English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 08 May 2016, 02:22   #1581
PeterK

The black masks just appear if you switch back from RTG to AGA at runtime. There is no problem after a reboot.
Old 08 May 2016, 02:24   #1582
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
The black masks just appear if you switch back from RTG to AGA at runtime. There is no problem after a reboot.
Ah, ok. I always have to reboot making that.
Old 09 May 2016, 15:11   #1583
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

A little question.
is it normal when i use FBLIT, that icons load slower than without it ?
( i use the 3.5 config that came with the icon.library on my 3.9 setup )

and with FBlit Icons seems to have some problems with "flashing" transparent artefacts when opening or closing windows. The are far less with normal Chip-Ram use.

Is there a way around that ? It´s nothing major, but still
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	48408  
Old 12 May 2016, 23:41   #1584
PeterK

Hi Nibbler,

since you are using WinUAE, I guess that your screenmode is a P96 Hi- or TrueColor mode, isn't it ?? Then don't use FBlit. Just set the gfx memory in Prefs/Workbench to "Other Memory".

In case you are running an AGA setup without P96 installed then try out the FBlit configuration explained by Wizardry and Steamworks on their web page:
http://grimore.org/amiga/os3.9/reduc...am_consumption

Quote:
What happens is that the synchronisation is set to use beamsyncin the QBSBlitPatch section. In case you get screen flickering or black screen showing up intermittently when clicking icons, then set the synchronisationoption to inline.
On my own WinUAE setup I never had any problems like this.
Old 12 May 2016, 23:51   #1585
gulliver
BoingBagged

@PeterK

Just a noob question about icons:

I have an icon for an application that besides its tooltypes it has a text that says *** DON'T EDIT THE FOLLOWING LINES!! ***

When I change this icon image using CopyIcon, this text dissapears, and I am afraid that this process has stripped important code or data that the app required. Is it like that?
Old 13 May 2016, 00:12   #1586
PeterK

Quote:
*** DON'T EDIT THE FOLLOWING LINES!! ***
Hi gulliver,
whenever you find this tooltype string then it's still a NewIcon, because all tooltypes below this line are used by the NewIcon format to store the images and the colormaps as 7-bit encoded character stream.

By using CopyIcon or the OS 3.9 IconEdit these NewIcons are automatically converted into the OS 3.5 format (IconEdit will asl you first).

As long as the emulated newicon.library written by Stephan Rupprecht, which also comes with OS 3.9, is installed instead of one of the original libs from the NewIcon package there should be no problem for older tools that can only handle the NewIcon format.

I've recompiled Stephan Rupprecht's newicon.library for ALL systems since OS 3.0 and an 68000 CPU or better and added this version to the IconDemoADF.lha on the first post of this thread.

PS.: Please install SwazInfo as a replacement for WBInfo on all OS 3.0/3.1 systems !
Old 13 May 2016, 00:57   #1587
gulliver
BoingBagged

Thank you very much for the information.

I was worried I was going to somehow damage the functionality of the application
Old 13 May 2016, 01:04   #1588
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Thank you very much for the information.

I was worried I was going to somehow damage the functionality of the application

Updating something?

Offtopic, but why don't you make a poll or just ask what people would like to have as an option with the installer or by default?
Old 13 May 2016, 07:44   #1589
TuKo
Apollo Team

Hi Peter,

First, I would say that I'm using your IconLib since some years now and it's one of the best software piece Amiga received last years with WHDLoad.

As more and more people are getting Vampire and 32-Bit RTG modes, I've found a strange behaviour which doesn't show in 8/16 and 24-Bit mode on my OS 3.9 (bb4) : some icons colors are wrong until I launch Palette Prefs.

On my setup, they are blue :

I've heard that this bug if coming directly from Workbench and is not a P96 thingy.

Have you heard of it ? Would it be possible to correct it from IconLib ?
Old 13 May 2016, 08:28   #1590
PeterK

Hi TuKo,

now you told me where this bug doesn't show up, but on which system and screenmode will this issue appear? On AGA without P96 installed?

If ENVARC:Sys/Palette.prefs is missing it will result in wrong or random colors on many systems, very often magenta appears. The same happens with non-existing Fonts.prefs. Unfortunately the standard OS installation doesn't create these preferences by default.

Does this bug show up again after saving the Palette.prefs ??
Old 13 May 2016, 13:34   #1591
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
A little question.
is it normal when i use FBLIT, that icons load slower than without it ?
( i use the 3.5 config that came with the icon.library on my 3.9 setup )

and with FBlit Icons seems to have some problems with "flashing" transparent artefacts when opening or closing windows. The are far less with normal Chip-Ram use.

Is there a way around that ? It´s nothing major, but still

@ Peter K

No No, WinUAE was just for the Screenshot.
I always use real Hardware but i use Winuae for a few things ( like screenshots )

So,, i mean the REAL DEAL
This Transparent Flashing of Icon appear when icons load ( and they load slower with FBlit )
I dont need FBlit , i think.

anyway, greetings and HUGE Respect

Last edited by Nibbler; 13 May 2016 at 14:11. Reason: typo
Old 13 May 2016, 13:39   #1592
PeterK

Ok, and did you already try the "INLINE" option as suggested ?

Did you notice this flashing with older versions of my library, too ? (I've removed some WaitBlit() calls recently.)

Some more info about your system, please: CPU, clock speed, screenmode ??? Thanks!

Last edited by PeterK; 13 May 2016 at 13:52.
Old 13 May 2016, 14:10   #1593
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Hi Peter.

The Transparent Flashing when icons load is only REALLY noticeable when using FBLIT.
It dosent matter if i use the original Icon.library or youre awesome one.

So, it´s not youre fault, and i never used FBlit before. (only tryed it because it came with youre last archive)

I can see the Use for Fblit but in my case i have always enough Chip-mem for what i am doing ( i think the only think that need absolute FULL chip-mem is the Abyss Demo Dove, everything else is working straight from my tweaked WB )

And even with FBlit its to less Chip-Mem for DOVE, so i dont have a use for FBLit, really.
Icons load also slower with Fblit on my Config.

Amiga Cd32 CPU=60020EC 14 Mhz , FPU=68882 14mhz , 8 MB FAST-Ram , PAL-HighRes 64 Colors. OS3.9

The Icons load freaking fast !!!
Waaaaay faster than on my Windows machine

Thank you Peter, you rock
Old 13 May 2016, 16:33   #1594
PeterK

Hi Nibbler,

thanks a lot for postings, it showed me some totally new aspects about FBlit on AGA systems.

I was really surprised and never expected that these systems are running faster without FBlit, but I've just tested it on my WinUAE setup and disabled P96, benchmarked it, and yes indeed I can now confirm what you reported to me. So FBlit only saves ChipMem on some systems, you're right !
Old 13 May 2016, 17:34   #1595
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

I / We have to thank you Peter! Icons load so MUCH faster, that is incredible...!!
You deserve alot of for that !
Old 13 May 2016, 18:17   #1596
TuKo
Apollo Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Hi TuKo,

now you told me where this bug doesn't show up, but on which system and screenmode will this issue appear? On AGA without P96 installed?

If ENVARC:Sys/Palette.prefs is missing it will result in wrong or random colors on many systems, very often magenta appears. The same happens with non-existing Fonts.prefs. Unfortunately the standard OS installation doesn't create these preferences by default.

Does this bug show up again after saving the Palette.prefs ??
Hi Peter !

My system is.. of course.. Vampire 600 V2 and I'm running 960x600x32

I have both palette.prefs and font.prefs in ENVARC:Sys

It still show up after overwriting Palette.prefs.
Old 13 May 2016, 19:29   #1597
PeterK

Excuse me for the lack of knowledge I have concerning the Vampire 600 V2, but I don't have any idea regarding its features like the graphics driver that is used (P96, CGX v4 or custom ??) the available screenmodes or anything else.

Is there a cybergraphics.library (emulation) installed for the RTG modes? Which version? (Seems to be P96)

If you have a 32 bit screenmode why do you use just 8 color MWB planar icons? How do the wrong (blue) colors appear on PAL/NTSC ? How will OS 3.5 color mapped icons appear on your 32 bit screenmode?

Sorry for all my stupid questions, but I need much more infos.

Maybe, you could get better help from mfilos: http://www.mfilos.com/

Quote:
After I installed P96 and the SAGA driver... voila!
So far only 320x240 and 640x480 till 16bit are supported but we're still on early stages of awesomeness
Update:
That's funny TuKo, I didn't notice that you are a beta tester for the Vampire 600 V2 !
How can I make you any suggestions ... not even being a user of it?

The only things I could recommend:
- don't use HappyEnv but EnvHandler instead, http://www.stephan-rupprecht.de/down...envhandler.lha
- don't use the MWB daemon for the colors, use Prefs/Workbench instead
- try P96 2.1e http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/Picasso96.htm
- don't use FastIPrefs

Good luck !

Last edited by PeterK; 18 May 2016 at 00:05.
Old 13 May 2016, 22:27   #1598
trixster
Guru Meditating

So are we saying that it might be worthwhile running without FBlit on an aga machine?!?
Old 13 May 2016, 22:54   #1599
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
So are we saying that it might be worthwhile running without FBlit on an aga machine?!?
I want to know in my case too.
Old 13 May 2016, 23:42   #1600
PeterK

Sorry, I can't give you a rule whether to install FBlit or not. It depends on the system and your needs.

FBlit can save ChipMem and may speed icon loading up or it does not. But FBlit is not only dealing with bitmaps of icons, picture viewers or other tools may use it too. Make your own decision ...