English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 02 August 2022, 07:32   #1
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

That infamous Amiga 500 hacking scene from Neighbours

Turns out many of us misremembered it. It was actually a C64 and it wasn't Todd Landers (Kristian Schmid) doing the hacking. Funny how memory plays tricks on you like that. I'm sure though, the family did own an Amiga 500 at some point.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 02 August 2022, 08:30   #2
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Paul Robinson had an A500 in his Lassiters office back in the day for sure. I fondly remember those blue & orange Workbench 1.3 tones and the Clock being open
Old 02 August 2022, 11:04   #3
capehorn

I vaguely remember the BBC continuity announcer warning us as the credits rolled that computer hacking was illegal in the UK and not to do it! Was that for this episode?
Old 02 August 2022, 14:04   #4
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Yep, that's right. Paul definitely had an Amiga 500 in the office. Looking back at episode guides it's surprising how often computers are featured/specifically worked into the plot rather than just being background props.

Josh gets a new computer for his birthday in a later episode than the one I uploaded so I imagine that marks the arrival of his upgrade, the Amiga 500.

That sounds exactly like something the BBC would do, especially when a large proportion of a show's audience is known to be comprised of kids. They probably thought that any kid could turn on a computer, push the hack button and instantly steal money from the local bank.
Old 02 August 2022, 16:47   #5
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
Turns out many of us misremembered it. It was actually a C64 and it wasn't Todd Landers (Kristian Schmid) doing the hacking. Funny how memory plays tricks on you like that. I'm sure though, the family did own an Amiga 500 at some point.
There is Amiga 500 in neighbours:

[ Show youtube player ]

But it is not booted, just the Kickstart hand on the screen.
Old 02 August 2022, 16:50   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yet she was typing on it Ah tech mistakes in TV entertainment. You can create a book about it.
Old 02 August 2022, 17:53   #7
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
I vaguely remember the BBC continuity announcer warning us as the credits rolled that computer hacking was illegal in the UK and not to do it! Was that for this episode?
"Hacking is easy, don't copy the hacking you see in Neighbours as it is 100% realistic and will lead to the fall of world governments!"
Old 02 August 2022, 19:46   #8
van_dammesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
"Hacking is easy, don't copy the hacking you see in Neighbours as it is 100% realistic and will lead to the fall of world governments!"
1st Chapter of Galahad's autobiography
Old 03 August 2022, 12:34   #9
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I hadn't seen that clip before, drHirudo, thanks. Priceless muppetry! Why even focus on the screen if the producers couldn't be bothered booting up some sort of office productivity software? If we saw her typing and talking about work issues that would have been enough to sell the idea something businessy is going on.

I've uploaded a few more clips...

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 August 2022, 13:26   #10
dreadnought

Quote:
Why even focus on the screen if the producers couldn't be bothered booting up some sort of office productivity software?

Come on, this was in a soap opera, so not exactly Schindler's List-level production. Also, just enough detail for their target audience. They had it switched on, after all
Old 03 August 2022, 13:30   #11
Fiery Phoenix

Aaaaah The Alessi twins!

I never noticed the Amiga!
Old 03 August 2022, 14:21   #12
drHirudo
Amiga user

In the site starring the computer there are many Amiga occurrences in the movies, but the list is far from complete. For example in the War of the Worlds (1988) ? Sci-fi in on of the episodes an alien boy uses Workbench 1.3 for prolonged time and it is shown on the screen.

Also, Amiga is seen in plenty of adult movies from early to mid 1990-ies, but the list is too NSFW.
Old 03 August 2022, 14:44   #13
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Haha! Good point, dreadnought. Millions of people likely saw the floppy disk prompt and didn't think anything was amiss for a split second. It's a computer in an office. The boxy thing holding the moving images is lit, job done. No need to consult anyone with even the most basic knowledge of the system.

They were indeedy very distracting and it looks like time has been kind to the Alessi twins.

I suppose 'Starring the Computer' relies on a number of factors to coincide for it to be a useful resource given that it's community-driven. People watching old TV shows/movies need to be of a certain age and also notice, recognise and care about the computers they spot. Then also be aware of the main website where these sightings are reported and actually be motivated to contribute. All things considered, it's quite a long shot.
Old 04 August 2022, 08:26   #14
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_dammesque View Post
1st Chapter of Galahad's autobiography
More like, "A book worth reading, is a book worth buying"

Speaking of books, http://b-ok.global great place for university books.

Last edited by redblade; 04 August 2022 at 08:33.
Old 05 August 2022, 10:33   #15
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

More Neighbours Amiga 500 virus shenanigans...

[ Show youtube player ]

I can't decide if 'wooden horse' was a goof or something deliberately written into the script. Trojan horses are in fact typically wooden, so...

Can anyone identify what sort of computer Paul owned before the Amiga 500?

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by dreamkatcha; 06 August 2022 at 09:39.
Old 08 August 2022, 11:47   #16
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Can anyone identify what sort of computer Paul owned before the Amiga 500?
It looks like Apple IIc Plus :

https://www.google.com/search?q=apple+iic%2B+&tbm=isch
Old 08 August 2022, 13:49   #17
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Maybe they changed the end credits for the UK but I remember during the credits a big C= logo and computers supplied by commodore australia. I also miss-remembered the hacking scene as an a500.
Old 08 August 2022, 14:52   #18
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Thanks. That's a cute, goofy-looking contraption. It reminds me a bit of Short Circuit. Never seen one like that before. I'm familiar with the model number but only with regards to emulation.

Yes, I'd imagine whoever supplied the computer tech would have been plugged in the end credits. I'd have to go back to check how they went about it though. I know the exact date of the episode in which Paul had his A500 delivered, yet don't have the actual footage. So frustrating I can't revisit that one.
Old 08 August 2022, 17:57   #19
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Maybe they changed the end credits for the UK but I remember during the credits a big C= logo and computers supplied by commodore australia. I also miss-remembered the hacking scene as an a500.

Not forgetting also "Fiona Corkes wardrobe by Kamizole"
Old 08 August 2022, 20:05   #20
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

So if you've ever dreamed of attending a fancy dress party looking like Gail Robinson circa late 1980s you know who to contact.

Re: the Commodore credits plug, I've not managed to find anything fancier than the basic thank you text shown in the attached image.

More vintage computing nostalgia from our Neighbours down under...

Josh hacks the Erinsborough High school computer, part 1. The first video posted is now part 2 since I found an earlier episode which lays the groundwork. The dial-up modem prop is hilariously shoddy!

[ Show youtube player ]

Gail abandons running the Robinson empire to master Frogger on the Apple IIc Plus office computer...

[ Show youtube player ]

Josh and Todd 'Mash the Potato' with a Commodore 64 (a game Josh coded himself, which explains why you won't find it in the Lemon64 database)...

[ Show youtube player ]

Des reprograms the bank's Corona PPC-400 portable PC...

[ Show youtube player ]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Neighbours - Commodore - 1992.png
Views:	75
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	76275  

Last edited by dreamkatcha; 11 August 2022 at 10:49.