English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 23 December 2019, 00:50   #1
dschallock

installing Classact and Reaction on 3.1.4

I believe classact is available on aminet however how does one install reaction to os 3.1.4?

Also, is there any possible negative effect on 3.1.4 by installing these?

background: I am a registered owner of Warp Data types. I used to use them on a 3.9 installation. I have now switched to 3.1.4 and the warp prefs program apparently requires both class act and reaction to run. I was looking to see if it was possible to install them, but don't want to add buggy incompatibilities on my clean new 3.1.4 install either.

Thanks for the help and advice!
Old 23 December 2019, 01:27   #2
thomas

Quote:
I have now switched to 3.1.4 and the warp prefs program apparently requires both class act and reaction to run.
That's nonsense. ReAction is the successor of ClassAct. You can have only one, they replace each other.

Quote:
I was looking to see if it was possible to install them, but don't want to add buggy incompatibilities on my clean new 3.1.4 install either.
You can keep additional classes in their own directory. Just add the seperate Classes directory to the Libs: assign.

Code:
Assign Libs: Work:ClassAct/Classes ADD
Old 23 December 2019, 02:35   #3
dschallock

Thanks for the reply Thomas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
That's nonsense. ReAction is the successor of ClassAct. You can have only one, they replace each other.

So if ReAction is the successor then that would be the better of the 2?

You can keep additional classes in their own directory. Just add the seperate Classes directory to the Libs: assign.

Code:
Assign Libs: Work:ClassAct/Classes ADD
Thank you for that example. If I was installing Reaction, would it be the same, just copy the Reaction classes to the directory and then add the assign statement like above?

Does it matter if an assign that the one in your example is in the user-startup vs the startup sequence?

Where do you think would be the cleanest place for such an assign?

Thanks!
Old 23 December 2019, 08:59   #4
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Easiest way to install ReAction is just to copy the classes to SYS:Classes. (Gadget classes into SYS:Classes/Gadgets and image classes into SYS:Classes/Images). This shouldn't require any assigns you don't already have.
Old 26 December 2019, 19:32   #5
dschallock

Summery of the solution

Hi everyone,
Thanks to forum member’s feedback and some tips from the code’s author, I have successfully gotten Oliver Roberts’ Warp Data Type Prefs (WaprDTPrefs) working on a fresh install of Amiga OS 3.1.4.

I wanted to sum up how it was accomplished for future readers.

The challenge/objective of my quest:
The issue is that the WarpDTPrefs program uses the Reaction GUI system which is part of the Amiga OS 3.9 installation (and 3.5). Currently 3.1.4 does not use reaction out of the box. I believe Hyperion has acquired Reaction, so this may be a moot point in future releases of the OS (3.2?) but for now, this is how to get WarpDTPrefs working on 3.1.4 and possibly any other Reaction based GUI program that would have worked under 3.9

What you need:
You need a source of an OS 3.9 installation that has the Reaction system installed or the Amiga OS 3.9 CD (Which is what I used). There may be an archive somewhere with just the files you need but I couldn’t find it on the net.

The solution:
You need to copy 4 groups of files onto your sys: partition
1) From the 3.9 CD you need to locate and copy the resource.library into your LIBS: directory.
2) From the 3.9 CD you need to copy all the Sys:Classes/Gadgets /#? Into Sys:Classes/Gadgets/ on your partition. (Note: on the 3.9 CD there is a OS 3.5 directory and a OS 3.9 directory. Each of those drawers have a Classes/Gadets/ folder and each have different gadets. You need to copy the contents of both into your Classes/Gadets/ directory!)
3) From the 3.9 CD you need to copy all the Sys:Classes/Images/#? Into Sys:Classes/Images/ on your partition. (Note: on the 3.9 CD there is a OS 3.5 directory and a OS 3.9 directory. Each of those drawers have a Classes/Images/ folder and each have different Images files. You need to copy the contents of both into your Classes/Images/ directory!)
4) From the 3.9 CD you need to copy all the Sys:Classes/#?.class files into your Sys:Classes/ directory. (Note: Again… on the 3.9 CD there is a OS 3.5 directory and a OS 3.9 directory. Each of those drawers have a Classes/ folder and each have different .class files. You need to copy the contents of both into your Classes/ directory!)

Final Thoughts:
None of the files that I mention above overwrite anything in the fresh 3.1.4 installation; therefore I assume that there is no negative impact on the 3.1.4 installation. (This is a good thing).
Per Oliver Roberts’ suggestion via email, I used snoop dos running and continued trying to run WarpDTPrefs unti I figured out every file that was missing. For me the confusion was that the Amiga OS 3.9 CD contained a 3.5 and 3.9 directories that each seemed to contain different but apparently necessary .class, .gadet, and .image files from their respective directories. Although I believe I have covered everything necessary here, when in doubt run snoop dos to see if there is a file missing.
Thank you to the forum members who helped, and especially to Oliver Roberts for his help and for his fantastic Datatypes, I hope he continues developing them and I would encourage anyone considering buying them to do so. The link to his WaprDT page is: https://www.warpdt.co.uk/
Old 26 December 2019, 20:29   #6
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschallock View Post
2) From the 3.9 CD you need to copy all the Sys:Classes/Gadgets /#? Into Sys:Classes/Gadgets/ on your partition. (Note: on the 3.9 CD there is a OS 3.5 directory and a OS 3.9 directory. Each of those drawers have a Classes/Gadets/ folder and each have different gadets. You need to copy the contents of both into your Classes/Gadets/ directory!)
3) From the 3.9 CD you need to copy all the Sys:Classes/Images/#? Into Sys:Classes/Images/ on your partition. (Note: on the 3.9 CD there is a OS 3.5 directory and a OS 3.9 directory. Each of those drawers have a Classes/Images/ folder and each have different Images files. You need to copy the contents of both into your Classes/Images/ directory!)
4) From the 3.9 CD you need to copy all the Sys:Classes/#?.class files into your Sys:Classes/ directory. (Note: Again… on the 3.9 CD there is a OS 3.5 directory and a OS 3.9 directory. Each of those drawers have a Classes/ folder and each have different .class files. You need to copy the contents of both into your Classes/ directory!)
Or you could copy them all from Emergency-Boot/classes/ and save yourself a lot of confusion.
Old 27 December 2019, 05:54   #7
dschallock

Hey James,
If the emergency-boot/classes has the combined classes, images, and gadgets from 3.5 and 3.9 then absolutely.... good catch!
Thought I had checked for that but I must have missed it.
Old 06 February 2020, 16:18   #8
DarrenHD

I hope with AmigaOS 3.2 this is resolved since Hyperion now owns ReAction.
Old 06 February 2020, 19:19   #9
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
I hope with AmigaOS 3.2 this is resolved since Hyperion now owns ReAction.