English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 24 January 2013, 23:01   #1
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Joystick won't work under Mint Linux Nadia

Hi,

I've tested it with jstest-gtk and it mostly works (except for the up position), but it won't do a thing in FS-UAE despite my USB-9 pin adapter being correctly recognised. Any idea what's wrong?
Old 24 January 2013, 23:05   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Attach FS-UAE.log!
Old 24 January 2013, 23:10   #3
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Thanks for getting back to me. Yep, that would probably help wouldn't it. Here you go.
Attached Files
File Type: txt FS-UAE.txt (44.0 KB, 183 views)
Old 24 January 2013, 23:16   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

The problem is simply that there's no config for this controller yet: (fog_c_2012_retro_joystick_interface_v1_2_13_3_0_0_linux)

You can create a config manually, or with FS-UAE Launcher ("Configure joystick buttons" in Settings).

An even simpler method is to upgrade to the latest development version (http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/download-devel). There's a feature there where also unrecognized joysticks works out of the box in Amiga joystick mode (but not in CD32 gamepad mode)

EDIT: but of course: "Up" won't work in FS-UAE if it doesn't work at all in joystick tester / calibration software...

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 24 January 2013 at 23:21.
Old 25 January 2013, 00:51   #5
tommywright

I have one of the competition pro sticks (usb) and it works fine with Mint 14 (Nadia) and fs-uae. Just fyi.

Old 25 January 2013, 08:53   #6
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Thanks! I tried the dev version and that did the trick without tweaking anything. Up does kind of work in the emulator, but it's intermittent and laggy. Maybe it needed loosening up as this is probably the first time this joystick has been used in decades.

Thanks for the info tommy. It's a good choice, don't you think? I tried standard Ubuntu first and that crashed so often I quickly switched to Mint after reading that it's generally more reliable. I've experienced far less random, inexplicable weirdness despite Mint being built on the same foundations. I think Mint would make a much better poster boy for Linux if the goal is to get more people to try it.
Old 25 January 2013, 19:25   #7
tommywright

I use Mint mainly because Ubuntu's Unity is just too slow. The biggest benefit of using Linux is that it is super snappy and if you add a launcher that slows everything down, it defeats the purpose (IMO). They both run very well on my machine and both are super stable. I was on Mint 11 forever but upgraded because I wanted Steam. :-)