English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 13 May 2020, 21:15   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Replacement Hard Drive - Shingled?!! SMR vs PMR vs NAS

Hi guys,
I'm after some advice. My pc's hard drive is around seven years old, so I thought, I'd buy a replacement, clone my current drive on to it, and put it on the shelf to await the inevitable. My existing drive is a Seagate Barracuda, and given how long it's lasted I thought I'd get the same again, only bigger.

I found one on Amazon but on reading a few reviews, technology has moved on, and there seems to be a lot of concern about this "shingled" thing. SMR as opposed to the older PMR. It can utilise the area better but in some conditions it's cache becomes full and it will slow down dramatically, or so the theory goes.

Obviously, you can always find people over-reacting to this sort of thing, but on the other hand, there seems to be quite a lot of widespread concern, and the manufacturers have been rather furtive in implementing it, without it appearing on their spec sheets.

I could get an ironwolf NAS hard drive for a bit more money, but apparently they are louder, use more voltage and prefer to be run 24/7?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 14 May 2020, 11:16   #2
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

As far as I've understood, SMR shouldn't be a problem unless you're rebuilding a RAID array. I don't have any personal experience with this though.
Old 15 May 2020, 11:50   #3
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Thank you, sir. I appreciate the response. Anybody else have any info?