English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 26 May 2017, 10:47   #1
Sim085

Default action on click

Hello,

At the moment when I double click on an icon which does not a .info linked to it I need to write multiview before icon name to get this to execute. I was wondering if there is a way how on double click of an icon other elemts such as file extension could be used to determine which tool to use to open a file without the need to ask user, example extension in file name?
Old 26 May 2017, 12:03   #2
Daedalus

OS 3.9 has this built in, but for 3.1 (and probably older) you can install the DefIcons patch, which does this job for you. It's part of the NewIcons package.
Old 26 May 2017, 13:10   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

A sistem OS Amiga updated recognizes and assigns the right tool even when
extension is missing or wrong, and when it has no icon, see my old video example

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 May 2017, 17:50   #4
Sim085

I have GlowIcons installed (came with BetterWB). How do I know if DefIcons is installed / patched?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
OS 3.9 has this built in, but for 3.1 (and probably older) you can install the DefIcons patch, which does this job for you. It's part of the NewIcons package.
Old 26 May 2017, 20:12   #5
Daedalus

You should have a preferences program for setting the DefIcons actions, the ENVARC:sys/ drawer should be full of lots of default icons (def.jpg.info, def_test.info and so on...), and icons without an icon should appear differently depending on what filetype they are.

It doesn't sound like it's installed there, or if it is, it's not running or not installed properly. You can always download NewIcons and install it - I can't remember if NewIcons can be installed separately, so back up your current setup just in case.
Old 26 May 2017, 20:56   #6
Nobby_UK

IDer uses Header/Extension details to run the required prog...
http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/IDer

I don't know what this is though :
http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/IDerPrefs
Old 26 May 2017, 23:20   #7
Sim085

I have installed DefIcons. I can see that this also creates deficons.prefs. How do I edit this. For example can I add different file types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
You should have a preferences program for setting the DefIcons actions, the ENVARC:sys/ drawer should be full of lots of default icons (def.jpg.info, def_test.info and so on...), and icons without an icon should appear differently depending on what filetype they are.
Old 27 May 2017, 20:51   #8
Daedalus

There should be a preferences program that lets you set the filetypes and their properties. At least there is in the version that comes with OS 3.9... If not, there might be a textfile you can edit or something - check the documentation to see if it mentions anything.