English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 24 May 2019, 11:16   #301
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbpete View Post
There's a weird thing I have with my GPU and beam-racing (I believe DamienD has the same issue - and GPU!) - Despite *everything* set to PAL (and living in a PAL country), turning on V-Sync or beam racing makes WinUAE run at 60fps (though not solidly, it randomly flickers between around 55-65). Presumably it's due the laptop monitor being locked at 60Hz - unfortunately it's not changeable even when digging deep in GPU and monitor settings.
Yup, I have the same "Nvidia GeForce GT 540M" card in my Acer laptop.

I'm also unable to get beam racing or any of guest.r's shaders working well
Old 24 May 2019, 15:20   #302
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Presumably it's due the laptop monitor being locked at 60Hz.

Yes, a real 50Hz or 100Hz (with black frame insertion in WinUAE) capable monitor is mandatory for 100% smooth PAL games. There is no way around.
Old 26 May 2019, 10:52   #303
Dr.Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Looks like it sort of works if there is no filter set when it triggers. Even if it worked, it isn't that useful because it always puts the filter in first empty slot..

Better design is needed..
Sounds good enough for me, at least you see a possibility for it! . Do you think that seamless switching between shaders will be possible (i.e. no audio interruption upon switch)?

@guest.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest.r View Post
It's a whole different horizontal/vertical algorithm, "hires" version only works better on interlaced screens and, in theory, on small details with productivity screens.
If we would have realtime switching possibilities of the shader between progressive and interlaced modes, is the current "hires" version than optimal already, or would you treat it differently when knowing it will only be used for interlaced screens?

Quote:
Last but not least, new version of the pack is here:
- custom _winuae.fx added with some description,
- crt-shifty(2) added,
- some small tweaks like gammaOUT...
Nice . I noticed you've added the "light" version of the custom _winuae.fx. Looks pretty nice though and is quite a bit faster. I'm using it with the "phosphor.png", the best one I think.

Maybe it's an idea to include both the light and the "heavy" customized _winuae.fx in the pack and also add your three custom masks also? Just so that we have all your marvellous shader work for WinUAE complete in one pack. Most lazy users don't go through 300+ posts to find the good stuff

The shifty shaders are interesting, only I get a bit crosseyed after looking at them for too long. It looks a bit like content from the past for which you needed the cardboard "3D glasses", remember, the one with the two colored glasses, like these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Handcart.../dp/B01CUIXHVS

Come to think of it, would it actually be a possibility to create an Anaglyph3D shader? Maybe the "stereo conversion" part from the Wiki below could work? I guess not having any depth information, will probably result in quite fake 3D..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaglyph_3D
Old 27 May 2019, 12:14   #304
Shaytan

What settings and shader/mask combination would you recommend for a 1440 x 900 screen resolution maintaining the correct amiga aspect ratio?
Old 27 May 2019, 23:35   #305
guest.r

@Dr. Venom:
Quote:
If we would have realtime switching possibilities of the shader between progressive and interlaced modes, is the current "hires" version than optimal already, or would you treat it differently when knowing it will only be used for interlaced screens?
If this would be done smartly, i would turn off the shader for interlaced screens. Best solution IMO. But they are frigging rare to weatch lol.

Quote:
Maybe it's an idea to include both the light and the "heavy" customized _winuae.fx in the pack and also add your three custom masks also? Just so that we have all your marvellous shader work for WinUAE complete in one pack. Most lazy users don't go through 300+ posts to find the good stuff
Yeah, probably in the next version of the shaderpack, i'm picking up ideas currently what to add more, not much compatible&interesting shaders left TBH.

Quote:
Come to think of it, would it actually be a possibility to create an Anaglyph3D shader? Maybe the "stereo conversion" part from the Wiki below could work? I guess not having any depth information, will probably result in quite fake 3D..
It would be a quite a waste of anyones time to do such stuff for 2D systems.

@Shaytan:
Quote:
What settings and shader/mask combination would you recommend for a 1440 x 900 screen resolution maintaining the correct amiga aspect ratio?
Some exploration is required, the shaders are "smartres" up from 4.2, so it doesn't matter if you are using hi-res or lo-res etc. It can be also a bit game specific, i like a smoothing shader to play a round of Chaos Engine/Golden Axe/Turrican, but like something different (=CRT) for most of other games. I also like to mention that mask look a bit less heavy with the alternate _winuae.fx in D3D9 mode.
Old 28 May 2019, 02:05   #306
Dr.Venom

Quote:
If this would be done smartly, i would turn off the shader for interlaced screens. Best solution IMO. But they are frigging rare to weatch lol.
For games maybe, but not so when you're into the demoscene . Especially for AGA there's a lot of static interlaced art mixed into demos. For me both the demoscene and those high-res laced pixel art images are a substantial part of the Amiga legacy, and mainly why I'm after an authentic experience re lace / non-lace switching with CRT shader active..

Maybe turning it off will turn out best, but I guess with fields interlace simulation enabled it may still be nice to have a realistic Trinitron mask applied when interlace is active.

Hopefully Toni can come up with a way to make runtime switching between the two states possible, that way it'll be most easy to tell what will work best.
Old 08 June 2019, 21:30   #307
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I did some HDR tests: It seems to be as simple as making sure all target textures are >8bit per component, for example DXGI_FORMAT_R16G16B16A16_FLOAT. If backbuffer also is >8bit, HDR mode gets enabled automatically. Source textures do not seem to need any changes.

Range of RGB values change, 0.0 is now minimum HDR brightness (darker than normal SDR minimum), 1.0 is darker (only emulation window was darker than in SDR mode, all Windows UI elements looked normal), about 2 or so matched original max brightness and higher values are brighter than max SDR brightness (instead of clipping). It is possible this range can be modified but documentation is lacking..

Oddly enough it only worked in windowed mode. In fullscreen mode 1 equaled normal SDR max brightness. Probably something wrong in setup code.

So basically only range of RGB values change and everything else seems to work like before. Which is quite nice.

DXGI 1.6 required which was introduced in Windows 10 Creators Update.
Old 10 June 2019, 21:01   #308
guest.r

Thanks Toni, that sounds promising indeed.

I've been thinking about immediate benefits of HDR support and there are some situations with current WinUAE shaders where it can make a positive difference.

First is glow can look more realistic, then the brightboost value shouldn't "destroy" color information and last but most important, PNG masks should look much better (in combination with an increased brightboos value) since the highest multiplier is 1.0 and aperture masks tend to make the image quite darker. Previously increased brightboost compensation produced wrong colors in brighter spectrum.

I'll be on the look for other benefits of HDR for retro shading, let's see what will happen...
Old 11 June 2019, 20:40   #309
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yeah, HDR will allow increasing brightness even if SDR source color component is already at max (255) and it also have much more darker shades too. So in other words, colors can be darkened or brightened a lot without dark or bright shades getting "compressed".

Hmm.. I guess I should make brightness/contrast/etc adjustments shader based (at least when in HDR mode)..

HDR color space used is called scRGB where 0.0 to 1.0 matches SDR 0.0 to 1.0 (0 to 255 in 8-bit integer) but it also increases the range to both negative and positive direction. About -0.5 to 7.x.

So in my tests full window/fullscreen modes worked correctly and windowed mode had odd half brightness side-effect where source 1.0 didn't map to target 1.0 but something like 0.6 or so. For some unknown reason.

Note that I still don't have HDR monitor. I bought cheap 43" 4K LG for testing and Amiga connection purposes (via OSSC) which isn't really doing proper HDR but at least it tries.. Anything larger would have been too big. (I have better HDR capable TV but isn't in good enough location for quick and easy PC testing)
Old 18 July 2019, 21:47   #310
Leandro Jardim

@guest.r:
Why no SmartRes version of the Lottes shader? It is pretty and looks good with the lottes mask you provided! It's a bit slow, I confess, but could it be optimized a bit?

Anyway, thanks for the excellent shader pack you did. Thanks beforehand, even if it is not possible create an optimized version of the Lottes shader yet.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 18 July 2019 at 22:10.
Old 20 July 2019, 17:06   #311
guest.r

Yeah, why not. Here is SmartRes version of CRT Lottes, will only work in new version of WinUAE though.
You can also try GTU or CRT Arcade for better speed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CRT-Lottes-SmartRes.zip (2.3 KB, 231 views)
Old 21 July 2019, 04:36   #312
Leandro Jardim

Thank you, it's working better than before! It will be one of my preferred shaders along with the Trinitron family.

But... It don't work well with hires screens as the Workbench one. Most of the time I start WinUAE in Workbench mode, then after I load the games that run in the lowres modes.

Without wanting to abuse you, but just asking since you seems to like to help the folks here at EAB (thanks!), is there any chance that you code a HiRes-SmartRes version of it, please?

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 22 July 2019 at 12:41.
Old 24 July 2019, 18:02   #313
guest.r

Hey, NP. One way around would be to use the lo-res version with resolution autoswitch, since Hi-Res SmartRes version would look very sharp in all cases, not very crt-lottes like.
But i haven't tested this yet...

Shaders can't detect the difference between games and productivity, so i'm a bit helpless in general.
Old 25 July 2019, 02:45   #314
Leandro Jardim

Thank you very much! I will try it the lores version then, if a new shader will not get much better than that.

Thanks NP, for not getting angry with my request.
Old 26 July 2019, 21:29   #315
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Hey, NP. One way around would be to use the lo-res version with resolution autoswitch, since Hi-Res SmartRes version would look very sharp in all cases, not very crt-lottes like.
But i haven't tested this yet...

Shaders can't detect the difference between games and productivity, so i'm a bit helpless in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
Thank you very much! I will try it the lores version then, if a new shader will not get much better than that.

Thanks NP, for not getting angry with my request.
My sorry guest.r! NP means do you would like a donation! Yes, your help you give to WinUAE users with shaders, which today are an indispensable thing, deserve it. But don't take me wrong, but now I can't donate for you. But I promise I won't make requests of shaders anymore, if I could not donate to you.

I hope everything is clear now.

Bye.
Old 28 July 2019, 03:19   #316
JBW

Thx for the work on these filters just what iv been trying to get for many years in uae.
Old 28 July 2019, 22:14   #317
Snake79

Excellent work!
PS. my favourites are: CRT-Hyllian-Hi-res and CRT-Trinitron-Hires-Smartres, both mixed with crt-mask-6.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thanks.png
Views:	303
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	63933  
Old 29 November 2019, 03:10   #318
badflame

Thanks a lot for all these shaders
Old 28 December 2019, 14:07   #319
guest.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
My sorry guest.r! NP means do you would like a donation! Bye.
It's enough if you like the shader(s). But you could solve a NP problem and give me credit, would be great.

Also thanks for the nice feedback everyone.

Joke aside, i was busy recently with a new shader and the WinUAE version can use it's nice scanlines and filtering. Should also works OK with the provided PNG masks. It has plenty of options to customize it, but the shader file muct be edited. You can use something like Notepad++ .
Attached Files
File Type: zip CRT-Guest-SM-SmartRes.zip (2.4 KB, 124 views)
Old 28 December 2019, 18:00   #320
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Looks nice, but is it LoRes only? Because in WinUAE HiRes/Line Mode Double it doesn't look right with mixed resolutions.

CRT-Guest-SM-SmartRes

CRT-Guest-Hires-SmartRes