English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 01 August 2018, 15:57   #2241
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Really? Then the end of Split must have been weird for you Well, now is the best time to go see it.

I watched Flight. Denzel is good as per usual as an experienced airline pilot. The movie itself... the opening is breathtaking. It is no secret or surprise that it is a harrowing plane crashlanding and damn it is filmed like you're there. Potentially Denzel's most bad-ass character to date, that character has ice in his veins and that ice shoots out the screen and gives you chills. Must-see-tv.

But the movie itself is about the aftermath and it is just such a difference of pace and tone from the spectacle opening that it is a little hard to stay intrigued. Hateful lawyers, impossibly dark situations, misery. And a tiny bit of levity delivered as per usual by John Goodman. Not a whole lot of fun to be had, but really good acting does make for some good viewing pleasure nonetheless.

The crash: 9/10
The rest: a solid 7

Last edited by gimbal; 01 August 2018 at 16:22.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 August 2018, 22:34   #2242
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Just watched the Tomb Raider reboot (in 4k of course)

Thought it was fairly standard adventure action flick. Decent enough in my opinion, far far far better than the Jolie efforts. Don't get any of the criticisms to be far and think it definitely deserves it's better than average 6.2 rating on IMDB.

Some of the set pieces though, well, the director had obviously played some Uncharted games.
Okay then, I took your advice. It was not bad. The first 30 minutes are basically white noise though, it only ever starts to look like a Tomb Raider movie when they're on the boat to the island.

And yeah... Alicia Vikander might be really fit, but she's no Lara Croft.
Old 06 August 2018, 10:52   #2243
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The Girl on the Train.

I mean, again, I'm not going to say that this movie is bad... excellent acting, well-edited, very decent soundtrack, a nice plot twist...

but the story and the characters are just miserable and frankly it is a little hard to believe that the events as portrayed in the movie would play out the way they did, making it not a really fun watching experience. I'm sure the book this is based on is fantastic, but it just does not translate to the screen very well.

6/10
Old 15 August 2018, 15:48   #2244
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Arrival.

E.T. without Spielberg. I can summarise it in one word: fascinating!

Its been a while since I could describe a movie like that. Much like Blade Runner, this movie takes you for a ride filled with slowly revealed secrets. From the moment the movie starts, it's a bit of a rollercoaster. A very slow one, but that doesn't make it any less of a thrill ride. Maybe I should put that in my own words: It's really freaking good..

I don't want to give anything away as you just have to experience the movie for yourself. The only thing I have to complain about it is that I felt a little sorry that the ultimate "resolve" of the movie is pure bullshit science fiction. It would have been a more fun experience if it would have been actually physically possible. Just in the off-chance that, one day, there are a number of alien vessels landing on this planet as well, this could almost be a documentary if not for the bullshit. I must say that what happens in this movie... I can believe this is how humanity would react. Except for which nation does what, the movie is very creative there.

Boy oh boy, even if it is impossible to achieve I am still really curious what Villeneuve is going to do with Dune.

8.5/10
Old 15 August 2018, 22:13   #2245
malko

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Arrival. [..]
An excellent movie !

In another register, did enjoy Luc Besson's "Valerian and the city of a thousand planets".

Basic scenario but nevertheless a good movie : 7/10.

If you know the comic or the animated serie, don't look at it as an adaptation. It's living on it's own .
Old 15 August 2018, 22:26   #2246
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Hey that's how you should see all books/comics turning movie if you want to have a chance of enjoying them. Valerian was alright, if not for the hateful main characters.
Old 16 August 2018, 00:42   #2247
malko

The main character is not hateful, but for sure the "role" written by Luc Besson for the main male character (Dane DeHaan) is... well... a botched job.
Anyway hope there will be a sequel
Old 16 August 2018, 09:48   #2248
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

You have your opinion, I want to kick him in the nards

The movie was pretty much a flop and expensive, this has as much a chance of getting a sequel as the Golden Compass.
Old 17 August 2018, 22:50   #2249
volvo_0ne

It would be nice to have a channel like 123movies again, I went to the cinema much more often when I could preview what was worth watching.
Old 18 August 2018, 17:39   #2250
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I have the problem quite the other way around... one of the bigger cinema franchises in the Netherlands has their own on-demand service on a pay-per-movie basis and movies are generally available there within two months for only 5 bucks on average... going to see something in the cinema is just not worth it by comparison. More effort, far more money, often more annoyance created by other people with the trade off of better hardware and a bigger screen. Ok, and a get-out-of-jail-free card for popcorn.

In any case: I saw the Purge: Election Year. The third installment in the franchise. This time around with more grit, but ultimately it is just more of the same and rather poorly executed. There are quite a few baddies in there that should have been really cool, cool mask designs too, but they end up just being duds. Cannon fodder.

Shame, I like the concept of these movies and the second installment had a really good amount of tension to it. But they just fear to let it grow into something crazy, its almost as if this is someone's baby that needs to stay classy and artsy. Well, it isn't. Let the blood splatter please.

4.5/10
AdSense AdSense