English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 September 2002, 13:17   #1
BippyM
Global Moderator

Yellowing

Is there anyway to remove some of the yellowing I have on the A500 I have just bought.. It is a really shitty looking colour, and I have scrubbed and scrubbed..

note.. I'd like to keep the letters and symbols on they keys
Old 19 September 2002, 13:21   #2
Jim

Re: Yellowing

Quote:
Originally posted by bippym
Is there anyway to remove some of the yellowing I have on the A500 I have just bought.. It is a really shitty looking colour, and I have scrubbed and scrubbed..

note.. I'd like to keep the letters and symbols on they keys
I've not tried this..... Don't hold me responsible !

Take off the case, dump it in warm water in the bath with a little bleech. Not for too long as it might melt. A lil Ajax might do the trick too. Maybe you should do a test using somethling like the bottom of the case and/or trapdoor expansion first - as these won't be noticable if you screw them up.

Pop out all the keys, and clean them keys using something non-abrasive. Maybe you have a few old keys from another keyboard - you can test a few different house-hold cleaning products on them.

Worth a shot I guess.

Old 19 September 2002, 13:28   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

Tried the Ajax, it made the machine cleaner, only a yellow cleaner. It was filthy, shit loads of hair, dust etc under the keys

It is nice and clean now, only very yellow

I'll try the bleach AFTER you try it

But I am bidding on another 3 A500's and 2 A600's atm.. Total cost of all my bids (Inc other stuff and games) is £23 one of these A500's is faulty (And free with another) so if the keys are cleaner I'll butcher that
Old 19 September 2002, 13:30   #4
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by bippym
I'll try the bleach AFTER you try it
Damn shame. I just threw out my old A1200 case today (unneeded - Tower here) when the binmen came round. I would have left it in the bath and told you how long it took to melt, so you'd have a good idea of how not to do it !

Old 19 September 2002, 13:34   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim

Damn shame. I just threw out my old A1200 case today (unneeded - Tower here) when the binmen came round. I would have left it in the bath and told you how long it took to melt, so you'd have a good idea of how not to do it !
That is a damn shame. I'll try it on the expansion or sommat.. Maybe I'll try some Acid
Old 19 September 2002, 13:37   #6
Jim

You have a Atari ST sitting around ?

Why not put that in the bath with some bleech and acid ?

You can keep all components inside, it don't matter.

If you have a webcam you can set up a time-lapse photoshoot so we can all enjoy it melting

If that fails then you can always take it outside and cover in petrol. If the petrol don't melt it then get a match and stand back Make sure you get a good long cable for your camera so we can all watch

And when you're finished get a good extention lead with a fuse and power-breaker, and connect 240v AC to the midi ports ! haha :kill

Old 19 September 2002, 13:39   #7
BippyM
Global Moderator

This wouldn't be much use, it's a well known fact the ST is made of cheap shitty plastic
Old 19 September 2002, 13:58   #8
oldpx

Rub the keys with lemon juice. It probably did work with an a500 of mine. I say probably for it may just be a psychological effect.

Hair and dust are no problem but if I ever encounter insects, parts of insects or insect eggs in a machine I buy, this will be the end of retrocomputing for me!!!

Old 19 September 2002, 14:01   #9
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
Hair and dust are no problem but if I ever encounter insects, parts of insects or insect eggs in a machine I buy, this will be the end of retrocomputing for me!!!
I would be more concerned about the hair. Make sure you wash you hands well after plucking out short 'n' curlies !

Old 19 September 2002, 15:46   #10
Amiga1992

I will sound like a t-thirt tag here but...

DO NOT BLEACH!

Seriously, besides of probably fucking up teh case, UV YELLOWING DOESN'T GO AWAY WITH ANYTHING

This is a real sad fact, but it's true. You can't make it go away. It's the fucking nightmare of us computer collectors

The only way against UV yellowing is prevention. In the case of buying a yellowed machine there's nothing you can do, but if you ge ta really nice machine, PROTECT IT FROM SUN~! Put a blanket over irt or something. Semi-transparent dust covers will do fuck all regarding your machine's protection.
Old 19 September 2002, 15:57   #11
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
I will sound like a t-thirt tag here but...
The only way against UV yellowing is prevention. In the case of buying a yellowed machine there's nothing you can do, but if you ge ta really nice machine, PROTECT IT FROM SUN~!
Does this mean I should rub Ambre Solaire Sun Factor No 20 all over the curves of my Miggy ? She'll enjoy that, and no doubt I will too

Old 19 September 2002, 16:11   #12
Amiga1992

heh, I never tried it, but perhaps it works!
Old 19 September 2002, 21:39   #13
th4t1guy

I've found that you can get rid of most of it with a household cleaner called "Oops!". The only problem is it does eat away at the plastic. I've used it to remove black marker from my old Mac classic, and afterwards I have this big white spot from where I rubbed the cloth over it (also smoothed out the texture of the case).

I don't think you'd want to soak it in that stuff, as it'd probably just melt the whole case. You'd probably have to rub the whole thing like there was a genie in it.
Old 19 September 2002, 22:14   #14
Amiga1992

But the texture will be gone! I dont know what's worse, a yellow Amiga or a texture-less one.

Guy, you freaky.. marker should go way with alcohol! My Classic II had a nasty marker stain and a greaase=cleaner wiped it off.
Old 19 September 2002, 22:16   #15
Jim

Here's an idea.

Spray the case !

Metallic Silver, or Lumenous Green. Or even multicolour.

Would look pretty cool & original.

Old 19 September 2002, 22:21   #16
oldpx

Why don't you embalm your amigas like mummies to protect them from sunlight and decay?

Old 19 September 2002, 22:23   #17
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
Why don't you embalm your amigas like mummies to protect them from sunlight and decay?
hahaha

Let's face it. A500's are two-a-penny. Yellow case. Get another. If you spend 3 hours trying to clean it that's 3 hours overtime @ work wasted that would have easily got you a few A500's.

Surely it's better to have a dirty old well used A500 than one that sits in a corner wrapped in selophane all day ?

Computers are there to be used - not to be stored away.

Old 19 September 2002, 22:28   #18
oldpx

Yes, we ourselves are getting old, getting "yellow" in time!

Old 19 September 2002, 22:51   #19
th4t1guy

Quote:
Guy, you freaky.. marker should go way with alcohol! My Classic II had a nasty marker stain and a greaase=cleaner wiped it off.

This was some industrial acid cancer marker with symbiotic properties....or something along those lines.

Believe me, I tried alcohol (as well as Lysol and some other crap).
Old 19 September 2002, 23:37   #20
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
You have a Atari ST sitting around ?

Why not put that in the bath with some bleech and acid ?

You can keep all components inside, it don't matter.

If you have a webcam you can set up a time-lapse photoshoot so we can all enjoy it melting

If that fails then you can always take it outside and cover in petrol. If the petrol don't melt it then get a match and stand back Make sure you get a good long cable for your camera so we can all watch

And when you're finished get a good extention lead with a fuse and power-breaker, and connect 240v AC to the midi ports ! haha :kill
This reminds me of a movie file i got from somewhere on the Internet, they take out the screen from an apple Macintosh and stuff it full of empty cans of spray paint, went to a distance, and shot it up with a barrage of bullets till it caught fire and melted the mac.