English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 April 2019, 23:40   #1
spudisgood

A1200 Startup Issues

Hello fellow Amigans.

I am after some advice or informed opinions on what could be wrong with my A1200.

It is my pride and joy and was working absolutely fine until this evening, now it is refusing to boot, not even to the early startup screen.

I opened her up and touching the chips noticed that ALICE was feeling very warm compared to the others. The CSG 391077-01 also felt rather warm..

After doing some research I have read that the ALICE chip can be an issue on this particular motherboard revision and I may require a heat sink?

However before I jump to any conclusions and start spending money I thought I would see what some of you guys think.

The Amiga was re-capped in 2016 and the caps all look fine (I am aware that caps can be bad whilst looking fine - but I honestly don't think this is the problem here).

The Amiga BOOTS UP FINE if I disconnect the CF reader and the accelerator.
The Amiga will NOT boot if I try with either of these components plugged in.

The power supply ? Well I am unsure. As I say the Amiga worked fine until today with all my add-ons plugged in. It boots fine if I disconnect them.
I have also tried booting my Amiga 500 Plus using the same PSU and it works fine albeit some floppy issues, but that could just be bad floppies...

My set up is as follows:
A1200 REV ID4, ACA 1221 accelerator clocked at 18Mhz with 64Mb RAM,

4Gb CF card running ClassicWB 3.1.

Where do I go from here guys?
Shall I try and get a heatsink for my ALICE or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Do I invest in a new PSU or could I be in the same position after spending the money?

Any informed opinions, suggestions welcome, as I am at a loss as to how to proceed!

Edit : I might add that the Amiga was running for quite a few hours yesterday, but working fine...

Thank you,
Spud.
Old 22 April 2019, 23:53   #2
DofD

How old is the PSU?

Do you have a PSU for your 500+ that you can try with your 1200?
Old 23 April 2019, 01:22   #3
spudisgood

Hi DofD, I may haver another PSU kicking around somewhere, albeit in several pieces. I will try and get one back together to test.

I just use the one PSU at the moment for both machines.
I know it is one of the weaker PSUs, the slimmer black version from Commodore that was shipped with the Escom A1200s. Can't see any date on it but I will guess it is around 1994.
Old 23 April 2019, 01:24   #4
spudisgood

Well well... I have just tried it again and now the H.Disk light is constantly on with nothing happening. Very odd!
Old 23 April 2019, 22:28   #5
DofD

Try checking the voltages coming out of the PSU to see if they are borderline low.
Old 24 April 2019, 15:04   #6
Daedalus

To be able to tell if the PSU is struggling, you really need to check it while the machine is turned on and displaying the fault. A good place is the floppy power connector. The middle two pins are ground and the left-hand pin is 5V (the critical rail for the machine). Checking the PSU's plug without the machine attached can give you misleading results.
Old 01 May 2019, 00:18   #7
spudisgood

Ok guys. Update!

Good news - The new Electroware PSU has arrived from Poland and works as it should.

Bad news - The Amiga still refuses to boot. So, I opened it up again and after process of elimination and whatnot, I fired it up again and I got a flashing green screen which a search suggests Chip RAM issues. Damn! I was worried for a while my Amiga was dying. But then, after double-checking (for the umpteenth time) the Kickstart chips, I tried booting again without the accelerator but with the IDE flash drive connected and the system boots!

I tried it a few more times just to be sure, and yep, the machine boots to my CF Workbench installation no problem.

Tried removing the RTC module from the accelerator and trying with it again, no boot.

So definitely a faulty accelerator card - which is a shame. I bought it new from Amigakit just 3 and a half years ago.

I don't suppose anyone knows if there is a way to repair this card, or do I need to save up for a new accelerator?

Workbench with 2meg Chip and nothing else is certainly no fun