English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 07 November 2001, 06:36   #1
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Something easier to digest.

Came across this board searching for Amiga sites on Google. Looks promising. I am not "new" to the Amiga scene, but it's been at least 7 years since I've used an Amiga. My interestes then and now have always been 3D rendering and animation. Never having owned anything better than a 2500 with 030/40 with 2.04OS I started to look toward the PC only when software such as Imagine then Lightwave were ported over to the Wintel platform. I enjoyed the platform a lot, but the CPU options were simply inadequate for rendering. But now looking at Ebay here in the states the prices of a 4000 are so inexpensive I picked one up for a little over 300 US dollars with a Picasso II.
So I have some basic questions. Perhaps this may not even be the correct forum, but here goes.

I do want to use a Commodore monitor with the 4000. What options do I have? I know I can use the Picasso because of the retargetable graphics, but how will it handle native modes?

I have cablemodem and a router. Currently my PC and Mac are connected and would like to connect the 4000 as well, any recommendations for ethernet cards?

What benefits will I get from running OS 3.9?

Also, where are the best sites for actual Amiga code samples. I never coded for the Amiga, but do know C++, some OpenGL and DirectX stuff too. And I'm just curious to see what exactly it took to create some of these demos. My main reason for buying the 4000 is for collecting demos, anims and things of that nature.

If anyone is interested in seeing some old Amiga art I rendered please visit my homepage.
Thank you all for your time and patience.
Old 07 November 2001, 06:49   #2
Amigaboy

Hey. Welcome aboard dude.

Quote:
I do want to use a Commodore monitor with the 4000. What options do I have? I know I can use the Picasso because of the retargetable graphics, but how will it handle native modes?
I've never owned a graphics card for my Amiga, so I can't speak from experience. If you do run into problems with the native screenmodes (at least, with programs that use workbench), you can get a program called ModePro which may help out.....Maybe

Quote:
I have cablemodem and a router. Currently my PC and Mac are connected and would like to connect the 4000 as well, any recommendations for ethernet cards?
No idea about ethernet cards, but I can say that it's very easy to get your Amiga using your cable modem and router

Quote:
What benefits will I get from running OS 3.9?
OS3.5 and OS3.9 are just OS3.0/3.1 with minor enhancements which will make your life easier. You can get a feature list from http://www.amiga.com/3.9/features-e.shtml

Quote:
Also, where are the best sites for actual Amiga code samples. I never coded for the Amiga, but do know C++, some OpenGL and DirectX stuff too. And I'm just curious to see what exactly it took to create some of these demos. My main reason for buying the 4000 is for collecting demos, anims and things of that nature.
The best site I can recommend right now is Aminet as it has everything. This is a link directly to the "Development Software" folder

Hope that helps ya out.

Old 07 November 2001, 06:53   #3
Amigaboy

btw - I just checked out your site and it's very nice. I love it's OsX layout and look (Looks like you'd get along fine with Frederic )

Some very nice renders too

Old 07 November 2001, 07:25   #4
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

A New Yorker get along with a New Jersey guy, Amigaboy? Yeah right:kill
Old 07 November 2001, 07:29   #5
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Now that I have Win XP on my office comps, and soon on my PC home, and OS X on my iBook, I am one of the few who can hands on compare.
There is none. Mac OS X shits poop all over Windoze XP. Its much more gorgeous. But, to be fair, in many ways, XP is an improvement over previous Windoze.
Old 07 November 2001, 07:33   #6
Amigaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
A New Yorker get along with a New Jersey guy, Amigaboy? Yeah right:kill
But you're both from places that start with 'New'. You already have something in common

Old 07 November 2001, 08:28   #7
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Thanks for the replys. I need to do some research for the video options on the A4000, since I do not want to deal with the flickering screens. Thanks for the AmiNet link. Don't suppose someone sells these CD-ROMs as a set anywhere do they? That would be a nice collection to have.
I just upgraded to WinXP Pro myself and it is a definite improvement over the previous Windows GUIs. I don't understand the color scheme though. I hope it's as stable as Windows 2000 Pro has been for me. OS X on my PowerMac is very nice. I even fooled with the Developer Tools and the Cocoa APIs. It is a very stable platform. I may even look into upgrading to an 867Mhz this christmas.
Old 07 November 2001, 08:32   #8
Amigaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar Castillo
Don't suppose someone sells these CD-ROMs as a set anywhere do they? That would be a nice collection to have.
http://www.schatztruhe.de/

That's a link to the guys that produce the CDs full of Aminet goodies.

But these CDs have become so popular they're available worldwide. Just do a quick search at Google

Old 07 November 2001, 08:32   #9
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

G4 867 MHZ ...DROOL........................