English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 24 June 2008, 03:49   #1
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
New Sonic the Hedgehog Amiga Fangame Project

It's something a lot of people wanted forever, but never got. Sonic the Hedgehog, although promised by Sega to be released on Amiga, never happened. Whether it was because Sega thought it would threaten Mega Drive sales, or if they thought it couldn't be done on the A500, we'll probably never know. Over the years, we upgraded our Amigas and installed Master System emulators and played those fun, but sub-par Sonic games released for Sega's 8bit systems. We viewed fake demos, and saw complete ripoffs, but we never had a real Amiga version of Sonic.

We should change that! There are plenty of Sonic fangames available for Windows, some for X-Box 360, and even a Spectrum version! While the Amiga probably won't get an exact replica of the Mega Drive game, we can make our own original game in the same style as the Mega Drive games, using ripped and edited graphics and sounds.

As there's no platform game engine available to use, unless a coder wants to help out, we'll have to use Backbone or something similar. I've been playing around with Backbone, and through EXTENSIVE tweaking, have come up with what is as close as you can get to Sonic using Backbone (which is an old freeware platform game maker, made partially in Amos). I can't code, so this is as good as I can do for now. I've tried to get the speed, animation, inertia and controls to feel like the real thing, but of course Backbone wasn't designed for these types of games. For example, it only allows you to choose a single frame of animation for your jump and fall, so it doesn't let you animate Sonic spinning around when he jumps. It also can't make enemies die when you roll into them, or when you jump at them from beneath. There are no diagonal tiles, and no moving platforms, or platforms that fall away when you stand on them.

Despite these limitations, I think we can still come up with a pretty fun game. I want to make this project open for the whole Amiga community to contribute to. Anyone is welcome to download Backbone (and its updates) from Aminet, and create their own levels. I can provide the game files I have created so far for people to test their levels with, and once they have made either some levels, tilesets, sprites or music for the game, they can submit it to us, where we can quality-test it and integrade it into the game. It has the potential to be massive if everyone has a go at adding a level or two, and it's really easy to do since there's a whole bunch of sites full of Sonic graphic rips.

So, to show you what I'm proposing, I have made a quick one-level demo of Sonic in Backbone. I have made two versions, one is for expanded Amigas, and really needs a 030/50 or better to run at a playable speed. The other runs in a much smaller screen, but is quicker, and should hopefully be playable on any Amiga. I have tested it on the CD32 and it was alright.

So, here are the files. Download and (hopefully) enjoy:

Expanded Amigas - http://www.spin.net.au/~amiga/Sonic.lha
All Amigas - http://www.spin.net.au/~amiga/Sonic500.lha
CD32 - http://www.spin.net.au/~amiga/SonicCD32.zip

Extract the game to a directory in Workbench and double click the icon. The game can be played with the control pad or joystick or keyboard. For that authentic Sonic feel, plug in a Mega Drive pad. The CD32 version needs to be burnt with MakeCD on the Amiga or something like Alcohol 120% on Windows. It should boot on any CD32. The game works in both PAL and NTSC, whichever your system is running in. It won't run on RTG or AmigaOS4 or anything like that, this is a game made with an OLD Amiga program for OCS Amigas.

If anyone wants to get involved, shout out.
Old 24 June 2008, 04:21   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Rebel-CD32

want me to convert some of the sonic midi's to protracker mods?
Old 24 June 2008, 04:24   #3
Amiga1992

I say we should wait for the Mr. Beanbag engine to start making this, as suggested by cammy.
I am definitely up for gfx converting and music making.

Don't mess with MIDI bullshit, the MIDIs are shit.
And I suggest the use of an optimized "synth" music engine like AHX, but if that's impossible, Protracker should do.
Old 24 June 2008, 04:33   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I can help convert virtually any format
Old 24 June 2008, 05:01   #5
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Zetro, I would love it if you could convert any Sonic music to the Amiga. I have the original Mega Drive music files if you need them (.vgz format).

Akira, we figured that it could be a while before the Mr. Beanbag engine is released, if it ever is. For now, we can just put together the best game we can with Backbone, and then make a new game when the Beanbag engine comes out. This game doesn't have to be "THE SONIC GAME" for Amiga, but ONE Sonic game for Amiga. For example, it could be called "Sonic Trash" and the next one "Sonic Smash" or whatever. Doesn't have to be "Sonic Amiga 1" and "Sonic Amiga 2"... you know what I mean? If this first game turns out shit compared to the next one we make with the Beanbag engine, they don't have to be related. We could always just reuse all the graphics, sounds and music for a revised Beanbag-edition anyway.

However, if we use Backbone, the mods must be in Protracker format, nothing cool and custom.

I really DO hope that Tricky releases the Mr. Beanbag engine, but Backbone is still alright for now, have a go of the demo and you'll see it's not all THAT bad, as long as your Amiga is fast enough.
Old 24 June 2008, 07:18   #6
viddi

Good morning.

I think this is an awesome idea!!

Just a thought:

Backbone can play iff anims.
Why not record the original animated title screen and include it in our Amiga version?
Old 24 June 2008, 07:55   #7
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
that demo in backbone looks really good

IMHO sonic is THAT sonic because of two things: features (spinning, loosing rings etc) and levels (they are well known). So if we want a soni it must have same features and atleast very similar levels, otherwise it will be still sonic clone
Old 24 June 2008, 08:12   #8
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
There are tools that allow to get the GFX without ripping them, but instead get them as they should be.
Old 24 June 2008, 12:45   #9
Old Fool
Zone Friend

Hey!! Sonic that works on A500???!!! Please dudes, continue on this!
Old 24 June 2008, 14:34   #10
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi View Post
Good morning.

I think this is an awesome idea!!

Just a thought:

Backbone can play iff anims.
Why not record the original animated title screen and include it in our Amiga version?
Nice idea you can get some nice results converting MPEG to Anim - Also I think your backbone Golden Axe 3 game was mentioned in Micro Mart did you see it?

Rebel-CD32 Id love to see a full level of Sonic so keep up the good work!!!
Old 24 June 2008, 14:35   #11
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

just like to pipe up and say cool project, but i disagree Rebel`s statement about Sonic on the SMS... imho, it plays better than the MD version.

that is all! carry on.......
Old 24 June 2008, 14:43   #12
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
Zetro, I would love it if you could convert any Sonic music to the Amiga. I have the original Mega Drive music files if you need them (.vgz format).
Conversion will be not so straightforward, having in mind the big differencies between the music architecture of both machines. You have many, many less channels in the Amiga.

But I'd be up to that challenge, I love this kind of limitations.

The same can be said about anything. Converting with software just gives tame results, that need to be further handcrafted by someone. You can convert the graphics with an utility but the end result will be shit and not as nice as doing it by soft+a hand retouching. As I said, I passed through these steps converting gfx for NeoGeo Pocket games, which use a max of 2+1 colors on the sprites!

What player in Mac casn I use to give a listen to those vgzs? send them to me and I'll start the reinterpretation

Quote:
Akira, we figured that it could be a while before the Mr. Beanbag engine is released, if it ever is. For now, we can just put together the best game we can with Backbone, and then make a new game when the Beanbag engine comes out.
Well, just worried about two things:
- first, you will have to redo all from scratch the second time.
- second, backbone will certainly not be as optimized, and things like fast,smooth scroll (one of the keys in the Sonic games), will not be very possible. Though,Sonic 1 is not THAT fast, my gauge always looks into Sonic 2, which I think is the definitive Sonic game. It also helps to make a bridge with the NeoGeo Pocket version, which is pretty damn spot on, keeping all the main aspects of Sonic 2, but with a set of limits. We could learn a lot from this version.

I will try the demos, I been slacking around to do that, I have them already in my 1200. Also, we should try to stick to one platform, and I think a stock A1200 would be enough...
Old 24 June 2008, 18:43   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Really nice work Rebel-CD32
It's really good for the given limitations of Backbone.
Keep it up!
Old 24 June 2008, 18:44   #14
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

thank you
It's really fast with winuae even too fast .
I think on 060 50 mhz and winuae you could add multi scrolling ! ?
Old 24 June 2008, 19:03   #15
OddbOd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
What player in Mac can I use to give a listen to those vgzs? send them to me and I'll start the reinterpretation
Grab the tunes from Project2612 and for a player try Audio Overload.
Old 24 June 2008, 19:05   #16
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Tried both Amiga versions. As you already said, the version for expanded miggy's is really slow. I got maybe 10-15 frames with my 030/42Mhz card.

The A500 version runs much faster, of course. It's pretty playable, but not good for your eyes.
Old 24 June 2008, 20:33   #17
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Nice idea you can get some nice results converting MPEG to Anim - Also I think your backbone Golden Axe 3 game was mentioned in Micro Mart did you see it?
Shit, I missed it. Please post a link. Thanks.

I´ll do the anim conversion tom. I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Tried both Amiga versions. As you already said, the version for expanded miggy's is really slow. I got maybe 10-15 frames with my 030/42Mhz card.

The A500 version runs much faster, of course. It's pretty playable, but not good for your eyes.
Well, Ambermoon Arcade for example will be in 64 colours and damn slow on 020.
10-15 fps on 030 is the maximum, I´m afraid.
Old 24 June 2008, 21:01   #18
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Akira / Rebel_CD32

I was thinking of re-sampling the music and then re-sequencing it on pro tracker

might even throw in a few extra re-mixes

I will need the files so link would be nice
Old 24 June 2008, 21:25   #19
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@Akira / Rebel_CD32

I was thinking of re-sampling the music and then re-sequencing it on pro tracker

might even throw in a few extra re-mixes
Great idea, my friend.
Old 24 June 2008, 22:04   #20
Amiga1992

That might prove inefficient. You have to keep in mind memory constraints.

Let a pro have a go, punk :P