English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 August 2017, 19:33   #1
Sinphaltimus

Amibian.js

I've been looking closer at amibian.js and find it most impressive. Yes, it's emulation at it's core, uae to be more exact. But at what point does that matter? Clearly fpga and emulation are a driving force in helping keep the Amiga Scene afloat.

I can't pretend to know what I'm talking about or fully appreciate everything said here - but I thought this was an interesting and exciting read.

https://jonlennartaasenden.wordpress...e-and-present/
Old 29 August 2017, 20:31   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Especially the description of "the cloud" is a bit out there, you'd almost think that you can just drag & drop services together and they automagically communicate with each other. It just doesn't work that way, you have to break through many barriers of difficulty to get services to talk; differences in communication protocol being one and security being another major hurdle that will forever keep platforms hard and time consuming to implement, no matter how many standardized building blocks you have.
Old 29 August 2017, 20:49   #3
Sinphaltimus

I think that's the point of this project. The developer seems to be aware of the challenges and willing to develop around them. That's the exciting part I think.

The reason i think so is because the world around us is virtualized. VMs are driving tech forward in unusual and exciting ways. So build of UAE as a VM the way he describes here. Well, I think it's an interesting approach and since he's willing to give it a go...

It's hard to keep up with the progress. Seems he's releasing something new a few times a week so it's a very active project that's even open to all for a demo.

http://quartexhq.myasustor.com/

I have 1meg up and 3 down dsl for internet. The performance of this was impressive to me. i actually played Tombraider for a bit with no issues for shits and giggles.

Not being a programmer by any stretch of the imagination myself. I'm just excited to see more Amiga centric projects going on everywhere I look. The ones that progress excite me more than others. It feels like fun again.
Old 31 August 2017, 19:07   #4
ferrellsl
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ferrellsl Send a message via Yahoo to ferrellsl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
I think that's the point of this project. The developer seems to be aware of the challenges and willing to develop around them. That's the exciting part I think.

The reason i think so is because the world around us is virtualized. VMs are driving tech forward in unusual and exciting ways. So build of UAE as a VM the way he describes here. Well, I think it's an interesting approach and since he's willing to give it a go...

It's hard to keep up with the progress. Seems he's releasing something new a few times a week so it's a very active project that's even open to all for a demo.

http://quartexhq.myasustor.com/

I have 1meg up and 3 down dsl for internet. The performance of this was impressive to me. i actually played Tombraider for a bit with no issues for shits and giggles.

Not being a programmer by any stretch of the imagination myself. I'm just excited to see more Amiga centric projects going on everywhere I look. The ones that progress excite me more than others. It feels like fun again.
I'm not sure I'd classify the quartex project as an "Amiga" project. There's almost nothing Amiga about it except for a completely useless desktop that "looks" Amiga-like and the apps that one can launch from the toolbar on the right are merely javascript ports of Quake and Tomb Raider, etc. And running a javascript version of UAE thru my browser only adds another layer of unnecessary complexity to slow things down or crash my browser. I'd much rather use a compiled variant of UAE on local hardware for performance reasons as well as the ability to emulate various Amiga configs that one just can't do under a JS virtual machine. BTW, I tried to launch Quake and Tomb Raider via Chrome and both failed, one with a CGI script error and the other complained about a bandwidth error even though my connection is 100Mb down and 50Mb up.

Running javascript apps thru my web browser is about as mundane, slow and painful, and generic as it gets. I'll stick to native versions or use a compiled UAE variant on local hardware unless I happen to be stuck with an extremely anemic Chromebook as my only computer.

Last edited by ferrellsl; 31 August 2017 at 19:22.
Old 26 January 2018, 10:37   #5
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I could be missing the point completely, but the link in OP was posted on 1st April.... ???
Old 26 January 2018, 12:20   #6
Sinphaltimus

Not a joke. I dunno what Ferellsl experienced but I have a 1mup 3m down connection and ran both games merited just fine when I posted this. It maybe that they dive with first because if changes.

The point of the project I'd that it is 68k emulation via web and being designed as a development platform for many tools.

And it's super fast.