English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 February 2018, 15:18   #1
pincoo

Blizzard SCSI KIT IV ram issue

Hi all, I have an Amiga 1200 with Blizzard 1260 and SCSI kit IV.
On the blizzard is mounted 16Mb and on the SCSI 64Mb.

All was ok, but recently my workbench doesn't read the 64Mb on the SCSI kit anymore, it reads only the 16mb on the B1260.

On the other side the SCSI CD-ROM works well, SCSI kit tools see it correctly and full working, the issue is that the RAM is not seen by the system.

Even stranger is that sometimes, when I power on my Amiga, it READS the 80Mb of FAST (16Mb on B1260 + 64Mb on SCSI Kit) and I cannot replicate the preconditions that lead to this result. I know only that after I use Amiga for a period, the system begins to read all 80Mb magically. Sometimes the Amiga begins to work correctly after a night, or after some hours.

I don't know how can I debug this.

Is there any scsi test software to check the installed ram, to test the SCSI card in all its parts?

Thank you very much for any help,

pincoo
Old 18 February 2018, 02:21   #2
Daedalus

First thing to look at: Clean all the contacts in the memory sockets, and between the Blizzard and the SCSI kit.

Next, try the SIMMs the other way around if they fit - 16MB in SCSI kit, 64MB on Blizzard.

You can use Keir Fraser's excellent Systest to test all the memory on the boards. It's a self-booting floppy (ADF image), or a small program you can run from Workbench.
Old 23 February 2018, 12:43   #3
pincoo

I cleaned all contacts on my two boards, but the problem remains.
I used systest to test the memory but it hangs when I either begin memory scan with only 16Mb seen by system or 80Mb.
I can't swap my two dimm as the SCSI dimm is to big to fit in the Blizzard socket because of the presence of the air cooler on the 68060. I can try to put the Blizzard's 16Mb dimm into the SCSI socket... I didn't try yet. I'll do next.

I noticed that if I remove the SCSI connection to CDROM usually (not "always") the system begins to read 80Mb... and if reconnect usually the system continues to read the memory correctly, sometimes not...

I really don't know how proceed... Let's mount the 16Mb dimm onto the SCSI board.

I'll post my experience, thank you for all Daedalus,

Pincoo
Old 30 July 2018, 14:15   #4
galvanica

Hi!
Have you already checked your termination?
Attach the CDROM and put the terminator on it, then retry and let me know
I've the same issue, no memory seen on the scsi kit but the blizzard 1260.

Best,
Stefano