English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 03 March 2010, 22:37   #1
Kakaboy
Amiga life crisis

Whats a A1200 4mb Expansion Cards worth ?

Hey Fellas ,

Just noticed one of the ebay A1200's I been looking at has jumped by AUS$200 due to and addition of a 4mb Expansion Card .

The original buy it now price was $220 .

Ebay listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Does this seem right , I dont have alot of experience in prices on these things

Karl
Old 03 March 2010, 22:44   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

That auction is a joke! It was not very good value before, and it's even worse now!

That 4MB add-on card cannot be worth much more than AUS$30, IMO.

Steer clear of anything described on eBay as "RARE"
Old 03 March 2010, 22:46   #3
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Seems too expensive to me. An A1200 shouldn't be more than about 75 Euros, and a 4MB ram expansion shouldn't be more than 75 Euros (and that's still quite steep), either. If the price went up by 200 AUS dollars, then that's a 132 Euros for the ram board, far too much. For that price you might find a 68030 accelerator.

Look for a better deal, and keep your money in your pocket until you find one That said, it's not necessarily a bad thing to pay a higher price (if it's not too much higher than 'normal'), but this is ridiculous.
Old 03 March 2010, 22:51   #4
Kakaboy
Amiga life crisis

You guys are TOP-NOTCH !

I felt it was expensive and even before like you said Prowler , Im even more turned off by it .

Amigakit is looking better every day

The new Magic bundle Amigakit is selling is that revision of A1200 as good as the rest ? as far as addons and expansions go ?
Old 03 March 2010, 22:58   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakaboy View Post
Amigakit is looking better every day

The new Magic bundle Amigakit is selling is that revision of A1200 as good as the rest ? as far as addons and expansions go ?
That's the A1200 I bought from Eyetech before AmigaKit acquired all their stock. It was an Escom AT1200 with 170MB IDE hard drive, 4-way buffered IDE interface and external IDE socket, which was how I wanted it configured at the time.

AmigaKit will configure it just as you wish. The fact that it comes bundled with the Magic Pack makes no difference.

I still have that machine and it still looks just like new!
Old 03 March 2010, 23:05   #6
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
is that revision of A1200 as good as the rest ?
I think there are only some issues with booting from game floppies. If you're not going to run gams from floppy, but use WHDLoad, then as far as I know there shouldn't be any problem (but I might be wrong ).
Old 03 March 2010, 23:18   #7
Kakaboy
Amiga life crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
I think there are only some issues with booting from game floppies. If you're not going to run gams from floppy, but use WHDLoad, then as far as I know there shouldn't be any problem (but I might be wrong ).
I think they came with a HD supported floppy and then had to upgrade later or something .
Old 03 March 2010, 23:20   #8
Kakaboy
Amiga life crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
That's the A1200 I bought from Eyetech before AmigaKit acquired all their stock. It was an Escom AT1200 with 170MB IDE hard drive, 4-way buffered IDE interface and external IDE socket, which was how I wanted it configured at the time.

AmigaKit will configure it just as you wish. The fact that it comes bundled with the Magic Pack makes no difference.

I still have that machine and it still looks just like new!
Ok nice , I like the idea of upgrading before buying , good for noobs like me
Old 03 March 2010, 23:27   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I think they came with a HD supported floppy and then had to upgrade later or something .
The Escom AT1200s are shipped with PC-compatible HD floppy drives because there aren't any suitable Amiga-compatible floppy drives left.

The motherboards are modified to accept the replacement floppy drive, but some games which hit the hardware directly or are copy protected will not run properly.

The problem can be corrected, if necessary, by using Stedy's Amiga to PC floppy drive adapter.
Old 03 March 2010, 23:52   #10
Kakaboy
Amiga life crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
The Escom AT1200s are shipped with PC-compatible HD floppy drives because there aren't any suitable Amiga-compatible floppy drives left.

The motherboards are modified to accept the replacement floppy drive, but some games which hit the hardware directly or are copy protected will not run properly.

The problem can be corrected, if necessary, by using Stedy's Amiga to PC floppy drive adapter.
You are an AMIGA GURU ! , thanks for the info .
Old 04 March 2010, 01:15   #11
NovaCoder

+1 on the AmigaKit option (esp. with the strength of our dollar at the moment).

That said, those 4mb cards can go for around $100 AU.
Old 04 March 2010, 04:31   #12
desiv

Yeah, I was watching an A1200 8M card (I'm not convinced it actually had any RAM tho, they didn't mention it, but they did mention the clock crystal, battery and FPU) and it ended up going for over $120 with shipping USD.

desiv
Old 04 March 2010, 06:10   #13
Kakaboy
Amiga life crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
+1 on the AmigaKit option (esp. with the strength of our dollar at the moment).

That said, those 4mb cards can go for around $100 AU.
Your prob right but the cost of the ebay item has gone up $200 and I just noticed he dropped it down by $40 , must of thought it was too much , or maybe someone gave him a serve for the price ?
Old 04 March 2010, 06:13   #14
Kakaboy
Amiga life crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Yeah, I was watching an A1200 8M card (I'm not convinced it actually had any RAM tho, they didn't mention it, but they did mention the clock crystal, battery and FPU) and it ended up going for over $120 with shipping USD.

desiv
I would have paid that hands down
Old 04 March 2010, 07:25   #15
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Keep a good eye out for an accelerator and RAM together, a much better idea IMHO.

Paul
Old 04 March 2010, 08:55   #16
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
Keep a good eye out for an accelerator and RAM together, a much better idea IMHO.

Paul
I second this
Old 04 March 2010, 09:09   #17
Kakaboy
Amiga life crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post

Paul
Where else can I look Paul ?

Over the last 4 weeks I only found 1 A1200
Old 21 March 2010, 00:57   #18
stefcep2

Amiga hardware is far more expensive in Australia than in the UK, due to it being available in much higher quantities in the UK. This is especially true of expansions, which were very hard to come by new in Australia at a time when they were plentiful in the UK. I actually ordered most of my stuff new from the UK- 68030 accelerator, sold and bought an Apollo 68040, and I bought a 68060 Cyberstorm, CV64 from Germany, (better exchange rate and they took off the German Sales Tax, which some UK retailers wouldn't).

An A1200 without any fast RAM is IMO next to useless. And far more floppy-only A1200's were sold here in Aus than hard drive and ram-expanded ones. So when a RAM expansion or accelerator comes up people pay a lot for them. $200 for a 4 MB card is a lot, but even with 4 MB you have a MUCH better machine, and for most people these days who just want to play games, or maybe mess about with a paint program or two, its more than adequate. Hence the price.

Kakaboy, consider bidding on UK ebay if price is your concern, otherwise be prepared for some steep local prices.
Old 21 March 2010, 01:54   #19
Kakaboy
Amiga life crisis

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcep2 View Post
Amiga hardware is far more expensive in Australia than in the UK, due to it being available in much higher quantities in the UK. This is especially true of expansions, which were very hard to come by new in Australia at a time when they were plentiful in the UK. I actually ordered most of my stuff new from the UK- 68030 accelerator, sold and bought an Apollo 68040, and I bought a 68060 Cyberstorm, CV64 from Germany, (better exchange rate and they took off the German Sales Tax, which some UK retailers wouldn't).

An A1200 without any fast RAM is IMO next to useless. And far more floppy-only A1200's were sold here in Aus than hard drive and ram-expanded ones. So when a RAM expansion or accelerator comes up people pay a lot for them. $200 for a 4 MB card is a lot, but even with 4 MB you have a MUCH better machine, and for most people these days who just want to play games, or maybe mess about with a paint program or two, its more than adequate. Hence the price.

Kakaboy, consider bidding on UK ebay if price is your concern, otherwise be prepared for some steep local prices.
Thanks mate ,

I will check out Ebay UK as they do have more on offer .