English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 24 October 2018, 17:55   #21
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I swear that there was a very recent thread asking similar but damned if I can find it now...
Ah, found it... threads merged
Old 25 October 2018, 17:12   #22
Anubis
Retro Gamer

UFO - There was story book in there
Wing Commander - manuals and story book
Settlers - nice manual, hated protection in manual
All Sid Meier's game had nice well done manuals, well illustrated
Old 25 October 2018, 21:07   #23
Cherno

Honorable mention goes out to Hired Guns with it's three manuals, well actually only one was a manual as the other two were background info about the universe and a short story leading into the game.
Old 26 October 2018, 09:33   #24
Hewitson

A good cracktro is always better than any documentation.
Old 26 October 2018, 15:54   #25
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The Psygnosis boxes were always very impressive, with their slick inner black boxes. I think though, for me, the feel of a heavy box was something special, because a hefty manual was a good sign. Birds of Prey and Railroad Tycoon both did that for me, pretty sure Civilization had a satisfying weight to it too. Probably not the most impressive boxes, but the whole package was always something I appreciated.
I remeber buying games at that times just because the box was heavy.

Seriously. Sometimes I was shaking the box and when it was obvious that there was only 1 or 2 disks and a little manual, I preferred to wait for a cracked version.
Old 26 October 2018, 21:37   #26
ExiE

Loom with audio tape containing the backstory of Loom, illustrated notebook and the Book of Patterns....
Old 29 October 2018, 20:39   #27
Fiery Phoenix

Did the Amiga version of Leather Goddess of Phobos come with the scratch n sniff stickers? I think the other versions did

I think in the end the Psygnosis boxes were just too damn big, I remember Red Zone was huge and it had no t-shirt so no excuse!

My Street Fighter 2 also came with a Blanca badge (pin)

Just checked my box of Suspicious Cargo - yep you get an intergalatic ID card, a sticking plaster and a sticker saying '1 x Jonah Hayes Identity Kit - handle with Car'

It appears this was for a compo - you stick these on, took a photo and sent it to Gremlin
Old 29 October 2018, 20:40   #28
Fiery Phoenix

Forgot - Vixen. Great poster!
Old 29 October 2018, 23:06   #29
Mikerochip

For me it was either
Flight of the Intruder: Which came with it's huge manuals (I think 2 manuals. One on how to fly and different types of bombing etc, and one instruction manual), map and novel, which was really a nice surprise, because it was only £10, and I thought I was getting a budget game!

Magic Pockets: Because I loved the giant manual which was a massive fold out sheet
or
Jimmy Whites Whirlwind Snooker: Which had not just a huge 200 odd page manual, a massive sheet with all the keyboard shortcuts, but another manual that was the history of snooker! I never liked snooker at all before this. My friend bought the game, and it surprised me and changed my mind a lot about the sport.
(Much like Grand Turismo 4 I think on the PS3, which came with a full how to drive manual, which was also a history of driving of sorts! - Slightly off topic )

Or maybe: Elvira II: Mostly because it came as 7 or 8 disks or so, and was the largest game I'd ever bought up to then. I think it came with a flyer for Elvira 1 and a poster, along with the manual and code wheel. And a registration card. I really liked games that came with registration cards.

Oh, and I second TMNT: The temporary transfer sheet that came with it was used on all my school books. Except the very last one, which I put on the disk itself, which seemed like a great idea at the time...
Old 12 June 2020, 19:02   #30
Berethrof

All the Infocom games;
The MicroProse games. Always loved all the historical/military info they included, and for some reason I had a real obsession with keyboard overlays and using them;
Always loved the SSI Gold Box games for their manuals and adventurer journals.
Old 17 June 2020, 15:38   #31
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I liked the character cards that came with The Chaos Engine. Not a massive fan of the box design though. Just the characters on the front. I think another Bisley illustration would have been amazing.