English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 11 October 2017, 14:34   #1
SimonCD32
Amiga Diva

Exclamation CD32 Help. WARNING - IDIOTS GUIDE REQUIRED

Hello Everyone

I hope you are all doing well.

I've made a few minor cries for help on some of the other forums but this time I am really down on my knees begging for some assistance.

I am hoping that someone will take pity on my and spend a little bit of time helping out an Amiga brother!

I have recently acquired a CD32 and am in desperate need of some advice and explanations.

1) I would like to buy some additional hardware to go with it, I was originally looking at the analogic disk drive but several people have told me there is something else I can buy that will plug into the machine and that I can download most Amiga games and just store on there and play. What do I need to buy and where can I buy it from?

.....any links on what to do with it once I've brought it?

2) I would like to be able to burn some Disks (ISO's?) for the CD32. I notice there are lots of files available on this site. What do I need to do to ensure that I am downloading files that will play on the CD32 can someone please provide me with an idiots guide on what I do after I download the file from this site?

3) can someone recommend some good CD's to buy to burn them onto? I understand that certain types work better than others?

4) is there anything else I should acquire to ensure I am getting the best out of my CD32? I already have a mouse and USB keyboard adaptor. I might buy the PS1 controller adaptor seeing as the pads ive got are not great
Old 11 October 2017, 14:57   #2
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCD32 View Post
2) I would like to be able to burn some Disks (ISO's?) for the CD32. I notice there are lots of files available on this site. What do I need to do to ensure that I am downloading files that will play on the CD32 can someone please provide me with an idiots guide on what I do after I download the file from this site?
Download / install ImgBurn. Very easy to use

...as for getting CD32 images:

a) Try searching on the EAB File Server; there's loads of official CD32 and compilations there.
b) Also Google for "cd32 game isos"; I can't link to a certain site (as it contains files that are not allowed to be posted on EAB due to Rules & Help) but you will definitely recognize what I'm talking about.
Old 11 October 2017, 15:27   #3
solidcore

1,4) don't bother, grab an edge-riser board & TF328, or build your own. Take care in regard to the PS1 controller adapter, I have several, they've broken easily for no apparent reason, replacements are free however and quick. They have various issues with certain user made compilations on cd. The cd32 games work fine and tf328 workbench WHDLOAD games work fine on the ps1 adapter.
2,3) discs are easy to burn from EAB File Server OR Google. To burn use ImgBurn. I burn at 10x on Verbatim DataLifePlus CD-R 500mb 52x discs from Amazon and they work just fine on my cd32.

To reiterate, where it's at now is the tf328, WHDLoad 100's of games mouse, kb, ps1 controller all working fine. A riser with RGB would set you back a fair bit but worthwhile if you want RGB, alternatively you can modify it to have RGB in replacement of your rf modulator see RetroGameModz video.

And the final product:
CD32 with RGB/s L+R audio to scart, TF328 with ISSI 8mb fastram, 4gb CF IDE, Cherry G80-3000 Keyboard ps/2 via usb to AUX adapter, Amiga Mouse. Workbench 3.1 - WHDLoad - The Settlers.

Note: 8mb fast ram will play up on various cd32 titles, the latest firmware has added a clock-buffer jumper switch to disable/enable the board to play your usual cd32 games.
Old 11 October 2017, 15:58   #4
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcore View Post
1,4) don't bother, grab an edge-riser board & TF328, or build your own.
As this is a new CD32 user, I am afraid this isn't an option yet to recommend. TF328 is still pretty fresh, and also too DIY, for people like the OP who, if I read correctly, just wants to play some games. Although getting a TF328 combo isn't a bank breaker, it can be a bit of a hassle at the moment. Also you underestimate teh difficulty of "build your own". Not everyone has your skills to do such a thing, I know I don't, so those of us who don't, depend on sale and distribution of the device.

I used my CD32 happily for years just burning discs. There's a TON of stuff to get. There's WHDLoad compilations too, and some are running CD32Load which eliminate most of the issues of WHDLoad in low memory setups.

Buy some good media (I use Sony 70min CD-Rs), get Imgburn as DamienD suggested, go to the EAB FTP's CD32 section to start (/Commodore_Amiga/CD/CD32), burn some discs and have fun.

There is this tendency in the Amiga world to recommend to people to upgrade their shit right away. Not everyone needs an upgraded machine. Just for games, a plain CD32 is just great for a long time. When you are ready and, probably, when TF328s are more widely available and more tested, you can start thinking on upgrading, if you feel you need to have a little bit more options.

There's also the matter of how you use the CD32. Attaching a keyboard and mouse and turning the CD32 into a computer (like solidcore's pic) is not really my idea of why I have a CD32 (I have plenty of desktop Amigas), but there's no launcher you can really rely on and be satisfied with. I've been testing XBench for a while and it's so slow it's not really fun to use.

So save solidcore's advice for a future, when you feel like burning discs for the CD32 has played out for you and you want to look at expanding options. For the time being, I recommend you don't even bother with that route at all.
Old 11 October 2017, 18:02   #5
solidcore

Akira,

Well I personally didn't assume if he's a butterfingers, a regular joe or a professional when I let him know of the tf328 I just wanted him to know the option existed, it's his choice to venture down that path - It's a great path if you want to extend cd32 and the right seller can easily guide him to success imo. He already has the kb/mouse so I'm thinking apart from the floppy analogic and putting a gotek in there this is really his other option... SX32 etc are pricey.

Akira - I don't possess any skill really - I started soldering last month, I never claim to be a professional and always learning, after soldering 1000's of legs on those edge connectors I've even improved in my through-hole. As for the SMD soldering I didn't get the tf328 done in the 1st go, I had to resolder the cpld/ram chips as I was sloppy first time round, mark and I had a good laugh over it though - I joked that I had blown the thing up and smoke came out, should of heard his reaction lol. another time I said windows 95 popped up is that normal, lol joking away because I was seeing red error screens until finally a Workbench lol.

As for the PS1 adapter it has trouble on the compilations, cd32 originals/backups are fine and so are whdload on the workbench via tf328 - but unfortunately ps1 adapter likes to go nuts on the amigajay cd's etc. - still have no explanation for it yet.

I don't use the CD32 as a computer , I have yet to run any software application apart from benchmarks. and the main OS to navigate whdload games, it was my understanding and discovery that a lot of games are kb/mouse dependant so not sure what you mean here. Dizzy collection, to name one whdload pack required me to press F1-F2-F3 to choose a title, other games had keys bound to specific actions. and the mouse, of course, is self-explanatory.

Either way go nuts Enjoy.

Akira read this, he asked .
Quote:
1) I would like to buy some additional hardware to go with it, I was originally looking at the analogic disk drive but several people have told me there is something else I can buy that will plug into the machine and that I can download most Amiga games and just store on there and play. What do I need to buy and where can I buy it from?
Also to be more specific I'll answer it properly.

the name is a TF328, you can PM a few lads in here, such as supaduper who I personally recommend - he can get you set up mate, zero to hero.

Last edited by solidcore; 11 October 2017 at 18:24.
Old 11 October 2017, 18:32   #6
Amiga1992

Maybe I worded myself wrongly. I didn't mean to say say you gave bad advice. As far as CD32 expansion optoins go, TF328 is definitely the best option! You know how hard I advocated for a device like that to be created, and I cannot be happier it exists. But it does require a certain user to adopt one at this point. For example, firmware upgrades, until yesterday, were not possible for anyone without a Xilinx programmer. And that excludes completely the fact that you need to get someone building one for you, and also all the discussion about RAM stability that still is a thing today, etc. To me that's not a "consumer ready"product yet, it's for us tinkerers to deal with. Yes OP might be a tinkerer, but I assumed as if he wasn't, because of what he asked on the questions.

But the OP also asked mainly about playing games on his device, so his decision of wanting to buy extra hardware is what I question, when he doesn't need any at all to start playing, just some blank CDs. He even says "what do I do with it after I get it?", so, he wanted an expansion, but NO IDEA WHY. This is the "Must expand every Amiga" mentality that seeps through this scene damaging it .

By the way, you can minimize as much as you want your ability to build a TF328, but it does take skill to build one, and not all people can be as quick to learn as you did. It took me literally YEARS to be able to be just OK at soldering through hole components. Also depends on what tools you get, and people who don't often indulge in soldering or building things like that, would be very wary of getting everything they need to make the task easier (for example a hot air station).
I don't consider myself to be a moron, but I wouldn't touch SMD components yet.

I wasn't assuming the OP was a "butterfingers", but as I said, in this community, the first thing everyone says to you when you ask about your new Amiga, is "here are your upgrade options", and I offered a perfectly viable path to games, especially after seeing that the OP didn't even know why he wanted an Analogic device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcore View Post
I don't use the CD32 as a computer[...]so not sure what you mean here.
If it has a keyboard and a mouse, it's a computer to me Consoles have only gamepads!

[edit] sorry about all the editing! :P

Last edited by Amiga1992; 11 October 2017 at 18:38.
Old 11 October 2017, 19:07   #7
solidcore

Akira,

I won't argue with you, your points are valid to your own interest in the cd32 - perhaps you feel I am trying to give the impression the tf328 is a product by Apple? I apologise I only meant that following BOM the device is solid - I know because I have had no isses with it on ISSI ram and September firmware, Hynix etc isn't relative as that's outside BOM and that's the sellers responsibility which Steve has already said should only provide tf328's to others with reliable firmware . And as the OP did say he wanted the best out of the cd32 and asked the name of a device that allows him to play from storage. He could have meant gotek via anologic, but I didn't want to limit my answer to that alone as I personally wouldn't recommend that approach over a tf328.

Tf328 aside, you should try a cheap SMD soldering kits from ebay for a few bucks. You'll pm me saying thank you as it's a very low-cost risk and gateway to smd soldering my friend. Buy plenty of flux, or a flux-pen I enjoy using them as it doesn't get too messy.

Btw - I sold my first riser today and as a result, another tf328 user is born no idea what RAM he's running on though.

Chris
Old 11 October 2017, 20:34   #8
SimonCD32
Amiga Diva

thanks so much for your help guys and Akira I think you are correct in some of the things you say, in that I am trying to run before I can walk and I dont even know why i want to expand the hardware capabilities at this time (i guess i just like the idea of tinkering with it etc).

I will save Solidcore's advice for when I am ready and in the meantime get to burning some CD's.

Have forsaken the gymnasim this evening to spend some time figuring out the ISO's and burning etc so lets get on with that! yay!

Thanks again for all your help people.
Old 11 October 2017, 22:18   #9
SimonCD32
Amiga Diva

damn the ISO burning thing is easy... I'm in bootlegging heaven currently )
Old 11 October 2017, 22:27   #10
Amiga1992

Told you, it's easy, and you can get a lot of enjoyment of that, there's SO MUCH STUFF you can play!
But if you get greedy or tired of optical media (or your laser dies and you don't want to replace it!) there will be a TF328 option for you down the road. Before 2017, we were fucked for choice.

Check out the community-made compilations by Amigajay, earok and others. Also on the FTP go to /~Uploads/Akira, and get the mombassajoe compilation, really good PD stuff.

Lots of good games for your CD32 Hands down it is my favorite Amiga to play games in!
Old 11 October 2017, 23:01   #11
SimonCD32
Amiga Diva

ftp://grandis.nu/Commodore_Amiga/CD/

^ so on that link above can I only play the games under CD32? Or will my console play any of the CD games from the other links?
Old 11 October 2017, 23:20   #12
DamienD
Banned

No, really only anything under the subdirectory "CD32" from what you've specified above

Ok, here's what you want from the EAB File Server i.e. anything under:

a) /Commodore_Amiga/CD/CD32
b) /Commodore_Amiga/CD/Magazine Cover CD/Amiga CD32 Gamer
c) /Commodore_Amiga/TOSEC Updates/TOSEC Release (v2016-07-02) updates/ISO/Commodore Amiga CD32
d) /Commodore_Amiga/TOSEC Updates/TOSEC Release (v2016-11-11) updates/Amiga CD32
e) /~Uploads/cd32

...I may have missed some but hey, that will keep you busy for a while
Old 11 October 2017, 23:31   #13
solidcore

Check this list out http://theamigacd32.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 11 October 2017, 23:31   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
No, really only anything under the subdirectory "CD32" from what you've specified above
That's not correct.

You can also play the games on the CDTV folder, those should all work except if they have been programmed like shit.
/Commodore_Amiga/CD/CDTV/

And some of the other Amiga CD ones. You gotta check the requirements. Anything that runs on ECS/AGA and 2MB Chip RAM will work.

For example, in /Commodore_Amiga/CD/AmigaCD/Game/, you could play
- Cedric
- Erben Der Erde
- Phoenix Fighters
- Sixth Sense Investigations
- Ultimate Super Skidmarks
- Pretty sure the 17-Bit compilations should work

Well, you'd need to experiment with what's there, some are already marked CD32 (should be moved I guess), some might need HD installation and leave you out even if you meet the RAM and processor requirements.
Old 11 October 2017, 23:37   #15
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
That's not correct.
...and I did say:
Quote:
...I may have missed some but hey, that will keep you busy for a while
What I listed is the majority of "CD32" games available there

I really don't have the time / energy to be going through the complete EAB File Server to list "CD32" compatible games...

You wanna do this? Please, be my guest!!!
Old 12 October 2017, 00:06   #16
DamienD
Banned

Anyway, IMHO the CD32 wasn't great at all and a major disappointment; it couldn't complete with all the other awesome "consoles" of that time

Ok, so yes it's a console but the majority of games are just A500 / A1200 ones with added audio tracks... Graphics weren't updated at all so; who cares about additional audio tracks; not me!!!

...it flopped for a reason.

Really, if you want to have the "real" Amiga experience; buy an A500 (with expanded RAM) or possibly an A1200.

...or simply do what I do; use WinUAE

It's:

a) Free.
b) You have all Amiga models in one i.e. A500 / A500+ / A600 / A1000 / A1200 / A4000 / AmigaCD / CD32 / CDTV / WHDLoad etc...
c) Just use your existing Windows computer.

My laptop connects to my 50" TV via HDMI, I have 2 x Xbox 360 controllers and can play anything I like from the comforts of my lounge chair (as if it was a console)
Old 12 October 2017, 01:08   #17
Amigajay

Quote:
Anyway, IMHO the CD32 wasn't great at all and a major disappointment; it couldn't complete with all the other awesome "consoles" of that time

Ok, so yes it's a console but the majority of games are just A500 / A1200 ones with added audio tracks... Graphics weren't updated at all so; who cares about additional audio tracks; not me!!!

...it flopped for a reason.
Bit harsh Damien! It flopped because of Commodore going bankrupt 6 months later tbh! It didn't have much of a chance, so 160 games, plus 50 ish other non game CDs isn't so bad esp compared to the Atari Jaguar, 50 games over a 5 year period in comparison. I enjoyed my CD32 for gaming for a couple of years until the PSX came along, the other 5 or so years I was using it for lots of other reasons along with and a CD player and watching a Video CDs.

So again harsh to say a flop when it didn't have a chance to grow and prosper, imo it was the A1200 that was the flop that layed the poison egg
Old 12 October 2017, 01:20   #18
DamienD
Banned

Ok, maybe a bit harsh but still true IMHO... you can't deny the fact that CD32 games are really nothing more than A500 / A1200 games with additional audio tracks slapped on??? Who cares; nothing ground-breaking there really besides maybe 10 games maximum...

...and there were sooooo many better consoles out at the time; please don't make me list them; I can't be bothered. You know what I'm talking about though

What I accidently left out from my post above yours is that:

If it wasn't for people like "Amigajay" and "earok" that are bringing "classic" Amiga games that everyone remembers to the CD32 console after many, many hard hours of work; where would this system be?
Old 12 October 2017, 10:03   #19
Amigajay

Quote:
Ok, maybe a bit harsh but still true IMHO... you can't deny the fact that CD32 games are really nothing more than A500 / A1200 games with additional audio tracks slapped on??? Who cares; nothing ground-breaking there really besides maybe 10 games maximum...

...and there were sooooo many better consoles out at the time; please don't make me list them; I can't be bothered. You know what I'm talking about though

What I accidently left out from my post above yours is that:

If it wasn't for people like "Amigajay" and "earok" that are bringing "classic" Amiga games that everyone remembers to the CD32 console after many, many hard hours of work; where would this system be?
That's a thing I don't get, yes they were Amiga games on disc, but why care, if the game was good that's what they were always going to be, I don't get that poeple were surprised, at the time it was great to have Amiga games plus added extras like an intro, cd audio, full speech in games, and the big point of no disk swapping all plus points, yes it got a lot of ports but this in the end was down to Commodore going bankrupt and companies just saying stick it on disc basically.

As you would know there was plenty of non Amiga disk CD32 games in the pipeline that sadly never had the chance to be finished.

Imo there wasn't soooo many better consoles Damien, you had the expensive cartridge consoles, the aged CDi, and the only one I was interested in the 3DO was $600 and not out until late 94 in Europe, by which time the PSX rumours were just hitting, so in 1993 the CD32 was still the machine I would pick, of course it wasn't perfect nothing was but as an A500 owner it was the logical next step and I don't regret buying it at all.

Thanks the comment at the bottom, and yes I agree to some extent if there were no homebrew discs the system would be more obscure and cheaper! But the same could be said for any retro system having games still being made for it.

Last edited by Amigajay; 12 October 2017 at 10:13.
Old 12 October 2017, 14:57   #20
SimonCD32
Amiga Diva

ha ha some strong opinions in here! Thanks all