English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 October 2013, 19:28   #1
brolly

CDTV Long Boxes

Anyone knows how many games were released in these? I'm aware of 2 : Defender of the Crown and Spirit of Excalibur.
Were there more?

And does anyone own any of these? They are insanely pricey on ebay. I'm curious on how the actual games came packaged inside them, do they also include a jewel case? Any special goodies added?
Old 07 October 2013, 17:58   #2
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brolly View Post
Anyone knows how many games were released in these? I'm aware of 2 : Defender of the Crown and Spirit of Excalibur.
Were there more?
Not sure if they count, but the CD32 versions of Impossible Mission 2025 and Gunship 2000 were released in long, narrow hardcover book style folders that opened up (like a book). When opened, the instruction booklet was glued down on to the right inside cover of the folder and the CD compartment was contained on left inside cover.

Quote:
And does anyone own any of these? They are insanely pricey on ebay. I'm curious on how the actual games came packaged inside them, do they also include a jewel case? Any special goodies added?
I own a copy of Defender of the Crown CDTV that came in the long box, as pictured in HOL (see HERE). Bought it for a song from a TradeMe seller in New Zealand around 2005. IIRC there was nothing special inside the box - just the game in a shrinkwrapped CD case with the usual cover inlays etc..
Old 07 October 2013, 21:52   #3
brolly

Ah yes I'm aware of those 2, I was asking about the same boxes as Defender of the Crown.
They actually look pretty cool so I was wondering if there were any more games released in such boxes. I wonder if Spirit of Excalibur also had the game in a jewel case box inside it because I've never seen pictures or scans of those.

Since you own a boxed Defender of the Crown any chance you could tell me if there are any writings in the spines such as the game logo or so? I'd also be interested on knowing the exact box dimensions as I'm redoing these boxes in isometric style for HyperSpin and would be nice if I could get them accurate.
Old 02 November 2013, 19:03   #4
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brolly View Post
Ah yes I'm aware of those 2, I was asking about the same boxes as Defender of the Crown.
They actually look pretty cool so I was wondering if there were any more games released in such boxes. I wonder if Spirit of Excalibur also had the game in a jewel case box inside it because I've never seen pictures or scans of those.
I'm not aware of any others, but then again I didn't know that Spirit of Excalibur was in that exclusive club either!

Quote:
Since you own a boxed Defender of the Crown any chance you could tell me if there are any writings in the spines such as the game logo or so? I'd also be interested on knowing the exact box dimensions as I'm redoing these boxes in isometric style for HyperSpin and would be nice if I could get them accurate.
Nothing special on the spines - just the game name, serial number (i.e. CDT-3001) and CDTV logo. The box dimensions are 30cm (L) x 14.4cm (W) x 1.2cm (D). Perhaps some scans of the spines would help?
Old 03 November 2013, 18:19   #5
brolly

Thanks! Interesting, I always thought the boxes were thicker than 1.2cm.
Some scans would be just perfect if you have the time.
Old 14 June 2015, 16:11   #6
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Big apologies, completely forgot about this early last year after I realised that I'd have to hook up an A3 scanner to scan the DOTC CDTV box. Unfortunately, work 'n' life then really kicked my arse and I had to disappear again from this place (and even HOL) until more recently.

Anyway, luckily I have access to a work photocopier/scanner now and was able to dump some 600dpi scans into a PDF for you. Hope you can still make use of them....in the Zone.