yeah ! i will maybe got time to finish this Great Game

Thx 4 all !

definitely the best Amiga Emulator i've tryed under Linux
Old 13 March 2012, 20:36   #302
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
I would love to, but this couldn't possible work without some button/axis/hat mappings under [default] (part of file missing?)
mp_8866_dual_usb_joypad.ini work like this. no mapping just :

[device]
name = wisegroup_ltd_mp_8866_dual_usb_joypad
type = joystick/gamepad

[default]
include = wisegroup_ltd/tigergame_ps_ps2_game_controller_adapter

and it's working well

so mad_catz_wired_xbox_360_controller_sfiv seems to don't need mapping and works well too

tryed with or without buttons mapping for both joystick and nothing change...

edit : the only things, is not all the buttons are recognised... waiting to full emulate CD32 buttons

Last edited by Foul; 13 March 2012 at 20:48.
Old 13 March 2012, 20:51   #303
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
mp_8866_dual_usb_joypad.ini work like this. no mapping just :

[device]
name = wisegroup_ltd_mp_8866_dual_usb_joypad
type = joystick/gamepad

[default]
include = wisegroup_ltd/tigergame_ps_ps2_game_controller_adapter

and it's working well

so mad_catz_wired_xbox_360_controller_sfiv seems to don't need mapping and works well too

tryed with or without buttons mapping for both joystick and change nothing...

edit : the only things, is not all the buttons are recognised... waiting to full emulate CD32 buttons
Yes, but the "include = common/gamepad" is special: it configures amiga and amigac32 based on "universal" event names (http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/custom...-configuration), but requires that names such as "south_button" etc is defined when common/gamepad is included.

wisegroup_ltd_mp_8866_dual_usb_joypad can simply include tigergame_ps_ps2_game_controller_adapter because tigergame_ps_ps2_game_controller_adapter has defined button/axis mapping.

The reason the Mad Catz controller works could be because it identifies itself as an Microsoft Xbox-controller, and therefore uses that configuration file? (The log file will reveal the answer).
Old 13 March 2012, 21:01   #304
Foul

Just retested and without button mapping no longer works

so i copied the x_box_360_pad.ini button mapping in it and now it's ok

i'm using http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/joytest_CP under Workbench to test all buttons/joy/mapping
config/logs attached
Attached Files
File Type: txt Default.fs-uae.txt (690 Bytes, 117 views)
File Type: txt FS-UAE.log.txt (41.7 KB, 110 views)
Old 14 March 2012, 00:37   #305
LePiaf

Just discovered this emulator - great idea and great work ! Do you need help with coding or something else?

cheers,
LePiaf
Old 14 March 2012, 08:37   #306
Foul

like i said in another forum, i must stop playing with fs-uae :

Yesterday, i was watching some Amiga demos on youtube, and i pressed F12 to quit at the end...

Old 14 March 2012, 23:51   #307
wilshy

Quote:
Yesterday, i was watching some Amiga demos on youtube, and i pressed F12 to quit at the end...

Haha.

Go visit the real world
Old 15 March 2012, 11:43   #308
browniesrgut

Hey Frode !

Thanks for your work, I've spent many hours (re)playing with my favorite good old games. But I was thinking, what about a(beautifully integrated to the interface) file brower that would let you choose the (hard-)disk file, like that :

F12 -> DFx -> Beautifully integrated to the interface list of files instead of floppy_image_x setting in conf file.

Whad'ya think ? is it possible ?

Love and kisses
Old 15 March 2012, 12:56   #309
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Just retested and without button mapping no longer works
so i copied the x_box_360_pad.ini button mapping in it and now it's ok
i'm using http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/joytest_CP under Workbench to test all buttons/joy/mapping
config/logs attached
Good, I'll bundle a mad catz config in the next version!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePiaf View Post
Just discovered this emulator - great idea and great work ! Do you need help with coding or something else?
cheers,
LePiaf
I have received several offers of help (thank you everyone!). The help that is most useful to me know is just having people test the emulator and reports problems. Especially when new versions are released (test new functions, test stuff that is supposedly fixed, etc, and report if stuff that worked earlier is broken). I currently feel coding help will not be that helpful, since I would probably spend more time coordinating that help than doing it myself ;-) -at least at this stage.

(But perhaps I should create a email list or something where I could register people willing to help? So help is easy at hand when I need it?)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniesrgut View Post
(...) But I was thinking, what about a(beautifully integrated to the interface) file brower that would let you choose the (hard-)disk file, like that :

F12 -> DFx -> Beautifully integrated to the interface list of files instead of floppy_image_x setting in conf file.
You are not the first to request this, and I have answered it earlier. I am not against this function on principle, but I think this function should be based on an actual need, and therefore we also need to discuss what it is supposed to achieve. I see several possible needs this function could fullfil:
  1. Swapping floppes during the game (this is what floppy_image_x is designed for, not changing games)
  2. Changing game on your desktop/laptop computer -by changing floppies and using reset, or to start a game "quickly" bo booting a diskless config and then inserting disks for the game you want to play.
  3. Changing game on a HTPC -by changing floppies and using reset, all using a gamepad from a distance.

I don't now what you want to achieve, but assuming it is 2 or 3, yes, a disk browser could help with both these points -but some games also need other configuration options, so it is not a complete solution.

For point 2, I think the need is better fulfilled by a launcher application with a traditional GUI, since you would also be able to change config etc (and I have no plans to embed a full configuration UI à la WinUAE into FS-UAE - I only plan UI for changes that *need* to be done after starting the emulation).

For point 3, I think it would be better to put work into a nice fullscreen game browser (controllable with a gamepad, just like FS-UAE) -something like this: http://fengestad.no/fs-game-center/screenshot.png (this is an actual screenshot from my own unreleased frontend, not a mockup).

Comments?
Old 15 March 2012, 14:56   #310
Ravenlord

Guess his basic message is... Make FS-UAE more user friendly. Something which us dummies and newbies will also understand. Some sort of GUI thingy would be great. Right now many of us still don't understand where to put which file and what do we have to create. Kickstart Roms/Bios, ADF. scan, how to run WHDLoad files, CD32, Controller setup, Keyboard key configuration, Chipset changes (OCS, ECS, AGA)... All that good stuff. Nothing has to be pre-configured. Just more clearer/visible.

Old 15 March 2012, 16:46   #311
browniesrgut

Hey Frode,

Your screenshot is lovely, is this something secretly cooking in your hoven right now ?

In fact, your launcher idea is great ? It reminds me of that : [ Show youtube player ]

Like Ravenlors said, user-friendlyness can be nice sometimes.
Old 15 March 2012, 23:41   #312
LePiaf

Quote:
I have received several offers of help (thank you everyone!). The help that is most useful to me know is just having people test the emulator and reports problems. Especially when new versions are released (test new functions, test stuff that is supposedly fixed, etc, and report if stuff that worked earlier is broken). I currently feel coding help will not be that helpful, since I would probably spend more time coordinating that help than doing it myself ;-) -at least at this stage.

(But perhaps I should create a email list or something where I could register people willing to help? So help is easy at hand when I need it?)
No prob man, just yell when you get tired of grinding and want to become boss

Quote:
For point 3, I think it would be better to put work into a nice fullscreen game browser (controllable with a gamepad, just like FS-UAE) -something like this: http://fengestad.no/fs-game-center/screenshot.png (this is an actual screenshot from my own unreleased frontend, not a mockup).

Comments?
Good lookin', maybe it can be in some point be integrated with hol or lemon game databases, to have some funky meta info about games in collection

LePiaf
Old 16 March 2012, 22:45   #313
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
Guess his basic message is... Make FS-UAE more user friendly. Something which us dummies and newbies will also understand. Some sort of GUI thingy would be great. Right now many of us still don't understand where to put which file and what do we have to create. Kickstart Roms/Bios, ADF. scan, how to run WHDLoad files, CD32, Controller setup, Keyboard key configuration, Chipset changes (OCS, ECS, AGA)... All that good stuff. Nothing has to be pre-configured. Just more clearer/visible.
Sure, but this is not necessarily something FS-UAE itself needs to have -a separate launcher could make it quick and easy for beginners to set up FS-UAE. There are already a couple of third-party configuration / launcher programs available:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=63400
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gfsuae/

Also, better documentation / howtos (a beginner's guide to FS-UAE) would of course help a lot.

Quote:
Hey Frode,
Your screenshot is lovely, is this something secretly cooking in your hoven right now ?
In fact, your launcher idea is great ? It reminds me of that : [ Show youtube player ]
Yes, it is more or less done -Which means that it is working for me, but will require documentation and cleanup before a public release.

Quote:
Like Ravenlors said, user-friendlyness can be nice sometimes.
Yes, but user-friendly can mean many things (and should not be confused with pretty ) -This game browser won't necessarily make FS-UAE easier to use for beginners (it is not a configuration frontend) -but it will make it easier (and nicer) to browse your game collection once you have everything set up correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePiaf View Post
(...)
Good lookin', maybe it can be in some point be integrated with hol or lemon game databases, to have some funky meta info about games in collection
LePiaf
There does not seem to be a suitable open database with metadata and screenshots/covers of good enough quality, designed to be remotely accessed by programs. For instance, HOL has a limit on accesses per day, and LemonAmiga does not include covers. So I have created my own database with 100+ entries currently, but for game entries, I have added links to HOL and LemonAmiga entries so information can be cross-referenced.

Anyway, regarding FS-UAE, user-friendlyness, configuration, game browsing etc:

I think three different programs together should fulfill the important usage scenarios:

FS-UAE
This program focuses on emulation features, and UI which needs to present while a game is running. This includes floppy swapping and save states (But it could also include non-emulation features like an on-screen manual reader, so you can toggle between the game manual and game with the press of a button).

A Launcher / configuration program
This program will make FS-UAE easier to use for those not comfortable writing config files and reading documentation regarding configuration. This launcher can let the user select Amiga model/kickstart, configure floppies, set up HDs, etc. When the user chooses to start the emulation, FS-UAE is launched to take it from there.

It could also include a feature to let the user configure connected gamepads with a visual mapping tool. Even further,such a program could include a net play feature with a lobby and game chat, and could ensure that the configuration for all players is compatible before staring FS-UAE.

As noted earlier, there are already a couple of third-party launchers available.

Game Browser
This program would be designed to let the user browse his game collection (as in the screenshot at http://fengestad.no/fs-game-center/screenshot.png). If could download covers / game information from the Internet automatically, based on game name, or the user could supply this himself. Game configuration could possibly be read from configuration files created manually, or created by the configuration program, or even automatically created based on information from a centralized game database.

I think having these features separated into 3 programs is more of a strength than a weakness. It would make FS-UAE itself more focused on necessary features, and would allow the user to choose whether to additionally have a launcher or game browser -or both.

Launchers / game browsers can be created by me, or by third-parties without involving me, which means that I do not necessarily have to be a bottleneck, and it could mean that the user in the future will have a choice between several launchers and/or game browsers depending on taste and requirements.

In the meantime:
Version 0.9.13beta3 (http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/download-beta):
* Change in OpenGL renderer for Linux, making it work better with vsync on recent Linux systems with recent nVIDIA drivers.
* File system mounting made more compatible with net play (some issues with normal folders remaining, zip file mounting seems stable in net play).
* Fixed issue where (mounted) file system access slowed emulation.
* Fixed crash when referring to a non-existing disk file.
* Fixed crash when saving state wile using hardfiles (hdf).
* Reordered input menu items.
* Added Mad Catz Wired Xbox 360 Controller config.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 17 March 2012 at 00:39.
Old 17 March 2012, 02:46   #314
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
FS, any plans for an Amiga OS4.1 version?
Old 18 March 2012, 01:37   #315
browniesrgut

Quote:
I think having these features separated into 3 programs is more of a strength than a weakness. It would make FS-UAE itself more focused on necessary features, and would allow the user to choose whether to additionally have a launcher or game browser -or both.

Launchers / game browsers can be created by me, or by third-parties without involving me, which means that I do not necessarily have to be a bottleneck, and it could mean that the user in the future will have a choice between several launchers and/or game browsers depending on taste and requirements.
I think you're right. I don't have any coding skills, but if you need any help for testing or bug reporting or translations (I can do a french locale if you ever need so ) you can count on me.

Thanks for your answer and thank you for FS-UAE.
Old 18 March 2012, 17:30   #316
Speedvicio

There are some problems with the latest beta version:

- The exit key from the emulator does not work sometimes
- Folders HD are mounted correctly, but are not recognized as slave
- The hard disk and floppy with no path (or "null" path) , are mounted by the emulator (in the stable release this problem does not occur)

A little tip, you may implement a keyboard shortcut to switch from window mode to fullscreen mode.

Sorry for bad explanation.
Old 18 March 2012, 18:18   #317
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
FS, any plans for an Amiga OS4.1 version?
Sorry, no

Quote:
I think you're right. I don't have any coding skills, but if you need any help for testing or bug reporting or translations (I can do a french locale if you ever need so ) you can count on me.
Thanks for your answer and thank you for FS-UAE.
I have a prototype launcher with net play support, and if I get it out of the door at one point, it should probably be localized, and I'll let you do the French

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedvicio View Post
There are some problems with the latest beta version:

- The exit key from the emulator does not work sometimes
What OS are you using? When this happens, has the emulation freezed?

Quote:
- Folders HD are mounted correctly, but are not recognized as slave
Could you explain more so I understand the problem?

Quote:
- The hard disk and floppy with no path (or "null" path) , are mounted by the emulator (in the stable release this problem does not occur)
I have verified the problem. -Will be fixed

Quote:
A little tip, you may implement a keyboard shortcut to switch from window mode to fullscreen mode.
it is almost done!
Old 18 March 2012, 18:52   #318
Speedvicio

I'll try to explain better.

I'm on linux (kubuntu), the emulator freeze , the menu gui work (F12) , but the command inside the GUI emu don't work.

For the problem of second mounted hd, i do not know how to explain it better, but i set at startup on amiga os 3.1 a folder with WHD games as a slave hard disk.
In theory the os recognizes it only when i browse through the physical path but not the WHD loader (appear a slave error).
This problem occurs only with the latest beta, stable version of your emulator behaves properly.
Old 18 March 2012, 19:20   #319
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
I'll try to explain better.

I'm on linux (kubuntu), the emulator freeze , the menu gui work (F12) , but the command inside the GUI emu don't work.
Good -- this is a known problem. In a future version, FS-UAE will force-close if the emulator does not shut down cleanly.

Quote:
For the problem of second mounted hd, i do not know how to explain it better, but i set at startup on amiga os 3.1 a folder with WHD games as a slave hard disk.
In theory the os recognizes it only when i browse through the physical path but not the WHD loader (appear a slave error).
This problem occurs only with the latest beta, stable version of your emulator behaves properly.
I have made several other changes to the filesys handler in the latest betas (in order to make it compatible across OSes, with net play, etc). It will be easier to fix if I can reproduce the problem.

* What WHDLoad game are you trying to start?

* Perhaps you could run the command
Code:
find . > files.txt
from the slave disk folder, and send me the file list?

* Also, with the latest version I'm going to post, you can set an environment variable before running FS-UAE to get (lots of) file system debug info in the log
Code:
export FS_DEBUG_FILESYS=1
fs-uae ...
If I get the file list, and the log file (and info about the game you are trying to start, please also send the startup script if you can), then I'll fix it

(just wait a few minutes for 0.9.13beta5 first)
Old 18 March 2012, 19:31   #320
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Changes since version 0.9.13beta3:
* Fix to not try to resolve empty paths.
* Fix mouse configuration for new input menu system.
* New options: window_width, window_height, window_resizable.
* File system mounting is compatible with net play.
* Show title / subtitle strings in window title.
* Clear keyboard modifier state when window is activated / receives focus.

Version 0.9.13beta5: http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/download-beta