English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 February 2015, 10:01   #21
Paul_s

In the day I completed Premiere and Superfrog but I don't have the patience for them these days. Managed to complete Cannon Fodder 2 a year or so ago.

Don't play that many games now with work and other day to day stuff.
Old 25 February 2015, 12:29   #22
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
I've just been replaying Sensible World of Soccer after it arrived in the post recently. I cannot score a single goal and I don't think I can muster the 'twichiness' necessary to do so again. Amazing the reflexes I must have had as a teenager!

How about you lot?
Are you playing solo or with a friend? You skills will definitely improve faster playing with another human, pride is a good motivator
Old 25 February 2015, 15:21   #23
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Are you playing solo or with a friend? You skills will definitely improve faster playing with another human, pride is a good motivator
I'm playing solo - my old amiga friends don't live nearby anymore. Although they're keen on UAE since I mentioned it to them so maybe I should send out an invite

And now that you mention it, some games I've actually improved on! I play a better Batman the Movie than ever and nearly cleared Jurassic Park (which was tedious) when I could hardly pass the second or third level before.
Old 25 February 2015, 22:23   #24
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I suck in all the games in comparison with the past.
Old 26 February 2015, 01:44   #25
lesta_smsc

Chaos Engine. Knew the map and game inside out. Also learnt an algorithm to create my own cheat! Not bad when aged under 10 years old!
Old 26 February 2015, 21:09   #26
Havie

Could the mods rename the thread as 'Gaming for Geriatrics'. Now I'm off for a nice cup of tea and a digestive. Lovely.
Old 27 February 2015, 14:42   #27
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Nah! That's age related memory loss that is.
I think you've got that the other way around; I would be inventing things which are not actually there rather than forgetting about them

I don't remember what I said in the other thread which does not exist, but it must have been something to the effect of "anything requiring sharp reflexes". Those really have dulled quite a bit over the years, I react only half as fast as I used to.

So I don't even try games like Rick Dangerous or Gremlins 2 anymore, they're just my worst nightmare. They already were back in the day, but back then I also had the patience to just retry a hundred times.
Old 27 February 2015, 14:43   #28
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

I can't think of any titles in particular (probably all of 'em), but I definitely was WAY more persistant at Amiga games 20 years ago. Now I get frustrated too easily and just ragequit.

Also, I find myself often wondering sometimes how I could manage to do some super-difficult thing when I was 7 and not now!
Old 27 February 2015, 15:07   #29
TenLeftFingers

Thank God for point and click adventures, eh?

For games like that that just required unhealthy amounts of twitchiness, I've might just watch the longplays or something. Funnily enough, I was just interested in games I had when I was a kid and anything else just seemed a bit rubbish. Talk about rose tinted goggles! But I tried Soccer Kid recently and I'm really enjoying it.
Old 27 February 2015, 15:39   #30
LieutLaww

Having spent so long using a Console controller, going back to a Quickshot Pro feels so alien to me playing Uridium II etc seems 100x more difficult as i get resued to the joystick lol
Old 27 February 2015, 17:38   #31
TenLeftFingers

I think I remember using a Sega Megadrive controller on my A600 to play Flashback, which was pretty cool. It's possible I was using a PC at that stage but it might be worth checking out.
Old 27 February 2015, 23:42   #32
ransom1122

I cant use any other joystick beside my star cursor. Its the same one I've used all the time. If I use any other joystick it doesn't feel like your using an amiga.
Old 21 April 2015, 23:49   #33
DisposableHero

Premier Manager 2. Tried it recently and couldn't win a match even with Halifax.
Old 23 April 2015, 05:41   #34
lesta_smsc

Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart's Super Off Road - played it again the other day and could not get the car under control! Used to be very good at this and enjoyed 3 player games back in the day!
Old 23 April 2015, 07:18   #35
TenLeftFingers

After reading these I'm starting to think there is a market for a decellerator
Old 23 April 2015, 07:49   #36
jPV

Somehow I actually find the old games easier now than when I was teenager. I don't know what makes it... General Amiga gaming experience because I have never stopped playing them? Better general insight into things?

In any case I've got massive results on Lemon/EAB compo compared to where I got with the same games in old times for example. Many games seem to be easier to complete and even pretty short compared to what I remember them being over 20 years ago and how early I used to get stuck on them.
Old 23 April 2015, 08:03   #37
Thorham
Computer Nerd

You bunch of old, slow farts Age is between the ears! I'm better at gaming now then when I was half my current age (38).
Old 23 April 2015, 09:11   #38
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
You bunch of old, slow farts Age is between the ears! I'm better at gaming now then when I was half my current age (38).
So am I, 20 years ago I wouldn't have been able to wreak havoc in Civilization 5 as I do today - because I play it sloooooow

(in the hypothetical case that Civ 5 existed back then of course)
Old 23 April 2015, 09:47   #39
TenLeftFingers

That's a good point gimbal - there are categories of games that don't require 'youthful twitchiness' but rather a cool head that I definitely didn't have back then. Maybe Monkey Island 2 will be less frustrating this time around!
Old 23 April 2015, 11:56   #40
happymondays

I remember I was so bad at Super Cars and it annoyed me so much, but now at 36 I tried and aced the whole game for the first try.
Although I also tried SWOS and I am much worse in it than I used to be. I still think it is only a matter of practice, because it also took me some time to master it back then. Same for MU: The Double.