English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 January 2024, 07:40   #381
DanyPPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentGR View Post
[ Show youtube player ]
If I don't see and play the demo engine on a real A1200 desktop 2MB for this is only a fake !
Old 31 January 2024, 08:21   #382
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyPPC View Post
If I don't see and play the demo engine on a real A1200 desktop 2MB for this is only a fake !

I don't think it's fake. It's just that it probably cannot run as smoothly unless on WinUAE. Like my current Donkey Kong 32 color version which runs perfectly on WinUAE but is unplayable on cycle exact even A1200/fast. Both useless unless you optimize/compromise.

More on-topic, I'd like to know where the assets of Final Fight Enhanced originate from?

- the in-game music: original? remade?

- the graphics: are they downscaled from the arcade sprites or enhanced from the amiga sprites?
Old 31 January 2024, 09:31   #383
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post

More on-topic, I'd like to know where the assets of Final Fight Enhanced originate from?

- the in-game music: original? remade?

- the graphics: are they downscaled from the arcade sprites or enhanced from the amiga sprites?

I did the music myself from scratch using the Wasp Amiga tutorials. I'm a musician so it made sense. I don't think any music was even made for the original?

The sprites are all from the arcade (sprite database) and not downscaled. They were then remapped to the Amiga palette with a few touch ups by hand. Maki was almost a complete re-draw of every frame as her SNES sprite was too small compared to the arcade proportions, plus her new moves (unique to the Amiga) needed extra frames. Abigail was also redesigned because he was just a dull Andore palette swap, and well...I like Streets of Rage 2.

Backgrounds were from the 1991 game and taken from Codetapper's website (I also used his Sprite Trick program to make the tile sheets). This was purely because they were "Amiga ready", and easier to implement when I was first learning to code. They too underwent some tweaking and editing of the tiles. Probably most noticeable on Level 1 and the Elevator. Foreground objects are separate bitmaps Blitted later in the loop, and smashed doors/cars etc. are all just tile map address pokes.

Sound effects were from the arcade and extracted using MAMEm1, then converted with Goldwave on Windows to a RAW format.

The rest was just me figuring out what to do through a whole lot of trial and error (a WHOLE lot!!!).

I think that's everything. I'll probably do that "making of" video later in the year and go into more detail.
Old 31 January 2024, 09:50   #384
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
I don't think it's fake. It's just that it probably cannot run as smoothly unless on WinUAE.
According to Pixel Shade (we worked together in the Dread team and talked about this project in detail) this is as real as it gets and also runs perfectly on a stock a1200. However it is just a visual tech demo, i.e. no logic, no ai e.t.c. Still, I doubt having logic in would have any significant impact to performance, so this one seems quite plausible to me. Dennis gives more details about the project in this follow-up video btw (go to ~19:30) :
[ Show youtube player ]

Anyhow back to on-topic, let me also congratulate @Brick Nash for this amazing achievement!

I think if I ever had a wish about this project it would be replacing the gfx and palettes. Imho there is massive potential to make this look much better that it does now. An experienced pixel artist from the scene could really do it justice (and could also help to optimize the gfx even better if there is room for that), so if you plan to ever get back to it again at a later point, do give a shoutout to the community for help

Last edited by Tsak; 31 January 2024 at 11:28.
Old 31 January 2024, 10:10   #385
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post

I think if I ever had a wish about this project it would be replacing the gfx and palettes. Imho there is massive potential to make this look much better that it does now. An experienced pixel artist from the scene could really do it justice (and could also help to optimize the gfx even better if there is room for that), so if you plan to ever get back to it again at a later point, do give a shoutout to the community for help

Yes !
That would be great because the original Amiga assets doesn't do justice to this version.
Maybe someone could pimp up the codetapper rips used in this version ?
Old 31 January 2024, 11:04   #386
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I personally was not impressed with this project. Why make a remake with exactly the same graphics? However! Having played this remake I have to say fantastic work
Old 31 January 2024, 13:58   #387
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Nash View Post
I did the music myself from scratch using the Wasp Amiga tutorials. I'm a musician so it made sense. I don't think any music was even made for the original?

The sprites are all from the arcade (sprite database) and not downscaled. They were then remapped to the Amiga palette with a few touch ups by hand. Maki was almost a complete re-draw of every frame as her SNES sprite was too small compared to the arcade proportions, plus her new moves (unique to the Amiga) needed extra frames. Abigail was also redesigned because he was just a dull Andore palette swap, and well...I like Streets of Rage 2.

Backgrounds were from the 1991 game and taken from Codetapper's website (I also used his Sprite Trick program to make the tile sheets). This was purely because they were "Amiga ready", and easier to implement when I was first learning to code. They too underwent some tweaking and editing of the tiles. Probably most noticeable on Level 1 and the Elevator. Foreground objects are separate bitmaps Blitted later in the loop, and smashed doors/cars etc. are all just tile map address pokes.

Sound effects were from the arcade and extracted using MAMEm1, then converted with Goldwave on Windows to a RAW format.

The rest was just me figuring out what to do through a whole lot of trial and error (a WHOLE lot!!!).

I think that's everything. I'll probably do that "making of" video later in the year and go into more detail.
Then maybe You can try now to convert Final Fight 2 from SNES to Amiga? You have knowledge about graphics conversion from SNES and good FF engine.
Old 31 January 2024, 14:55   #388
Dougal

The problem with most Amiga conversions back in the day was:

A: The use of only ONE fire button.
B: The lack of music AND sound effects at the same time.
C: Lack of full screen.
D: Bad frame rate.
E: Missing details in both sound and graphics.

Final Fight as released in 1991 by Creative Materials is no exception. Prototron has fixed all the above issues.

So I disagree with the argument that FF Enhanced is not a proper remake because of the graphics because all the above issues are resolved making this a really awesome, good looking, good sounding fun to play beat-em'up and how it should have always been. As a bonus Maki was added

To be fair to Creative Materials, the graphics on the original Amiga 1991 Final Fight were done quite nicely and I always thought it looked good in stills and magazine screen shots.

On the same principal of addressing the above issues affecting most Amiga conversions of back in the day I would love to see more similar enhanced versions of Amiga conversions.
Old 31 January 2024, 15:07   #389
Torti-the-Smurf

There is already a awesome version on Street Fighter on the Amiga; People seem to forget,

Its called: Super Street Fighter II by Freestyle.

Sure, it "looks" .. well unique; but they made the right decisions where it counts and the playability is superbe.
I can see Hyper Fightig 2 Arcade behaviour in it.

They did care, made all graphics pretty much new/from scratch and it even has some unique feature
that only Street Fighter3 the second impact has. "Widescreen".

Fighters can be further appart from each other like in any other 4:3 Street fighter.

Only this version and Street Fighter3 2nd strike has that. So there you go.
Viddi & Boo Boo did a Color Mod on it, so it looks a bit nicer.

Called Super Street Fighter II DX

That is a very unique and great playing Street Fighter on the Amiga,
the other thing posted above is a tech demo ... (a superbe one)

If you want to try Super Street Fighter II DX then use this latest Slave plz.
http://mantis.whdload.de/file_downlo...=1727&type=bug

Greez. Torti

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 31 January 2024 at 20:36. Reason: sorry ; for my text walls
Old 31 January 2024, 15:11   #390
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Like my current Donkey Kong 32 color version which runs perfectly on WinUAE but is unplayable on cycle exact even A1200/fast.
Really? For Donkey Kong? What's so heavy about that game?
Old 31 January 2024, 15:40   #391
jotd
This cat is no more

a lot of blits. Each object is a sprite redrawn every time. There are more than 16 colors.

For the first level:

If you code that brutally (my first approach) you end up with 10 barrels + 5 flames + 6 kong sprites + 2 princess sprites + 2 hammer sprites + mario sprite + 4 barrels beside Kong + oil barrel + flame = 30+ 16x16 objects with 5 cookie-cut bitplanes

Also there is the "delete object" blits too. So 60+ blits * 5 bitplanes = 300 blits per frame.

Unless my blitter routines are underoptimized, that's a lot for the machine to handle.
Old 31 January 2024, 16:35   #392
VincentGR

Sometimes C64 can handle games better than the Amiga.
Ok, fewer pixels and sprite multiplexing, fixed sizes but again seems unnatural to me.
Old 31 January 2024, 16:50   #393
sokolovic

I love how this board is fully dedicated to meticulously destroy the Amiga reputation.
Old 31 January 2024, 17:39   #394
Cris1997XX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
I love how this board is fully dedicated to meticulously destroy the Amiga reputation.
Well, sometimes it really comes off as underpowered...the Amiga 1000 should've had similar hardware to arcade machines, who cares about the price?
Old 31 January 2024, 17:44   #395
Cris1997XX

Deleted
Old 31 January 2024, 17:46   #396
trixster
Guru Meditating

Anyone else have an issue with the 2nd button not working?

I'm using a rev2b A1200 with a Competition Pro CD32 pad. All six buttons work ok with other WHDload games (tested with Super SF2 Turbo), but not with Final Fight Enhanced.

Could it be this issue: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php...library&page=2
Old 31 January 2024, 17:52   #397
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Anyone else have an issue with the 2nd button not working?

I'm using a rev2b A1200 with a Competition Pro CD32 pad. All six buttons work ok with other WHDload games (tested with Super SF2 Turbo), but not with Final Fight Enhanced.

Could it be this issue: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php...library&page=2
I had too with the first version but it works now with the last whd version
Old 31 January 2024, 17:54   #398
trixster
Guru Meditating

I'm using Torti-the-smurfs latest WHLOAD lha, so it should be the same as the updated version from Brick Nash. 2nd button didn't work for me with the original release either.
Old 31 January 2024, 18:48   #399
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Same problem with the newest version - Just updated it and tried both floppy and WHDLoad version and 2nd button for jump doesn't work anymore here. I reverted back to the first version and it is working perfectly.
Old 31 January 2024, 19:29   #400
Torti-the-Smurf

Tried the new version. Works just like before. Never had problems with the second button.
(but i only have a 2 button joypad (sega mega drive 3 button with A=up mod).
So, maybe there is some CD32 Joypad issue with the lastest Final exe?)

Also, simply exchanging the Final exe is enough; nothing else was changed.

For everyone that thinks the Amiga was "underpowered"
;a system that came out in 1985; must be crazy

Games like Lionheart, Kid Chaos, Turrican 2, Disposable Hero, Lotus 2, Stardust, Elfmania, T-Racer, ect ect..
On a System from 1985, where Arcade games like Gauntlet 2 looked like this ...

[ Show youtube player ]
(sure, the SEGA Superscaler games existed, but those where not the "norm")

The Amiga had such a character and very nice features in those chips...

I am just a stupid Smurf, but it is still mindblowing to me, how the Amiga can display dozends of screens (workbench)
at the same time, each with a different resolution...

The sound alone... just Incredible

That in 1985 ! ; when a few month before people would go nuts over a silent Black and white scrolling text
on the super expensive Macintosh ...

Here is such an "Amiga" demo that shows alot of its cool features...
one of my all time favorites i guess... in terms of "Classic amiga mega demos".

Maybe JOTD can borrow a few of those BOBS in this Demo, there are quit a few of them *

Skip to 32:40 for the "unlimited" BOBS. (50/60hz miss match - its normally buttery smooth)

[ Show youtube player ]

This is also neat.. running on a standard A500 at full speed.
[ Show youtube player ]

Amiga4Ever

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 31 January 2024 at 21:28. Reason: * kidding + sorry for that HUGE textwall .. again :) Who would read all of this ? XD