English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 December 2016, 12:49   #21
clebin

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but what's the score for A1000 and A2000 users?

Do we need an adapter to make it physically fit in those machines? Is it something we can buy elsewhere on the web, can we order them with the V500, or is it just a matter of waiting? Thanks!
Old 05 December 2016, 13:17   #22
Codetsu

yep i make order soon as i can.
even it not fit my A2000

it's funny i have been wait it for 2-or more year to come
and saying i will get one as soon it fit in my A500 or A2000
and write all Email. saying i want one and a again i must write some page for ordering one. i hope now i really get one and hope not get 10 of them xD
Old 05 December 2016, 14:06   #23
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but what's the score for A1000 and A2000 users?

Do we need an adapter to make it physically fit in those machines? Is it something we can buy elsewhere on the web, can we order them with the V500, or is it just a matter of waiting? Thanks!
Hi,

The V500 will fit and work in an a2000, either in the cpu slot or the coprocessor slot (with an adapter)
Old 05 December 2016, 14:07   #24
Overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin View Post
I have to agree with the guys defending the expense.

I should say I am one of those that put their name down when the vampire 600 was 90 eur, received nothing and am now being asked to pay 250 eur for (practically) the same thing 3 years late. Obviously it is very hard for me not to be... shall we say... disappointed.

I placed my order (at 290 eur) for the black version without delay.

Same goes for Jens. In what land do you pay 130 eur for a 100mbps network card? In Amiga-land of course (that reminds me I need to buy another...)

Fact is at cheap prices, these things weren't getting made in any number. Going off to (perhaps expensive) manufacturing, and hopefully some extra money in the calculations to make the guys an actual profit means that these things will actually get made, new ones get designed and hopefully there'll end up enough out there for a reasonably active community. That it also limits the ebay gougers is no bad thing.

We have to also remember its not like there's any kind of huge market for Amiga stuff any more. All the time, energy and one-off costs go into maybe 1000 units? 2000 if we're lucky?

Nah, while it is galling - the promise of A600 utopia for 90 eur was a beautiful thing - but I'd much rather pay my 290 eur, actually get a board, and not see the guys that have the skills to create such things get pissed off and leave the scene altogether.
Just leaving out the discussion of price;

Its odd you didnt get anything before since you pre-ordered..? Did you sign up on the Amibay thread? I see alot of people that has waited for a good while, myself included, and we kept requenting IRC. I poked Kipper there to verify that the order was in etc.
Not to grind salt in your wound, but again, very suprised you had to wait this long.
Old 05 December 2016, 14:25   #25
jarp

Why does one even need to justify the price? Two words: free market. Go and buy Blizzard 1260 instead if you feel the price is unfair.
Old 05 December 2016, 14:59   #26
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Hi,

The V500 will fit and work in an a2000, either in the cpu slot or the coprocessor slot (with an adapter)
What about the A1000?

I added the A2000 as I thought other people would find it helpful but it's the A1000 I'm personally interested in. Thanks again!
Old 05 December 2016, 15:04   #27
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
What about the A1000?

I added the A2000 as I thought other people would find it helpful but it's the A1000 I'm personally interested in. Thanks again!
Yup, the V500+ works in a500/1000/2000 and cdtv

there are a few vids of v500 running in an a1k on youtube somewhere
Old 05 December 2016, 15:16   #28
emufan

in another thread someone ask if the Vampire V500 V2 (+) works with an A500Plus too. can you confirm this?
Old 05 December 2016, 15:17   #29
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
in another thread - i cannot find atm - someone ask if the Vampire V500 V2 (+) works with an A500Plus too. can you confirm this?
Works in all versions of A500s,
Old 05 December 2016, 15:18   #30
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Works in all versions of A500s,
ok, thanks, meanwhile i found the thread
Old 05 December 2016, 15:43   #31
bubbob42

Are there any vids or pictures with a V500 in a CDTV? Does it fit without modifications of the machine?

CDTV with 68080 power - that would be a dream come true
Old 05 December 2016, 19:39   #32
Omolungo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
It does work with CDTV, though you have to disable the CDTV expansion ROM, so the CD drive doesn't work. I have the Vampire 500 in the CDTV right now. It doesn't physically fit without moving some caps and a couple other things around-that is unless you want to use four-or-so 68000 sockets, but then you can't close the case. With Kipper's A1000 board flipped upside down it fits well enough after the other modifications. Also I made the IDE connector right angle. Case does close.
Is it possible for you to show us some pics?
Just to see how many work needs the CDTV to fit the V500.

About the CD drive not working, an italian developer from Apollo Team told me that it depends from address of memory but it should be an issue easy to fix: simply needs a reprogram of Vampire memory address

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
helped Kipper with another 68000 CPU adapter so it would fit with less-to-no modifications, don't know if he finished it.
It would be really great, I'm regreat in modifing the original motherboard of CDTV.
Kipper please do it!!!
Old 05 December 2016, 20:40   #33
utri007
mä vaan

It would be fair to say that it doesn't work in current state with CDTV. It works if CDTV's roms are disabled.

I would require modification to mobo to be able to close lid. That would be also fair to say.
Old 05 December 2016, 21:38   #34
Omolungo

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
It would be fair to say that it doesn't work in current state with CDTV. It works if CDTV's roms are disabled.

I would require modification to mobo to be able to close lid. That would be also fair to say.
It should be possible to close the case, as said by grelbfarlk, if the new 68000 socket will be finished by kipper2k.

Also the problem with CD-ROM should be solved by Apollo Team: it would be a shame to have a vampirized CDTV without working CD-ROM, it would not be a real CDTV
Old 06 December 2016, 09:34   #35
grond

I believe there are hardly any real obstacles with regard to the CDTV. It just needs to be done. However, I am not even sure anybody in the team actually has one.
Old 06 December 2016, 11:45   #36
Hiddenevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
Hum. Everyone's saying it elsewhere but no-one says it here? Dunno why. I think that forums are meant for communication and we can't communicate effectively if we don't share our true feelings, right? Well, then... somebody's gotta say it, so guess it's gonna have to be me: As it is, the Vampires are too expensive. When a board costs more than the computer that it's supposed to enhance, then it's too expensive. I'm not dissing the boards, mind you! Not by any chance! I love them and the work that was put into them is extremely respectable and worthy. I think this is the future and that FPGA will revolutionise the Amiga world. However, their current market cost is just too hight. I know that the production costs have to be met, the producers have to pay for the expense and still have some profit and that the market drives the price and that availability is a paid commodity, etc. I know. But, for me, they're just too expensive. Inevitably, the prices will drop sometime in the future and I guess I'll wait until they do. Anyway, don't let my stance deter you. I honestly wish you good luck with business, mates! Keep on helping the Amiga stay alive.
Sadly I'm inclined to agree with you, I had my name down on Brian's mailing list well before the price went up to €250. I only found out when it came time to pay, all my emails were ignored and had to go on Amibay to find out from other users what the deal was. Not even an apology for the months I'd wasted waiting and others have waited longer.

Saddens me to see so many enthusiasts being told they aren't proper Amiga fans if they aren't prepared to front such a large sum of money. Does more harm then good to the Amiga community imho.
Old 06 December 2016, 11:53   #37
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddenevil View Post
Saddens me to see so many enthusiasts being told they aren't proper Amiga fans if they aren't prepared to front such a large sum of money. Does more harm then good to the Amiga community imho.
I've never seen that being stated. There are proper reasoning behind the price hike, like the FPGA going up in price after Intel acquired Altera and getting a board house to make the actual boards for them.

I'm tired of seeing people whine over this like it was their right to get it for 90 EUR. Why should they apologise? Did you stand in a physical queue for the last couple of months? Did you lose any money waiting? Stop acting like entitled brats, that's what hurting the community imo.
Old 06 December 2016, 12:19   #38
jjsaenz1969

In Amiga 2000, zorro ports work with Vampire 500+?
Old 06 December 2016, 12:49   #39
Hiddenevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
I've never seen that being stated. There are proper reasoning behind the price hike, like the FPGA going up in price after Intel acquired Altera and getting a board house to make the actual boards for them.

I'm tired of seeing people whine over this like it was their right to get it for 90 EUR. Why should they apologise? Did you stand in a physical queue for the last couple of months? Did you lose any money waiting? Stop acting like entitled brats, that's what hurting the community imo.
Just because you havent witnessed it does not mean it doesn't exist, so try to give people the benefit. Also if your going to offer a counter arguement try not to attack the person with derogetory remarks as it not only makes you appear crass, but also reaffirms what I was saying about the community and casts the forum in a bad light.

Allow me to address one or two of your points.

No I didnt feel entitled to pay 90 euro that was an unsastainable price. I had agreed to 150 EUR when without any notification I was asked to pay 250+shipping without any prior notification even though I had signed up to the mailing list. Which was meant to keep me informed or so I was led to believe.

Say five months ago I agreed to sell my Blizzard 1260 to my pal Dave while down the pub, we shake on a price and thats that. Then as time passes I realise that I cut myself a little short and should have asked Dave for more money. Do I get in touch with him or when the time comes just ask him for 50% more then we agreed on? One of those options is going to lead to Dave feeling miffed that his times been wasted, which how I felt when I was asked to pay for my Vampire card.

I dont feel entitled in the slightest as you've clearly read what I said, I was trying to support what I thought was a worth while project. But that doesnt mean I nor anyone else who has been waiting should have their emails ignored and not be kept appraised of price changes.
Old 06 December 2016, 13:18   #40
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddenevil View Post
I dont feel entitled in the slightest as you've clearly read what I said, I was trying to support what I thought was a worth while project. But that doesnt mean I nor anyone else who has been waiting should have their emails ignored and not be kept appraised of price changes.
Yes, it is self-entitlement when a guy is doing work for free and you think you're owed more of his family life to reply to your emails. Just so you can have a shiny new toy to play with? Get some perspective here.

Have you never seen a hobby project change price, or change features, or be delayed by months or years, or be cancelled completely? If you don't assume at least one of those things is going to happen after many years of watching Amiga projects, then you're very naive.