English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 06 August 2013, 02:10   #1
GeoKM

Question e-uae bsdsocket.library with tcpip servers (telnetd)??

Hi All,

I am running e-uae in a virtual machine using AmigaForever's KXLight and would like to run some tcp services on it. (ie. Telnet and ftp). bsdsocket is enabled in the .uaerc file, so TCPIP clients like AWeb have no issue getting out.

But

In order to run telnetd etc I would need AmiTCP etc installed wouldn't I?

How will that work with bsdsocket.library enabled?

Or is there a device available for AmiTCP that will connect and listen via the bsdsocket service?

Thanks.

Last edited by GeoKM; 06 August 2013 at 02:13. Reason: fix subject

Old 06 August 2013, 11:05   #2
thomas

You cannot install another TCP/IP stack if bsdsocket is enabled. Only WinUAE can run Amiga TCP/IP stacks because it emulates a real network card (A2065 or UAENET).

But you could try to run inetd from the AmiTCP package with E-UAE's bsdsocket.library.
Old 06 August 2013, 12:55   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You cannot install another TCP/IP stack if bsdsocket is enabled. Only WinUAE can run Amiga TCP/IP stacks because it emulates a real network card (A2065 or UAENET).

But you could try to run inetd from the AmiTCP package with E-UAE's bsdsocket.library.
I have been running AmiTCP and bsdsocket together for over a year, without issue. Have to admit though, never tried AmiTradeCentre.
Old 06 August 2013, 19:06   #4
thomas

Maybe I used the wrong words. Surely you can *install* it, but you cannot *run* it. There can only be one active bsdsocket.library, either the one from WinUAE or the one from AmiTCP.
Old 09 August 2013, 05:03   #5
GeoKM

Question

During the AmiTCP Install and Miami (from memory) they ask for a device (ie. cslip.device, A2065.device etc).

What would I use if I intend to use the inbuilt bsdsocket in e-uae, any ideas?

What did you use FOL?

Thanks.

Old 09 August 2013, 09:28   #6
thomas

You cannot do this. Miami or AmiTCP is the interface between for example A2065.device (= Ethernet) and bsdsocket.library (= TCP/IP). Those programs create bsdsocket.library in memory in order to access A2065.device through TCP/IP. This does not work if another bsdsocket.library is already in memory. You cannot use Miami or AmiTCP or the like while UAE's bsdsocket.library is active.

As I said above, your only option with E-UAE is to try to use components from the AmiTCP package with UAE's bsdsocket.library. But you cannot run AmiTCP itself because it is not able to create its own bsdsocket.library while another one is already there.

WinUAE has got true Ethernet emulation. With this enabled you can use AmiTCP or Miami. But not with E-UAE.
Old 09 August 2013, 12:34   #7
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKM View Post
During the AmiTCP Install and Miami (from memory) they ask for a device (ie. cslip.device, A2065.device etc).

What would I use if I intend to use the inbuilt bsdsocket in e-uae, any ideas?

What did you use FOL?

Thanks.
I would go with what thomas says. I cheated. I made an image of the A4000T (that died) here. I ran it in WinUAE and it all works fine. I didn't alter anything, so its still loading AmiTCP, not sure why.