English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 07 May 2016, 08:55   #1
strim
NetBSD developer

WinUAE for continuous integration - running without window + how to control remotely?

Hi.

This isn't exactly a request for implementation, but rather a request for discussion .

I've been thinking of creating automated test system for some of my projects. I already have continuous integration implemented - If I commit stuff to the CVS repository, Jenkins picks it up automatically, fires a job and runs a full cross-compiling build on the server. Results of this build (lha with binaries) are shared to the world along with build logs. The server is running Linux. Now, I feel the need to write some unit tests. It would be nice if I could run them on the server as a part of continuous integration.

The basic idea is that:
- Jenkins builds the tests
- Jenkins fires up the script to start WinUAE in wine
- WinUAE boots OS4 from preinstalled image
- Already built tests are injected into running OS4 system
- The tests are executed on OS4 and results of these tests is passed to the host system

I feel completely competent in both Linux and AmigaOS to implement the necessary parts there, I just have some doubts in WinUAE area.

How to run WinUAE without display?

I know wine supports running purely command line Windows programs. Is it possible to start up WinUAE so that it runs the emulation, but does not create any kind of graphical output (window)?

How to run commands in OS4 from the host system?

I vaguely remember original UAE had a program that allowed you to execute a command (or a shell?) inside of running AmigaOS 3 system and the output of this command was redirected to the host system. Is it possible to do anything like that with current WinUAE or OS4? If not, can it be implemented?

I realise this could probably be done with network-based software, but given how SLIRP works it would be a huge pain in the ass. It would be much easier to just run commands in the emulated system from host.
Old 07 May 2016, 09:16   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

headless=true config entry does exist but I am not sure if it still working..

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=80058 is one method to inject commands (and more) to Amiga side. Or even maybe normal "newshell aux:" with serial port in TCP socket mode works.
Old 07 May 2016, 09:30   #3
strim
NetBSD developer

Thanks, will take a look at this.
Old 17 May 2016, 20:46   #4
Locutus

Maybe this is a braindead idea and if so please shoot me now.

But why not run WINE+WinUAE with Xvfb as the X server. Its essentially a Null server with no actual output.

Ofcourse you loose a bit of performance versus a true headless version of WinUAE as you are still software rendering the output but it might work :-)