English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 May 2016, 18:40   #21
amiman99

Like @emufan and others said, get 2 PCI connectors, cut them up and join then at the "key".
It should cost few $ per each PCI connector plus some labor.
Old 14 May 2016, 19:19   #22
dirkies
Zone Friend

indeed, checking on the web, these sockets average around $2 each, so $4+labor per socket
Interesting idea, but you'll need to setup a circular blade saw with right offsets to cut off hundreds of these sockets to perfection!

And seems this has been already done before, for a NES hack, see:
http://diytronics.blogspot.be/2013_07_01_archive.html

So I think I would favor this, better have a $4 plug than a $20-30 one doing the exact same thing.
Old 14 May 2016, 19:57   #23
majsta
www.majsta.com

This is not an option because two reasons, first it does not look professional and 2nd think about how much time it takes to do this for probably 1000 cards.
Old 14 May 2016, 20:17   #24
amiman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by majsta View Post
This is not an option because two reasons, first it does not look professional and 2nd think about how much time it takes to do this for probably 1000 cards.
Can you outsource making these to some one else, another Amigan? Can you LASER cut plastic???
Old 14 May 2016, 20:31   #25
dirkies
Zone Friend

All depends of course about the price difference. II'm sure a lot would not mind saving 20€ or so if it was a twin plug instead of a single one.
I still wonder if Jens would consider it. He'll still make more money supplying them (a few euros pure net profit per socket sold) than what he would make with dwindling ACA12XX sales. Because this magnificent piece of hardware for sure shakes up the whole Amiga accelerator retro market !
Old 14 May 2016, 21:04   #26
Daedalus

Well, if you do it right it won't look unprofessional. I genuinely didn't notice the Mediator was like that until I desoldered it. It's very cleanly cut with what looks to be a fine saw of some sort since there's a fine-grained machining pattern along the cut edges.
Old 14 May 2016, 21:05   #27
majsta
www.majsta.com

Some amiga shops who have connectors rejected me, just like they are afraid to accept that this will change lot of things and it will. Some others wanted to talk and we will see what will happen regarding that. As I see it Vampire 1200 will be so great that if we say to the ppl that they will need to manually solder all of the wires from trapdoor connector I just know that ppl will be happy to do it. Having connector or not won't stop complete concept. I just want to make it look good and professional.
Old 14 May 2016, 21:34   #28
amigasith

Quote:
I just want to make it look good and professional.
There is a saying here in Germany - "do it right or don't do it at all". +1 from me, majsta
Old 14 May 2016, 21:56   #29
amiman99

You don't need to solder any wires, the connectors are right angles and thru-hole. Solder the connector directly to the PCB, should be pretty solid.
Old 14 May 2016, 22:19   #30
majsta
www.majsta.com

@amiman99 hah man tell me where to find connectors and I ll solder them within a minute.
Old 15 May 2016, 00:10   #31
Mr.Flibble

I'd be happy to chip in some funds in order to help secure some connectors for you Majsta, as I'm sure a bunch of others would be?

Edit: I've lobbed a quote into one of the sites, just to see what happens..

Last edited by Mr.Flibble; 15 May 2016 at 00:27.
Old 15 May 2016, 01:02   #32
amiman99

Quote:
@amiman99 hah man tell me where to find connectors and I ll solder them within a minute.
In the post #10 @Daedalus found left and Right angle PCI connectors you could potentially cut and use, if other options are not available.
Old 15 May 2016, 05:29   #33
kipper2k

I have done a little testing tonight and my diamond tipped Tile cutter does an awesome job of trimming connectors so i will be buying some connectors which are plentiful and see how it goes. It makes a very smooth cut and with a jig set up to make it square and the correct length i am pretty sure i have a workable solution once i run out of the real connectors.

Buying the proper tooled connectors from Sullins is still an option, but the last one due to the high price.
Old 15 May 2016, 11:48   #34
Mr.Flibble

How much did Sullins want per unit? Was there a price break at different quantities?
Old 15 May 2016, 12:48   #35
voyager
The show must go on.

Send a message via MSN to voyager
If you cut the connectors maybe you can use a stl printer and make a surrounding for it so it keeps the connector together and look nice.
Old 15 May 2016, 13:24   #36
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Flibble View Post
How much did Sullins want per unit? Was there a price break at different quantities?
With tooling fees, customs, shipping and all the other little addons, the connector would probably hit $27 - $30 USD each and that is for a minimum order of approx 250, this cost would obviously be passed on to the user but if we can find an alternate solution then we will go with that. I am confident we will find a much better option, i will find out Wed/Thur
Old 15 May 2016, 13:44   #37
Locutus

I realize that its a lot of money upfront. But in those quantities and the intended product price and production size that is not actually that unreasonable.

It sucks ofcourse.
Old 15 May 2016, 13:49   #38
Mr.Flibble

Best of luck Kipper, but I wouldn't mind paying a premium for one if it makes the difference between having the board with the best solution, or not...
Old 15 May 2016, 13:59   #39
dirkies
Zone Friend

it makes the connector one of the most expensive parts of the accelerator, hopefully there will be a better solution. Let's wait for next week. If not we can always do a crowdfunding for such connectors! (jk)
Old 16 May 2016, 10:50   #40
rodpulsar

Just for information :

I myself made one DIY connector last year, using two PCI riser cables bought on the web. I carefully cut them with a dremel, and joined them around the A1200 connector space.

Pics here (it's in french but nm) :
http://www.amigaimpact.org/forums/to...ion-cpu-a1200/

It worked. The idea was to be able to fold my card inside the Amiga, in a specific desktop case.

BUT it couldn't last too long. It couldn't bear any movement of my miggy, each time I opened it, or moved it or put my hands inside my miggy, I was scared of moving the whole thing, and sometimes it moved. Then I had a black screen at boot, no boot at all, or sometimes strange behavior.

Instead of finding a way to consolidate the system, I thought a long time about it and gave up : too much risk.

As Majsta says, I really think that this type of connector needs to be something professional. If you SELL something to an end user, you must sell the confidence in the product too.

Just my 2cp