English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL data problems

Old 03 April 2009, 23:29   #21
Gordon
Settler

I have 2 PCMCIA. One is 4mb AIMTEK. The other is a no brand 2mb. And tested on my 2 600 's. But you have the evidence there, so maybe i am doing something wrong. It used to bother me alot but now i use my 1200 not anymore
Old 03 April 2009, 23:40   #22
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
With the disk-version i dont get advanced features in WinUAE A600 mode,
i have tried with 2mb chip, 8 fast, kick3.0.
I think, where must be AGA features.
Hex-viewing the main unpacked executable:
It's a memory requirement, its emphatically NOT AGA at all in any way shape or form.
Old 03 April 2009, 23:48   #23
mai

Ok, if i add 68020 CPU, then i get advanced features.
Old 03 April 2009, 23:52   #24
Gordon
Settler

Anyone got Jon Hares number? only way to know for sure.

You guys are adament its not AGA related. Im adament its not memory. Becuase i get the extras on a stock A1200 and not on a 4mb expanded 600. So i'll got for either proccesor or kickstart. I feel so wrong debating this with you guys as you know so much more than me, but i did i did try so hard looking at gettting this to work.
Old 04 April 2009, 00:05   #25
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

"disk version" is mentioned by mai... IPF or ADF?

i've never seen a good ADF of SWOS that i'd trust as far as i can throw it. Every one i have ever used seems to have different requirements for making it work properly. I trust Galahad's WHDload slave however, as it's well tested, being used by many people for many years... although obviously (like all WHDload games) it has higher requirements than the original disks.

i've also just realised that i still have the enhanced version running on PSPUAE, which has AGA code completely removed from it.

as far as your troubles go GB, i still think it's got something to do with the way the PCMCIA ram is operating.
Old 04 April 2009, 00:11   #26
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
"disk version" is mentioned by mai... IPF or ADF?
I have tried both, ADF and IPF of:
Sensible World of Soccer
not the 96/97 version, like in your screenshots.
..but as i wrote it seems to be processor dependent.

Last edited by mai; 04 April 2009 at 00:44.
Old 04 April 2009, 08:27   #27
lolafg

My A600 , rom 3.1 ,2mo chip ,4mo fast pcmcia ,classic workbench 3.1,last whdload version.
I have all working , different stadiums ,rotative adboards etc...
it's Galahad slave and playing 96'97 version.
Old 04 April 2009, 10:20   #28
BippyM
Global Moderator

Guys the game checks for AGA and loads the SWOS2 file if it finds it.. I am sure.

I remember checking htis in the old days, and by renaming SWOS2 to SWOS and SWOS to SWOS2 I was able too boot the AGA ver on ECS etc!
Old 04 April 2009, 10:30   #29
Graham Humphrey

And also I don't think you can use save files on an ECS machine on AGA (and vice versa).
Old 04 April 2009, 11:13   #30
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
And also I don't think you can use save files on an ECS machine on AGA (and vice versa).
Correct, it saves memory positions in the save files.

If however you were to load and save on a 2meg chip ram A1200 and a 2meg chip ram A600, then they would be compatible.

So long as the memory type is the same on the machine that saved the files, then it will load on a same type memory machine.
Old 04 April 2009, 11:15   #31
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
Guys the game checks for AGA and loads the SWOS2 file if it finds it.. I am sure.

I remember checking htis in the old days, and by renaming SWOS2 to SWOS and SWOS to SWOS2 I was able too boot the AGA ver on ECS etc!

Completely correct, for some bizarre reason I thought we were talking about Sensible Soccer still?!?!?!

SWOS isn't AGA in the slightest, but it does an AGA check as A1200 standard configuration (i.e. memory) is what it needs for all the extra stuff.

Same as Championship Manager 2, it says its A1200 only, but its not AGA at all, its simply the memory requirement of 2meg chip ram is what it needs.

Follow Bippys advice, and so long as you have the right memory type, the 'aga' version will load and play.
Old 04 April 2009, 12:37   #32
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
SWOS isn't AGA in the slightest, but it does an AGA check as A1200 standard configuration (i.e. memory) is what it needs for all the extra stuff.
Which begs the question, why do an AGA test if its only the extra memory that is needed? Why not just check for the extra memory? That way it would work on all expanded amiga's on not just the AGA one's. Is it easier to just check for the AGA chipset or something? Seems a bit odd to me.
Old 04 April 2009, 12:56   #33
BippyM
Global Moderator

I think Sensible were maybe advertising it with "AGA features".. Which in reality there weren't any!

I remember playing the 'AGA' version on a 1mb a600 and there was definate slow-down at points!
Old 04 April 2009, 13:06   #34
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Which begs the question, why do an AGA test if its only the extra memory that is needed? Why not just check for the extra memory? That way it would work on all expanded amiga's on not just the AGA one's. Is it easier to just check for the AGA chipset or something? Seems a bit odd to me.
At the time there were no other native 2meg chip ram machines, and it was easier for them just to cater to one memory type.

Their AGA check simply checks that there is 2meg chipram and an 020 processor, that in itself doesn't prove the machine is AGA, but at the time of release, quite likely.