English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 28 June 2010, 15:26   #1
CU_AMiGA
Banned

Dodgy Icons Graphics In AmigaOS 3.9 (Under AGA)

Hi

I have AmigaOS 3.9 installed on my hard drive. I decided to go back into AGA mode for something. I normally use the Picasso 96 screenmode (i have Picasso IV). But under AGA the icons seem to go corrupted (the icon graphics) when i click on them. Sometimes even the desktop itself goes corrupted when you click a mouse button. I heard these symptoms occur when your AmigaOS isnt installed properly. When i installed AmigaOS 3.9 i didnt use the emergancy disk (for some reason this wouldnt work - errors), instead i just insatalled AmigaOS 3.9 straight away, and then once again on top (a method backed by thomas way back). So i m not sure wot to do. I was going to try and reinstall again using the emergancy disk but i will wait for peoples opinions here!

Regards
Old 28 June 2010, 17:26   #2
thomas

Even if you select an AGA screenmode, Picasso96 is still active. Move the PicassoIV driver from Devs/Monitors to Storage/Monitors and reboot in order to deactivate it.

Edit: and run Prefs/Workbench and change "store icons in" from "other memory" to "graphics memory".
Old 28 June 2010, 17:32   #3
CU_AMiGA
Banned

hhhmmm i ll try that! thanks!
Old 28 June 2010, 21:18   #4
CU_AMiGA
Banned

yep you were right thomas. working fine now! thanks!
Old 28 June 2010, 23:03   #5
PeterK

Hello CU_AMiGA,

it's not really necessary to disable the P96 driver or to switch to "graphics memory" in Prefs/Workbench. You can also use ECS/AGA modes without graphics corruption when you mark "Disable Amiga Blitter" in Prefs/PVS (the Picasso96 Variable Settings). Maybe PVS is located in your Picasso96 drawer instead?
Old 29 June 2010, 16:46   #6
CU_AMiGA
Banned

its ok dude problem is sorted! thanks
Old 29 June 2010, 18:58   #7
PeterK

Yeah, but with my method you can switch screenmodes on the fly from P96 to AGA or vice versa at any time without changing your settings or even removing the monitor driver. Please remember that also your applications may want to open an ECS/AGA screen directly.

Ok, I don't know if my method works with a PicassoIV card, but I had exactly the same problem as you with P96 <-> AGA on WinUAE.

Last edited by PeterK; 29 June 2010 at 19:10.
Old 23 July 2016, 00:00   #8
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Yeah, but with my method you can switch screenmodes on the fly from P96 to AGA or vice versa at any time without changing your settings or even removing the monitor driver. Please remember that also your applications may want to open an ECS/AGA screen directly.

Ok, I don't know if my method works with a PicassoIV card, but I had exactly the same problem as you with P96 <-> AGA on WinUAE.
Are you able to explain why this is happening? I'm also seeing it on an A4000 and either switching to Chip Memory or using PVS' Disable Blitter seems to be working, but I'd like to understand why (partly because I'm in the process of setting up a new Mediator and want to rule that out as a factor).

(and yes, I know I'm replying 6 years late
Old 23 July 2016, 10:18   #9
thomas

Moving gfx data around on an RTG gfx card has to be done by the CPU anyway, therefore P96 allocates bitmaps in Fast RAM for speed. In Prefs/Workbench you can tell WB to do the same.

However, if you open a native screen, the screen's bitmap must reside in Chip RAM because the Amiga native gfx chips can only access Chip RAM. And moving around bitmaps in Chip RAM is fastest done by the Amiga blitter which can access only Chip RAM, too.

Now there is a conflict if a custom bitmap (not allocated by AllocBitMap) is located in Fast RAM but should be copied to the native display. If you try to do this with the blitter it will copy some random Chip RAM instead of the Fast RAM where the bitmap is located.

Therefore you have to disable the Amiga blitter and use the CPU to copy bitmaps if the bitmaps reside in Fast RAM and the display is in Chip RAM.
Old 23 July 2016, 21:46   #10
PeterK

Well, what should I say now ??
Couldn't explain it better than thomas.
Old 27 August 2016, 13:13   #11
cmsj

Thanks thomas, that was very clear