English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 December 2007, 16:08   #1
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

Amiga networking using crossover network cable

Hello friends, i have finally a pcmcia network card on my a1200 and have connected it to my pc using a crossover cable(without router or hub). the cable is ok, but i'm unable to ping the machines each other.
I have assigned different ips for each machine in the same subnet and with the same netmask, but no luck.
Could be that one of them has to act as a gateway?. If so, how to do that on the amiga or the pc?. The reason i want to do it is for having a siamese rtg ethernet link using the card on the pc. Internet is not a problemn because i get it from wifi with another card on the pc.
Anyone got a clue or has done that before?
Thanks in advance!!!
Old 22 December 2007, 17:51   #2
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

Bump!
Anyone?
Old 22 December 2007, 17:56   #3
jmmijo

As far as I know, the default gateway is used for outbound or WAN connections and if you are using one of the non-routable Class A, B or C blocks to assign each machine, then you should be able to see/ping each of course.

I would verify the cable first by setting up a hub/switch with patch cables and see if this works or not.

Also, are you getting link lights at both ends ?!?
Old 22 December 2007, 18:52   #4
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Networking is a (*^%(!! pain in the *&%$!
Especially if you are trying to get two different platforms to talk.
Also so many people get lucky & have no issues that getting useful answers can be frustrating.

I may have answered some of your questions on your SiameseRTG thread.

Another thread with useful info: Here
Got me sorted out - maybe you too.

More questions? I'll see what answers I can come up with.

I suspect thomas knows most about such issues - he's not as active as he one was...

BTW:
I tend to use the names AmiTCP & Genesis interchangeably being much the same stack - causes some confusion.
I tend not to refer to Miami because I find it slow & unstable - many would disagree with me on that one.

Oh, em, you did remember that pesky A1200 PCMCIA reset bug..? There are both hardware & software fixes. Type PCMCIA into Aminet's search & you'll soon find some info on software. Type PCMCIA into Amigakit's search will turn up a hardware fix.

Last edited by Charlie; 22 December 2007 at 19:01.
Old 22 December 2007, 19:08   #5
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

I get lights at both ends, and yes the cable is correct.
I simply don't understand why it cant see each other if the network mask is the same?
Old 22 December 2007, 19:13   #6
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

P.D. I have also the cardreset and cardpatch lines in my startup sequence.
Old 22 December 2007, 19:28   #7
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

The annoying pain in the rectum about this is your setup is probably 99.99% fine. That 0.01% can be a bugger to track down:- a slip of the finger when typing settings, Genesis' habit of blocking packets by default is the the one that caught me out but that shouldn't stop you pinging...

...The pinging regimen I mentioned on your other thread may give you an idea where the problem lays.

In the past I've had to resort to going through the whole process from scratch: Installing adapters + cable + networking stack(s) -> setup of stacks...
...a proper pain, but as a last resort often either just works or highlights the cause of the problem.
Old 28 December 2007, 11:58   #8
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

Could a bad psu give me that strange behaviour?. I'm using at the moment my a500 power brick for the mobo and an at psu for hds and cd. but the a500 brick does a brrrrr sound wuen turned on.
Perhaps it is giving me low voltage?.
I will check it out with a multimeter when i get home.
Old 28 December 2007, 15:45   #9
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

It's 'funny' - many moons ago the PSU was always the last thing I blamed for any difficulties I had - it either works or it doesn't, right..?

Now if I get any inexplicable weirdness the PSU involved is always the #1 suspect.
(Ok, I'm the #1, it's the #2)

Worth a look in other words...
...it is very odd that you can't get any pinging between 'putes but they happily ping themselves - does smack of hardware rather than software weirdness.
Old 06 March 2008, 16:30   #10
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

remove the wifi card from the PC, and retest. it might be that the PC is sending all pings/ping responses via its default route on the wifi card. But without knowing your network setup, I cant comment much more.

Are you running a firewall on the PC?