English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 October 2009, 19:15   #21
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Ok i've once again done a clean install of IDEfix-97 using Amigasys 4... it does not show my last partition "HD3:" so now i've done as Jope suggested and entered "dir hd3: >nil:" line into the startup-sequence after the IDEfix lines. The partition now shows up and i can use it, but what exactly does "dir hd3: >nil:" do? Will it affect anything else
AdSense AdSense  
Old 26 October 2009, 19:21   #22
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
It will take a directory listing of dh3: and throw the output away.

The reason there is no explicit cd to sys: in the startup-sequence is, that it is the current directory from when you boot up.
Old 26 October 2009, 19:43   #23
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
It will take a directory listing of dh3: and throw the output away.

The reason there is no explicit cd to sys: in the startup-sequence is, that it is the current directory from when you boot up.
So everything should be fine with the following lines added to the beginning of the startup-sequence:

IDEfix
Dir HD3: >NIL:

I'm not too sure what you mean when you say it throws the output away? Thanks for your help
Old 26 October 2009, 19:48   #24
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
NIL stands for nothing, in other words instead of seeing the output of the command you dont it gets sent to oblivion or where ever computer data gose when it dies

if you look more closely at your startup-sequence you`ll see >NIL: that NIL: device is quite handy
Old 26 October 2009, 19:50   #25
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
I'm not too sure what you mean when you say it throws the output away? Thanks for your help
Hi PowerPie,

Normally the output of the Dir HD3: command would be sent to the display. The >NIL: part of the command redirects the output to a null device, i.e. sends it into oblivion, or "throws it away".

Edit: Beaten to the post by cosmicfrog!
Old 26 October 2009, 19:54   #26
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
NIL stands for nothing, in other words instead of seeing the output of the command you dont it gets sent to oblivion or where ever computer data gose when it dies

if you look more closely at your startup-sequence you`ll see >NIL: that NIL: device is quite handy
Yeah i've noticed it on a few things! I've never in my life needed to edit the startup-sequence until i got this new hard drive... I've never even used IDEfix before and it's been a real headache with my A1200 setup

All i wanted was access to all my partitions without having any side effects... the first 3 partitions are fine but the last one stretches past the 4gb limit so it does not show up without having to mess around with IDEfix and startup-sequence's
Old 26 October 2009, 19:56   #27
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi PowerPie,

Normally the output of the Dir HD3: command would be sent to the display. The >NIL: part of the command redirects the output to a null device, i.e. sends it into oblivion, or "throws it away".

Edit: Beaten to the post by cosmicfrog!
But don't i need the output of the partition to be sent to the display i don't really understand? I need to see the partition and it's contents from within Amigasys 4 or Workbench/OS 3.1 so that i can use it...

At first i just thought this was a problem with my Kickstart 3.0 roms due to the hard drive being larger than 4gb... i thought maybe there was some limitation

Last edited by PowerPie5000; 26 October 2009 at 20:06.
Old 26 October 2009, 20:09   #28
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
why would you want to look at a directory listing of hd3: every time you boot ?

oh you don`t hence NIL:
Old 26 October 2009, 20:11   #29
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
But don't i need the output of the partition to be sent to the display i don't really understand? I need to see the partition and it's contents from within Amigasys 4 or Workbench/OS 3.1 so that i can use it...
You are adding the line Dir HD3: >NIL: to your startup-sequence in order to see the partition and its contents from within your Workbench installation.

This command line avoids using the commands HD3: followed by Dir, which, as you have seen, can achieve the same thing. The trouble with adding these commands to your startup-sequence is that your current directory will be changed from SYS: to HD3: and the output of the Dir command will be written to the display.

Dir HD3: >NIL:, on the other hand, preserves SYS: as the current directory and suppresses the output of the Dir command by redirecting it to a null device.
Old 26 October 2009, 20:27   #30
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
You are adding the line Dir HD3: >NIL: to your startup-sequence in order to see the partition and its contents from within your Workbench installation.

This command line avoids using the commands HD3: followed by Dir, which, as you have seen, can achieve the same thing. The trouble with adding these commands to your startup-sequence is that your current directory will be changed from SYS: to HD3: and the output of the Dir command will be written to the display.

Dir HD3: >NIL:, on the other hand, preserves SYS: as the current directory and suppresses the output of the Dir command by redirecting it to a null device.
Thanks for clearing that up... I understand now So my s:startup-sequence config should be fine then if i just add Dir HD3: >NIL: after the IDEfix line? And do i add these lines at the very beginning before anything else? Cheers
Old 26 October 2009, 20:34   #31
prowler
Global Moderator

Just add Dir HD3: >NIL: to your startup-sequence after the section you listed at the beginning of the thread which ended ;END IDEfix

That is, if IDEfix is present in your C: folder.
Old 26 October 2009, 20:57   #32
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Just add Dir HD3: >NIL: to your startup-sequence after the section you listed at the beginning of the thread which ended ;END IDEfix

That is, if IDEfix is present in your C: folder.
Yep i'm pretty sure IDEfix is running (and present in both bootable OS partitions)... if i try loadIDE then it tells me IDEfix has already been executed when the system boots, Also if i add Dir HD3: >NIL: without the IDEfix line present then HD3: is not shown.

It seems to be working fine at the moment... even when i power off and on, HD3: stays

I just booted Workbench 3.1 from HD0: and now for some reason it's telling me i need to register IDEfix? it does not do this when i boot Amigasys 4 - and where do i go to register it
Old 26 October 2009, 21:04   #33
prowler
Global Moderator

If you have the registered version of IDEfix, you will have to apply the registration, i.e. enter your username and serial number, twice - once for each bootable system.
Old 26 October 2009, 21:15   #34
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
If you have the registered version of IDEfix, you will have to apply the registration, i.e. enter your username and serial number, twice - once for each bootable system.
Now that could be a problem! I don't have the registration details for IDEfix-97 When i boot WB 3.1 it tells me i'm using an evaluation copy and gives me the option to enter the registration details... but that does not happen when i boot into Amigasys 4 ... can i still get it registered? and where/how? Thanks
Old 26 October 2009, 21:33   #35
Retro1234

I wonder if the reg info is stored in a file maybe in ENV?
If not Google is your friend for the reg details
These famous words were told to me long ago.
Old 26 October 2009, 21:50   #36
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I've found the reg details and now it's back to normal again without the annoying popup

I've also modified the startup-sequence's for both WB 3.1 + Amigasys 4 and everything seems to be running fine (may have a couple of programs that can't load due to missing something or cannot open something... but it's no problem as they are the one's i don't use ).

I can now reset, power off and then boot up again without losing my last drive partition I'm gonna enjoy going through a load of long lost demo's and stuff tonight

Thanks everyone for all your help
Old 26 October 2009, 21:55   #37
prowler
Global Moderator

Well done, mate!

Don't forget to upload here anything you find that might be interesting.
Old 26 October 2009, 22:02   #38
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Well done, mate!

Don't forget to upload here anything you find that might be interesting.
There is nearly 2gb worth of various demo's, music and pics on this long lost partition ... what would be the easiest way to upload stuff from my A1200?

Some of the tech demo's really make my 40mhz 030 A1200 beg for mercy
Old 26 October 2009, 22:11   #39
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
There is nearly 2gb worth of various demo's, music and pics on this long lost partition ... what would be the easiest way to upload stuff from my A1200?
Hmm... I guess it would be best to transfer it to your PC first. Best option is to attach the hard drive to your PC's IDE controller (assuming it has one), mount it in WinUAE along with a directory on your Windows hard drive and transfer the files from the Shell or by dragging and dropping in Workbench.

Quote:
Some of the tech demo's really make my 40mhz 030 A1200 beg for mercy
That good, eh?
Old 27 October 2009, 03:50   #40
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
A demo who will put the humble 40MHz 030 to its knees is "Relic"...
AdSense AdSense