English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 04 September 2018, 13:10   #1
Epo
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sudden loss of Chip and Fast RAM

Yesterday night all was OK but today I was surprised with huge Chip and Fast memory consumption. I don't recall changing anything. Anyone had something similar and solved it?

I booted it w/o s-s and all the mem is there. But after I loadwb part of the memory disappears. Disabled all the content of WBStartup - no change:

Old 04 September 2018, 13:31   #2
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Hi. Do you use WinUAE or real hardware.
You could use something like Sysinfo to look into that
OR
edit youre startup-sequence..edit the entry LOADWB into ;Loadwb ... type AVAIL to see how many memory is there, and start SNOOPDOS to see what happends when you typer LOADWB.

OR, maybe .. you choose a Picture in the WBPatterns prefs programm, that eat up so much memory and wont show up right (just a guess).

hmmm, hope that helps. You have to try. Anyway ,with the snoopdos methode you know exactly what happends...
Old 04 September 2018, 14:13   #3
Epo

It's WinUAE. I start it without startup-sequence (I put a note about it in my prev post) so nothing from it. I have no pattern/picture bgnd. What's more, I started the same HDF file with a new configuration and no problems with memory! So it's not the Workbench configuration but WinUAE's. I must have set an option that 'steals' that memory but have no idea what it could be. If I'm not mistaken I had it once before but it's like in a fog...
Old 04 September 2018, 16:08   #4
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Yeah, i had also some strange things happend to WinUAE sometimes...
With Driver/Windows updates n stuff like that.

You could (just a suggestion) download the newest version of WinUAE (if you dont already have it) and start fresh. (or keep youre configs if they are important to you)

Like i said, just a suggestion. Toni Willen would be the guy to ask. He knows all about WinUAE n stuff. (sorry i could not help)

Good luck Epo

Last edited by Nibbler; 04 September 2018 at 18:12. Reason: typo - like usual
Old 04 September 2018, 16:12   #5
Epo

Thanks, we'll see if someone else responds. I'm working on a different config file and all seems to be alright. Btw, I have the latest WinUAE.
Old 04 September 2018, 16:18   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Almost surely AmigaOS side problem. Bad program that randomly corrupts RAM etc..
Old 04 September 2018, 19:29   #7
Epo

I got it! Now I remember that I had exactly the same behavior once before. The culprit is low RAM availability on WINDOWS side! I stretch my system to the maximum possible running different programming IDEs, two net browsers, graphics programs (between others). My 8GB RAM is definitely too low for my needs but it's max for my laptop so I have to deal with it. Well, if anyone faces this problem in the future then this is the answer.
Old 04 September 2018, 19:38   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Hmm.. But your screenshot shows exact same total values.