English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 October 2009, 00:48   #1
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

KS 3.0 hard drive size limitation?

Ok i have a hard drive that is just over 4gb with 4 partitions (different sizes HD0: HD1: HD2: and HD3. For some reason i cannot access or see the last partition when i boot into either WB 3.1 or Amigasys 4 AGA! I can access HD3: by typing "idefix" then "HD3:" and "Dir" using AmigaDos (boot A1200 with no startup sequence).

I'm not sure if this is a Kickstart 3.0 limitation or an idefix issue? I have installed idefix in both the WB 3.1 partition and the Amigasys "System" partition but nothing seems to happen... I still can't see or access my last partition

Can anyone help? please
AdSense AdSense  
Old 26 October 2009, 01:27   #2
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

My startup-sequence file for both Workbench 3.1 and Amigasys displays the following at the beginning:

;BEGIN IDEfix
If Exists C:IDEfix
; you may want to exchange the following line with loadIDE reset quiet
; to make IDEfix reset resident, or loadIDE start quiet
; to start IDEfix immediately and have it reset resident
; from the next reboot. Make sure to put loadIDE behind any Kickstart mappers!
C:IDEfix
Endif
; END IDEfix

This does not make any sense to me! I tried re-installing IDEfix and my 4th partition is still not showing up! It's full of demo's and music etc.. I know it's there because i can access it using AmigaDos by typing "IDEfix" then "HD3:" and "Dir".

I keep wondering if it's a Kickstart 3.0 issue as the drive is over 4gb (4.3gb). Can anyone help please?

Last edited by PowerPie5000; 26 October 2009 at 19:59.
Old 26 October 2009, 01:31   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
My startup-sequence file for both Workbench 3.1 and Amigasys displays the following at the beginning:

;BEGIN IDEfix
If Exists C:IDEfix
; you may want to exchange the following line with loadIDE reset quiet
; to make IDEfix reset resident, or loadIDE start quiet
; to start IDEfix immediately and have it reset resident
; from the next reboot. Make sure to put loadIDE behind any Kickstart mapp
C:IDEfix
Endif
; END IDEfix

This does not make any sense to me! I tried re-installing IDEfix and my 4th partition is still not showing up! It's full of demo's and music etc.. I know it's there because i can access it using AmigaDos by typing "IDEfix" then "HD3:" and "Dir".

I keep wondering if it's a Kickstart 3.0 issue as the drive is over 4gb (4.3gb). Can anyone help please?
I have seen this problem before, im trying to remember what it was.
Im remembering something to do with the os not being installed / boing bagged properly. I seen it with OS3.5 not sure on 3.1.
Old 26 October 2009, 01:39   #4
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I have seen this problem before, im trying to remember what it was.
Im remembering something to do with the os not being installed / boing bagged properly. I seen it with OS3.5 not sure on 3.1.
I'm mainly trying to get it working with Amigasys 4 AGA and i'm not too bothered about using it with the standard WB/OS 3.1 The previous owner of the hard drive had all partitions working in his A1200 and he says all partitions were also available using UAE and KS 3.0... I am really confused! (he had KS 3.1 roms in his real A1200)

I have also mentioned this issue here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=47685
Old 26 October 2009, 01:46   #5
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
I'm mainly trying to get it working with Amigasys 4 AGA and i'm not too bothered about using it with the standard WB/OS 3.1 The previous owner of the hard drive had all partitions working in his A1200 and he says all partitions were also available using UAE and KS 3.0... I am really confused! (he had KS 3.1 roms in his real A1200)

I have also mentioned this issue here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=47685
Try UAE with KS 3.1.
Old 26 October 2009, 01:52   #6
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Try UAE with KS 3.1.
That would mean puling the drive from my A1200 and plugging it into my PC! I dont have an adapter for that either There must be a way to fix this without removing it from my A1200? Maybe i should just buy some 3.1 roms? but the roms may not be the issue as it's been tested and working using UAE with KS 3.0 roms
Old 26 October 2009, 01:57   #7
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
That would mean puling the drive from my A1200 and plugging it into my PC! I dont have an adapter for that either There must be a way to fix this without removing it from my A1200? Maybe i should just buy some 3.1 roms? but the roms may not be the issue as it's been tested and working using UAE with KS 3.0 roms
Ah, sorry misread.

So its been in a pc running WinUAE and KS3.1 and it worked?

What filesystem does DH3: have?
Old 26 October 2009, 02:28   #8
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Ah, sorry misread.

So its been in a pc running WinUAE and KS3.1 and it worked?

What filesystem does DH3: have?
It's been in a real A1200 using KS3.1 and all partitions worked... It has also been in a PC using WinUAE with KS3.0 and all partitions worked! I will have to check the file system for DH3: but i assume all partitions on this drive will have the same file system?
Old 26 October 2009, 03:49   #9
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Ok i have finally fixed my partition issue... it was something simple! All i had to do was add "DH3:" line to my startup-sequence after the "IDEfix" line

I now have full access to all 4 partitions on my drive (all 4.3gb )
Old 26 October 2009, 11:12   #10
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Ok i have finally fixed my partition issue... it was something simple! All i had to do was add "DH3:" line to my startup-sequence after the "IDEfix" line

I now have full access to all 4 partitions on my drive (all 4.3gb )
lol, think thats what I done in the end. Its not a fixed, just worked around, .
Old 26 October 2009, 12:09   #11
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Strange. Idefix should reboot the machine on the first run and stay resident.

I'd say use check4gb and fix any remaining problems before storing data into your last partition..
Old 26 October 2009, 12:33   #12
thomas

Quote:
Idefix should reboot the machine on the first run and stay resident.
No. LoadIDE does this, not IDEfix.
Old 26 October 2009, 12:46   #13
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Strange. Idefix should reboot the machine on the first run and stay resident.

I'd say use check4gb and fix any remaining problems before storing data into your last partition..
I already have loads of old demo's, music and pics on the last partition... I could not access it until i entered "idefix" and then "dh3:" lines into the startup sequence.... now it all works fine

idefix did not reboot my machine either... is it supposed too? I'm using it with Amigasys 4 if that makes any difference?
Old 26 October 2009, 13:18   #14
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
I already have loads of old demo's, music and pics on the last partition... I could not access it until i entered "idefix" and then "dh3:" lines into the startup sequence.... now it all works fine

idefix did not reboot my machine either... is it supposed too? I'm using it with Amigasys 4 if that makes any difference?
See here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Doing this will make all partitions show up normally. On my setup I have a bunch of partitions in the first four gigabytes of the HD (they all show up), and three after the four gig limit. Those last three partitions are there, but they don't show up. It's just how IdeFix works, and it's not a problem.
Old 26 October 2009, 14:05   #15
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
On my setup I have a bunch of partitions in the first four gigabytes of the HD (they all show up), and three after the four gig limit. Those last three partitions are there, but they don't show up. It's just how IdeFix works, and it's not a problem.
It's was a problem for me because my last partition went over the 4gb limit and had loads of stuff installed on it! I needed it to show up otherwise i could not use it... but it's showing up now after messing around with the startup-sequence

What difference would loadIDE make anyway? Is it better than using the "idefix" and "dh3:" lines to show my last partition?
Old 26 October 2009, 14:38   #16
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Quote:
And I was so sure. Pah. :-)

Quote:
What difference would loadIDE make anyway? Is it better than using the "idefix" and "dh3:" lines to show my last partition?
Not much difference, only if you later want to boot from a partition that's above 4GB I guess.

Add sys: on a different line after dh3: just to be nice. Or replace dh3: with dir dh3: >nil: just to be nice and keep the startup-sequence's current dir in sys:. :-)
Old 26 October 2009, 15:15   #17
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Add sys: on a different line after dh3: just to be nice. Or replace dh3: with dir dh3: >nil: just to be nice and keep the startup-sequence's current dir in sys:. :-)
I'm not too sure what you mean? my startup-sequence is stored in my System: partition for Amigasys 4. Will adding these lines make any difference as i already now have access to the partition over the 4gb limit?
Old 26 October 2009, 15:47   #18
thomas

Quote:
Will adding these lines make any difference as i already now have access to the partition over the 4gb limit?
The current directory when executing startup-sequence is SYS:. Now that you entered DH3: (which is a short form of CD DH3:) you changed the current directory to DF3:. Some program in user-startup might make assumptions about the current directory, which you canged.

Replacing the DH3: line by something which only accesses the partition, but does not change the current directory (like DIR DH3: or DISKCHANGE DH3:) would be better. Or change it back to SYS: after the change to DH3:

BTW, I wonder which file system you use for your partition. Cannot be FastFileSystem, at least not the original one because it would not be able to access beyond 4GB, even with IDEfix.

Last edited by thomas; 26 October 2009 at 16:03.
Old 26 October 2009, 17:47   #19
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
The current directory when executing startup-sequence is SYS:. Now that you entered DH3: (which is a short form of CD DH3 you changed the current directory to DF3:. Some program in user-startup might make assumptions about the current directory, which you canged.

Replacing the DH3: line by something which only accesses the partition, but does not change the current directory (like DIR DH3: or DISKCHANGE DH3 would be better. Or change it back to SYS: after the change to DH3:

BTW, I wonder which file system you use for your partition. Cannot be FastFileSystem, at least not the original one because it would not be able to access beyond 4GB, even with IDEfix.
I'm pretty sure its using SFS file system.... I'm not the one who set up the contents of the drive Also i do not see a SYS: line in the startup-sequence - it was never there before i entered DH3:
I have now completeley removed the "idefix" and "dh3:" lines from the startup-sequence and my 4th partition is still available! (i thought it would disappear again?)

EDIT: Ok the last partition disappears when i turn the power off and then on again
Old 26 October 2009, 18:00   #20
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

All i want is to have all 4 partitions available to Amigasys 4 and Workbench 3.1.

My partitions are as follows:

HD0: Workbench 3.1 (approx 70mb)
HD1: System (approx 160mb) (Amigasys 4)
HD2: Work (approx 2gb) (WHDload, games and utils etc...)
HD3: Extra (approx 2.1gb) (Demo's, Music and pictures etc...)

I'm currently booting from "DH1: System" (Amigasys 4) and would like to know the best way for "DH3: Extra" to show up so that i can use it! I tried adding "idefix" and "dh3:" as seperate lines in the startup-sequence and it works but is apparently not recommended? What exactly should my startup-sequence look like? I'm getting very confused and close to throwing my A1200 out the nearest window

Please help

EDIT: i keep calling the partition "DH3:" when it's "HD3:"

Last edited by PowerPie5000; 26 October 2009 at 18:28.
AdSense AdSense