English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 September 2011, 20:37   #1
gilgamesh
Linux snob

A Inc Looses Trademarks in the US

amiga-news.de reports that five out of six trademarks expired that AINC still held in the US. What remains is the word "Amiga" in relation to computers. Most trademarks in Europe will (hopefully) expire in 2015 or 2016, as this list details.

Yeah.
Old 30 September 2011, 03:58   #2
NovaCoder

Cool and not before time, let's hope somebody else can do a better job with them.
Old 30 September 2011, 09:45   #3
amiga_user

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Cool and not before time, let's hope somebody else can do a better job with them.

Nobody must do *ANYTHING* with them !
What do you want ? Other speculations ??

Let's leave the Amiga in the past (where it belongs), and let's enjoy some *genuine* retro-computing !

Old 30 September 2011, 10:08   #4
Amigaman

I disagree. I think there is room enough for retro and modern computing.

Without dedicating much thought to it, there are several possibilities for modern systems built on Amiga ideals.

I think that to try to keep pace with the PC market would be a mistake, however there are other areas such as consoles where the technology is set in stone for several years and gives developers the oportunity to push the hardware to the limits before something new comes along.

Imagine a console with hundreds of classic games already available (through emulation or natively adaptable hardware) and the power to compete with x-box and other modern consoles.

That is just one area that could be exploited.

I am sure people will try to shoot that option down, but like I said, its only an idea.
Old 30 September 2011, 10:58   #5
JuvUK

actually i like that idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigaman View Post

Without dedicating much thought to it, there are several possibilities for modern systems built on Amiga ideals.

I think that to try to keep pace with the PC market would be a mistake, however there are other areas such as consoles where the technology is set in stone for several years and gives developers the oportunity to push the hardware to the limits before something new comes along.

Imagine a console with hundreds of classic games already available (through emulation or natively adaptable hardware) and the power to compete with x-box and other modern consoles.

I am sure people will try to shoot that option down, but like I said, its only an idea.
Old 30 September 2011, 15:58   #6
Amigaman

Ahh thank you! Usually the first person to comment on my ideas is more like this;
Old 30 September 2011, 16:20   #7
chocolate_boy

I'd like to see Hyperion and A-Eon get naming rights.
Old 30 September 2011, 20:25   #8
amiga_user

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_boy View Post
I'd like to see Hyperion and A-Eon get naming rights.
Just what I do NOT like !

Old 01 October 2011, 04:32   #9
desiv

Quote:
I think that to try to keep pace with the PC market would be a mistake
I totally agree with that statement..

Especially with phones and tablets getting the power to handle Internet (browsing, video, audio, e-mail, IM, FriendFace, etc) apps...

I find I use my main "computer" less and less all the time...
Instead of long browsing sessions, I check a few things during the day here and there. So my "computer" time has been freed up, and I generally now spend that on my Amiga and other retro boxes..

Now, I'm not opposed to a newer box that does "all your retro" stuff... Not sure if it's what I'm looking for, but I'm OK with it...
I do like "souped up" retro boxes to a point. But I don't need my retro boxes to be my main computer.

Get on the Internet? Yes...
Be CSS and HTML5 compliant? Not required. I have devices for that..
(Not that I'd turn it down, but I wouldn't pay extra for it..)

Have a faster CPU? Yes...
Run a quad core multi-Ghz system? No.. As long as it runs what it's doing happily, I don't care if it's not as fast as todays main machines..

Be distributed by someone who in some way lays claim to the Amiga name? (Isn't that everyone nowadays?).. Naw, not important; and is probably a negative nowadays...

desiv
Old 03 October 2011, 22:24   #10
Madcrow

With the Boing Ball trademark expired, I guess Amiga-related products can finally use it (legally) in their logos and stuff. Otherwise, it's kind of sad: trademarks only expire when they go unused, so if the trademarks are expiring, it must mean that nobody's bothering to make use of them anymore.
Old 04 October 2011, 00:00   #11
Christian
Zone Friend

Can't see how this would make any difference. It's just a name now after all.
Old 04 October 2011, 00:34   #12
Paul_s

The Amiga name should be put to bed. Like it should have in 1994...
That was the Golden era of computing, now we are in the Bronze age.

I'd be a bit miffed if someone dug me up and kept on applying AVON every couple of years in the hope I might make a come back.

my 2p.
Old 04 October 2011, 01:53   #13
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
I'd be a bit miffed if someone dug me up and kept on applying AVON every couple of years in the hope I might make a come back.
Old 10 October 2011, 20:28   #14
ImmortalA1000

Quote:

NO!

Amiga 1000 was a superior revolutionary home computer/OS combination 25% cost of Mac/PC AND had better games technically than any console available at the time on launch day or 4 years later. A500 33% and 2 years.

Please let Amiga RIP and no more stickers stuck on overpriced or under-powered embarrassing crap. No need to ruin the legend of Miner/Mical/Needles as has been the case sine Commodore tanked .
Old 10 October 2011, 22:28   #15
desiv

I love my Amiga. Always have and always will.. But I don't see someone stealing the name and releasing new/unrelated products as a problem.
It won't interest me. But it doesn't ruin anything for me...
That said, I know we Amiga users sometimes have rose-colored glasses sometimes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
Amiga 1000 was a superior revolutionary home computer/OS combination
Totally agree...

Quote:
..25% cost of Mac/PC
Closer to 75% actually, but less expensive...

Quote:
AND had better games technically than any console available at the time on launch day
Not many games were available on launch day. Possibly Hacker, Mindshadow, Archon, One-on-One.... Compared to Super Mario Brothers for the NES (Not my favorite game, but people like it..) among lots of others for the NES.. Again, I'm not a huge NES fan, but it has it's supporters and the Amiga didn't hit it's stride right away.. Defender of the Crown, one of the great Amiga graphics showcases hit in 1986..

Quote:
..or 4 years later.
Perhaps.. 4 years later, the Genesis was just released and that was a pretty impressive console graphically..

There was a period from 1987 to 1989 (probably a bit later as the Genesis very early releases hadn't hit their stride yet..) where the A1000 and A500 were out, but the Genesis hadn't been released yet where you could reasonably say that the Amiga was IT unquestioned.... (Mostly)...

Although, even the Atari ST, was out a bit before had some games that were better looking than what the A1000 had very early on... Remember, a lot of the early Amiga games were ports of the ST....

I love my Amiga. It was groundbreaking and incredible and nothing will ever take that away...

On a computer level, it blew away the competition for years.. (With the exception of the hiccup caused by the ST VERY early on in the Amiga's life)..
But the consoles had some great looking games..

I just wasn't a console kid, but they had some good looking games..

I wanted multi-tasking tho...

AMIGA RULEZ!! ;-) NO ONE ELSE DID THAT!!!
(In my rose colored world, OS-9 doesn't exist!!)

desiv
Old 16 October 2011, 23:30   #16
AmigaWorld

_./'._¸.¸.•¤**¤•^.,.•¤**¤•^.,.•¤**¤•.,.•¤**¤•^.***~*~ ~
*•. .•** ??????Amiga Rulez!!!?????
/.•*•.\¸..•¤**¤•.^,.•¤**¤.^.,.•¤**¤•.,.•¤**¤•^.,*** ~*~~
Old 16 November 2011, 14:04   #17
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

Thumbs up

Quote:

I like it, you described exactly what I have been thinking, to the letter.

I love the idea of having a system were I could get the modern and the retro in one package. Even the possibility to develop on it.

Unfortunately reality does set in and to take on Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo would require the budget of a small country. Directly competing with the giants would be a one way ticket to insolvency. Any company taking this on would have to target the enthusiast market, start small, build a reputation on go from there.

Get it right and it can take on a life of it's own, take Nintendo, they were floundering and then they hit the market with the Wii. Remember this was a console that didn't have the graphics capabilities of the Xbox or the PlayStation and yet it was still successful.

One of the secrets is in providing that 'something' that the competition doesn't dominate in.

"Will never happen" . Your probably right. Never say never though.
Old 16 November 2011, 15:18   #18
jimbob

I don't think the Amiga name and trademarks are worth much to the world of computing now. Maybe a few years ago it would have been a decent conclusion for the brand if someone like the minimig developers or individual could have used them. Those developers could have given the brand a graceful retirement. I guess given the history it's unlikely they could have done a fair and sensible deal for what they are really worth.

I suppose the Amiga was originally a condensation of all the computing technology that was in the air at the time, (C language, multitasking OS, GUI, multimedia), into an affordable home computer, everthing since then has been a multiplication of these capabilities by moores law and network connectivity. What application can you use now that didn't exist for the amiga? games, graphic art, music production, video editing, business apps. . . . not that much has changed.

If something like the Amiga, (or home computing revolution in general), happens again, I don't know what it might look like, I dont think portability, (ie. smartphones), quite does it. Maybe the next time something can change our experience with computing so much it will be when computing disappears from sight, stops being a device you use and becomes part of you. Whatever it is, I expect I'll probably be too old fashoned to understand or approve of this new fangled junk
Old 16 November 2011, 16:52   #19
CritAnime

Call me pessimistic but I can see a few people trying to gain acess to this in order to leverage money out of the brand name. Not mentioning any current USA based vetures who are currently trying this exact same thing. *wink*

As much as I love the Amiga I do feel that it's about time we let the old girl have the rest she deserves. Nothing in today's current computing world could match the magic that was the Amiga back in it's day. And as I have already said the only thing I can see from this is savagely flogging the brand in order to wring money out of peolple.
Old 17 November 2011, 19:05   #20
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritAnime View Post
As much as I love the Amiga I do feel that it's about time we let the old girl have the rest she deserves.
The Amiga to be honest is firmly in the enthusiast and retro scenes now. At least the hardware is. The operating system does not need to be, I have been looking for an alternative to windows for some years now. I'm interested in FreeBSD which I have a dedicated system for, but it's the AmigaOS that I find has got that magic something. Thankfully for that there is AROS, I particularly like how I get to choose the hardware platform. I like the potential that AROS has, not as a dedicated competitor to Windows, OSx, even FreeBSD or GNU/Linux but as a solid alternative.

True AROS does lack for driver support (not enough developers). Also true there could be more modern applications for it. Now if there was only a Java jre and jdk for it.