English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 November 2013, 00:12   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

HD with Usb to ATA/IDE bridge

Hi:
I've bought an Hitachi ATA/Ide 80Gb Hd and unfortunately it seems my floppy drive doesn't work in this A1200, so I've connected it with an adapter using Usb to the Pc.

Well, first to say that although the Pc (Windows 7) was somehow detecting it, it wasn't shown between my units as Hd, so after reading a bit I've seen that I had to initialize it (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...7itprohardware), using Disk Manager.

Well, I have the Hd shown, but now to start even starting WinUAE as administrator, when I add the Hard Drive it doesn't let me click on "read/write", no matter that I select it as UAE or IDE0. Later HDToolBox doesn't show the drive of course.

Help please.
Old 14 November 2013, 00:19   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

I'm assuming that Disk Manager hasn't created any Windows partitions on the drive.

Did you try the hotfix to update your USB driver?
Old 14 November 2013, 00:22   #3
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Nope. I will try, thanks. By now the volume is marked as correct, partition primary, active.
Old 14 November 2013, 00:29   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

If the primary partition is marked active and all you have done is initialize it, then you will need to delete the primary (Windows) partition anyway before you can mount it in WinUAE with HDToolBox.

Maybe you won't need the hotfix in that case.
Old 14 November 2013, 01:07   #5
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yep, deleting the partition with Diskpart I can select it with WinUAE. Well, in fact Thomas commented this time ago.

Now it lets me prepare the disk selecting it as UAE. Thanks Prowler.
Old 14 November 2013, 13:18   #6
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Just to comment a couple of things: I installed all my games on DH2 on WinUAE, but after installing the Hd on the miggy DH1 and DH2 were uninitiallized, so I've had to format them again. After a reboot they were still uninitiallized, so I've installed the fast ata program and later after formatting them they keep ok.

Another thing. I don't have an idea why using a Cf Hd on my Tv if I try to use SuperPlus without a flickerfixer it appears very dark and flickering on the screen, but using this Hd I can watch it ok. Well, it's larger than the screen, but as I say I can watch it perfect. Edit: Dunno... Perhaps this Scart isn't from Amigakit-
Edit: I don't know what I've changed, but now I can't watch SuperPlus any more again through scart.

And the last: Formerly with my changes on ACATune I could get till 10,00 Mips with my ACA1231/42.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
There are no plans for a faster version. This one is already tweaked to the max, and the design is based on a QFP CPU, which is not available as a 50MHz version.

Compared to the Blizzard 1230-IV, which uses a 50MHz processor, the ACA1231 is still faster, despite it's lower clock rate. While the Blizzard 1230-IV shows 9.88 MIPS in Sysinfo, the ACA1231 shows 9.94MIPS, sometimes 9.98MIPS (Sysinfo isn't all that accurate and depends on cache alignment and setpatch version).

Don't let the MHz number confuse you. The ACA1231 is absolutely in the highest 68030 class that you can think of, and the reason is it's superfast memory. The first-access penalty is even faster than on the old 56MHz card, which makes it faster on a cache-miss.

Jens
Now with this Hitachi Hd I get 10,02 Mips.

Edit: After reconnecting the Hd to the Pc and running HDToolbox it found some changes on the HD, and after saving them now (after the formats I've made) the contents of DH2 -my 4Gb games- are there again and also on my miggy.

I wonder why I can not get more than +-9,500,000 of speed on DH0/Pio 5 (the same I get with a Cf) when this same hardrive can get much more with a Fast Ata MK III:

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?n=3721

It must be the accelerator has something to say here ?¿

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 November 2013 at 02:14.