English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 May 2017, 03:31   #1
Amiga1992

Compilation: GOTEK starter package & playlist

[EDIT 2021] I AM TAKING THIS OFFLINE!
I haven't felt like updating it anymore for years now, it kind of lost its purpose with FlashFloppy advancements anyway, and I really do not want to answer any more questions about it.

Original post kept for consistency:
[EDIT] I will only be supporting HxC and FlashFloppy firmwares from now on. Cortex is buggy and abandoned, playlists don't work across devices so I don't care anymore.
If you have a device running Cortex, I suggest you upgrade to FlashFloppy or the commercial HxC.

This week I spent a considerable amount of time building this so I thought I'd share it with the EAB so nobody has to do something like this again. Perfect for the lazy who want an "AllThingsInOneArchive.rar" kinda deal! But even if you aren't lazy (I am not), this is really good to get you going at first without having to worry too much.

I went through the latest TOSEC set I have (from November 2016, I don't care) and selected everything I wanted to put in it.

It ended up being over 3000 disks of which 900+ have been curated by me into a playlist. You can swap and change whatever you want from the remaining available disks on the package.

The games in it are not everything in TOSEC, I selected what I thought was better, to MY liking. There are no massive multidisk games, and rarely any strategic or "serious" games, definitely almost no flightsims, so it's a curated list, don't expect to have all you need, but you can add to it, as a starting point, I think it's a very good one you can try right away as soon as you get your GOTEK without having to deal with TOSEC. You can finetune it as time passes.

I made sure I didn't select any of the images with virus in it but if something slipped, I apologize. Please take care (not my fault TOSEC has files with virus :/) and as always I put forth a disclaimer that if anything happens with your computer or software by using this pack, I am entirely not responsible for it. So be a responsible Amigan!

You can find the package at the EAB FTP on the following folder:
~Uploads/Akira/Akira's GOTEK Package & Playlist v2.0.zip

Complete games list:
https://pastebin.com/EDxb79CK

How to use?
Included is a plain textfile with the disks in the current playlist (list.txt), and a PDF file for that playlist that you can print or keep on your tablet or other device for reference. Great for those who don't have an LCD mod on their Gotek.

I also included with the package the latest version of Jeff's HxC configuration tool. Windows binaries only.

Unzip the package onto the root of your USB drive. You need at least 2.80GB free on it to work so at least a 4GB drive.
Move the folder "_SETUP FILES" somewhere else besides the pendrive (like your Desktop). If you don't do this, the HxC configurator will NOT work. This folder CANNOT be on your Gotek USB drive.

Navigate to "_SETUP FILES" and execute RUNMEFIRST.BAT from the command line or double click on its icon, and it will ask you at which drive letter your USB device with ADFs is at. Make sure you select the right one, if you don't, it's going to pointlessly scan the wrong drive (no harm done I believe). If you choose the wrong one it will give you no error so you could be mistaken in thinking it was all done correctly.

After choosing the letter, it will populate the slots with my playlist, on your USB stick.

Now choose which firmware you are using, HxC or FlashFloppy. I included the latest version of both AUTOBOOT images. The script will rename the one you choose accordingly. You can erase the other one if you want, after the script is done.

AT this point you should be good to go!
If you ever want to add or remove ADFs from the USB stick and into the playlist, make sure you use the HxC config tool to refresh the slots with the option -fixslots. Read the included HXCFEMNG documentation for more info.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Amiga1992; 17 March 2021 at 16:40.
Old 27 May 2017, 16:25   #2
Higgy

Cool! Many thanks.
Old 28 May 2017, 22:29   #3
Bastich

Very helpful. I am still after one myself
Old 29 May 2017, 00:49   #4
ransom1122

Nice I have been in the process of renaming all adfs. I was up to the H and started getting a little bored doing it all. I will continue when i feel like it.

I'll check yours out. Looks like you managed to get them all named with less the 26 or so characters that gotek reads

Last edited by ransom1122; 29 May 2017 at 02:20.
Old 29 May 2017, 02:14   #5
amiman99

Thanks, It's very organized and with a LIST!

Nice!

(OOH.. my 700th post!)
Old 29 May 2017, 18:34   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Looks like you managed to get them all named with less the 26 or so characters that gotek reads
I did my best but it could be better. I erased a lot of fluff you don't need to know when using the GOTEK (like who cracked it, or if it's an O dump or +1 or whatever) but still some games have truncated characters. I will try to make it better for the second version, when I get HxC. So yeah you can read most stuff (tried to make sure you can read disk numbers on multidisk games), but some is not there, I also got a bit tired mid-way, and I don't have a proper tool to auto rename it all, so I have to write some sort of script.
Old 29 May 2017, 19:49   #7
Bastich

I have a tool (win32) I wrote to auto rename photos from the awful dscXXXX rubbish into a data and time format (modified data, created / accessed are not helpful). This could probably be updated / expanded to filter out a lot of the excessively​ long filenames.
Old 29 May 2017, 20:55   #8
Amiga1992

The tool I use uses Regular Expressions to rename, I just am really bad at RegExp :P
Old 29 May 2017, 22:31   #9
DamienD
Banned

Well, I'll probably never own a real Amiga again, let alone a Gotek or HxC device...

...but I do love looking at people's favourite 'x' games lists as it enables me to add anything extra that I may have missed from my own 1700+ WinUAE collection, see here

After going through Akira's list, these are the ones that I need to try out / possibly add. There looks like some good ones in there:

Code:
Apache
Arcade Darts
Archer MacLean's Pool
Arya Vaiv
Asterix: Operation Getafix
Bad Company
Beambender
Brataccas
BreakOut Revolution
Bunny Bricks
Burger Man
Captain Blood
CaveMania
Chilly Chavez
Clever & Smart
Crime Time
Cyberzerk
Delta Run
Dr. Mario
Eskadra
Euro Soccer
Extase
Fascination
Fast Eddie's Pool And Billiards
Fast Break
Ferrari Formula One: Grand Prix Racing Simulation
Final Assault
Five-A-Side Soccer
Flintstones, The
Grand Prix Circuit
Hammer Boy
Hill Street Blues
Ice Runner
Indoor Sports: Volume 1
Jet Set Willy II
Jumpman
Katakis
Manic Miner
Mean Arenas
Mega Phoenix
MiG-29 Fulcrum
MiG-29M Super Fulcrum
Miki
Mini Golf
Mr Blobby
Mystical
Pocket Rockets
PocoMan!
Power Pac
Prime Mover
Street Hockey
Strikes -N- Spares
Time Lock
Trex Warrior: 22nd Century Gladiator
Ultimate Pinball Quest, The
Vital Light
Wiraż
...so, thank you kindly Akira

PS. I notice in slot 74 you had:
Code:
 074 Beetle (demo-playable) (1993)(Unique Sty
The full version is this
Old 30 May 2017, 16:08   #10
Amiga1992

Thanks Damien! I was looking for the full version, I will replace it! I noticed some of the PD ones I have are demo versions and will change that soon.

I think most people compile lists only with full commercial games but I have many PD favorites that are up there in quality with full commercial releases and wanted to include them because they deserve more attention! Glad you find it interesting I think this pack would also be great as a starter pack for emulators, like, you can chuck all this on a Raspberry Pi setup and play with UAE4ARM, it doesn't necessarily have to be a GOTEK only collection!
Old 30 May 2017, 23:27   #11
DamienD
Banned

See this BreakOut Revolution [AGA] - "HD install" --> "ADFs" thread Akira!!!
Old 31 May 2017, 05:57   #12
ransom1122

Akira. Nice job here mate. I dumped everything on a usb stick and its working fine on my gotek. I did notice some games names were fairly long. But most are easy readable on the gotek.

If you ever update your gotek games pack please share

When i shorten my adfs i am removing most junk text. The year, the company, brackets etc etc for example

Super Cars II #1
Super Cars II #2

I am also adding games with trainers so i have a multiple version of the same game for example

Super Cars II +4 #1
Suoer Cars II +4 #2
Old 31 May 2017, 07:07   #13
Amiga1992

Compilation: GOTEK starter package & playlist

Ransom, i am glad it worked for you. I do intend to update and re upload this when i get a little more time. With the initial work done, updates are a bit easier.
I was on the fence regarding removing publisher/dev, because some games need it (Barbarian, is it the Palace or Psygnosis one?) but I do think I will get rid of most of them on the next update, because I couldn't care less about that appearing there. I also considered adding different versions of one game but I opted for a larger library instead.
Old 31 May 2017, 08:05   #14
ransom1122

When a game has multiple publishers only then i include the publishers name in the games filename.

I'm just on a monumental task on renaming every adf in the tosec and removing a game that has multiples.

Here is a list of my 3,351 Renamed ADF's

https://pastebin.com/jLY5qZ8c

Last edited by ransom1122; 31 May 2017 at 10:14.
Old 31 May 2017, 16:25   #15
rave
Amiga's made me who I am.

Awesome stuff, thanks for compiling this
Old 31 May 2017, 16:49   #16
Sinphaltimus

Fantastic, thanks for your time and contribution. If you want/need help going to HxC with lcd mod, Been there done that (for my TI) and going to do it again for the Amiga when ready to move in to tower....
Old 01 June 2017, 12:34   #17
ransom1122

Akira.

Something strange is going on. I dumped all your gotek content on a blank fat32 16gb sandisk. Zero - takes you to adf menu
1. Loads 3d pool.

Any other number doesnt load anything????

I reinsert my old 8gb sandisk with my gotek content and that works on every slot?

I cant figure out why no other games load beside #1?

I doubt i have to re enter each adf back in its slot?
Old 01 June 2017, 12:49   #18
liveevil
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
When a game has multiple publishers only then i include the publishers name in the games filename.

I'm just on a monumental task on renaming every adf in the tosec and removing a game that has multiples.

Here is a list of my 3,351 Renamed ADF's

https://pastebin.com/jLY5qZ8c
How come you guys didn't just use the collection from Gambase Amiga ? They are already renamed and tested for the best working version. There are even some fully working versions that aren't even in TOSEC yet. It's a great base to start from and add any extras.
Old 01 June 2017, 18:36   #19
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
How come you guys didn't just use the collection from Gambase Amiga ? They are already renamed and tested for the best working version.
Because I am not familiar with Gamebase, and I didn't want to ever download unnecessary shit like a frontend, covers, screenshots etc. I had enough of a hard time getting TOSEC.
Also I don't want to have the "best version" chosen by someone else. Best version with which use in mind? Gamebase is for emulation users mostly. I chose the best balance for real Amiga users (for example, games that had AGA fix versions took priority over all others, so AGA users can also play).

Also teh Cortex Gotek firmware doesnt't show but 26 characters, so I doubt Gamebase Amiga has renamed with this in mind

Anyway, ransom, I have no idea why this happens. Did you check "selector" and confirmed all slots are filled? I Can change games just fine. If the selector file somehow got fucked, I can upload it again.
Old 01 June 2017, 19:19   #20
liveevil
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Because I am not familiar with Gamebase, and I didn't want to ever download unnecessary shit like a frontend, covers, screenshots etc. I had enough of a hard time getting TOSEC.
Also I don't want to have the "best version" chosen by someone else. Best version with which use in mind? Gamebase is for emulation users mostly. I chose the best balance for real Amiga users (for example, games that had AGA fix versions took priority over all others, so AGA users can also play).
All the gamebase games are on the grandis server, you don't have to download the frontend etc. When I said 'best version' I mean the version that's fully cracked 100% (as the sceners would say), you don't have to sift through 5 cracked versions per game. They are named as game name and disk number. Each to their own though, it was only an option to save you time, as Ransom is in the process of renaming every adf in TOSEC !