDATE - 30th Oct 2009
I have managed to find an earlier full version of this software (V2.0) from 1992.
I will upload it to my area of the EAB Server (User/peter/programs) for anyone who is interested in having a look at it.

Last edited by Peter; 31 October 2009 at 00:53.