English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 October 2009, 01:45   #1
Lockon
Air supremacy

Async vs sync disk transfer

I have GVP A530 "glued" to A500+ and a disk performance problem.
Specs: Kick 3.1, 2MB chip, 8Mb fast, 030 (MMU) at 40Mhz, FPU. GVP ROM is v4.15. Acard SCSI-IDE bridge driving IDE-CF adapter with 1Gb SANDISK CF.

In HDINSTTOOLS storage has set SYNCHRONOUS checkbox and set INTERLEAVE to 1; has single PFS3 partition, buffers set to 500, MaxTransfer to 0x0001FE00, Mask to 0x00FFFFFC.

Above all, it seems I can't get this sucker transfer any faster than 1MByte pre second. That's exactly what few tools said about it. Few contacts on other forums reported speeds of 1.9-2.1 MByteps in almost similar setups.
One of them told me it might be faster if SCSI is set to async mode ?
I hope that doensn't mean unticking that mentioned checkbox in HDINSTTOOLS, because I did that with no progress.

Any idea?
I'd hate to write an e-mail to Ralph Babel
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 October 2009, 16:12   #2
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
If there is a problem with your cabling and / or termination, then async mode might get it to work in a more reliable fashion. Async SCSI is what the original SCSI spec called for, synchronous mode was invented later on to give better utilization of the SCSI bus. Less handshaking involved when the HBA and target device trust each other to stay in sync.

I'd go through the cable(s) and termination first just to be sure. Nothing is worse than corrupting data because of that, just setting it to async right away may just be covering up the symptoms of an existing problem in your SCSI bus.
Old 19 October 2009, 00:09   #3
Lockon
Air supremacy

Thnx Jope,

I'll make some additional inspection, even with growing confidence that cabling and termination are set properly. So, that checkbox in HDINSTTOOLS is the only place to change mode of operation (sync/async)?
Old 19 October 2009, 09:11   #4
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
I'm not too familiar with the later GVP controllers, but that should be a good place. Check the support disks for additional tools related to this. You can probably get them from l8r.net or amiga.resource.cx.
Old 26 October 2009, 00:56   #5
Lockon
Air supremacy

I found at least 5 different GVP install disks which had more or less same set of utilities, altough most of them were updates. Really nothing usable or even remotely helpful.

Lost in faith, I removed ACARD SCSI-IDE bridge and got good old Seagate HAWK hooked up right on the onboard GVP SCSI. Same speed (1.1MByte) here again. This rules out bridges, adapters and CF card completely.

Now I'll focus on GVP board itself, maybe I have some jumper set on wrong position, there are at least 10 jumpers set for some unknown "reserved" purpose.

The only bright fact is that funny feeling when SCSI boots up....compared to CF, it is lagging some good 15-20 seconds (spinup, reselect...)
AdSense AdSense