English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 06 August 2019, 09:00   #1
buzzybee

Debug console / importing labels?

Hi guys!

I love the builtin console debugger of FS UAE, only wish I could somehow use symbols when disassembling, searching memory etc. Does anyone know a way to import and use symbols from a VASM-compiled source?

Cheers, Richard
Old 06 August 2019, 09:48   #2
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

I use this with visual studio code and VASM. Can be tricky to setup with to start with (download the helper starter pack). But when it’s working you can run stuff, stop at breakpoints defined in the source code and single step etc. Proper source level debugging.
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com...amiga-assembly

You don’t have to use the compiling directly from visual studio code. I use a batch/make file to compile all my source files and link them. Then I run the debugger from inside visual studio code to run the exe in a mini fs uae session. As long as you’ve built with the VASM linedebug option then it can work out the symbols.

It uses an extended version of fs uae that is supplied which has the magic to make remote debugging work.
Old 06 August 2019, 10:02   #3
buzzybee

@Antiriad: I´ve already setup a complete devkit which runs very smooth, comparable to your setup with external call to VASM etc. It´s based on Xcode rather than Visual Studio though, and I´d very much love to keep it this way.

Wonder how I could get hold of the Mac-version of the modified FS UAE you mention ... that might be it!
Old 06 August 2019, 10:34   #4
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

The modified fs-uae is in one of the bin-osx/bin-windows files here https://github.com/prb28/vscode-amiga-assembly/releases

But I've no idea what magic the author of the visual studio code extension had to do to enable it to talk to fs uae so don't see it working with xcode easily.
Old 21 August 2019, 12:31   #5
prb28

The vscode extension communicates with fs-uae using a socket and gdb remote protocol.
As said @Antiriad_UK the symbols are in the binary with the linedebug (or some other) option (open the file in hex and you will see them in ascii).
The extension parses the binary to find all the symbols, so nothing to do with fs-uae.

But there are some options in FS-UAE console that may do what you are looking for:
https://github.com/FrodeSolheim/fs-u...debug.cpp#L241
I don't know if the build of fs-uae is done with WITH_SEGTRACKER define but you can test in by calling the help in the console debugger.

There are a lot of improvements for the console debugger in winuae but I've not tried them.

Hope this helps.