English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: Do you like or dislike Cloanto?
Dislike 72 48.00%
Like 78 52.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 March 2019, 22:48   #21
-Acid-

This poll serves no use whatsoever.
Old 12 March 2019, 22:52   #22
jurassicman

I bought once (in 2010 I think) Amiga Forever and even I don't (can't) use it since I am a Linux user I think that their program is a good thing because it helps people without computer knowledge to play, "out of the box", the games they loved in their youth.
As for me I don't even use e-uae or fs-uae but buying Amiga Forever I legally own all the ROMs I could ever need for my real Amiga.

Update:
Having bought Amiga Forever I also own a licensed copy of IDE-fix '97.
Old 12 March 2019, 23:01   #23
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
I bought once (in 2010 I think) Amiga Forever and even I don't (can't) use it since I am a Linux user I think that their program is a good thing because it helps people without computer knowledge to play, "out of the box", the games they loved in their youth.
As for me I don't even use e-uae or fs-uae but buying Amiga Forever I legally own all the ROMs I could ever need for my real Amiga.

Update:
Having bought Amiga Forever I also own a licensed copy of IDE-fix '97.
A little off topic but after purchasing ROMs and Workbench disk via Cloanto, are we able to:

1) Make physical disks of the ADFs since the Amiga 600 manual I had advised to make backups! Negates the need when ADF but I like the physical copy too.

2) Can ROM images be burnt for personal use?
Old 12 March 2019, 23:14   #24
jurassicman

@lesta_smsc
I guess so but to be honest I never burnt any ROMs. I made the WB floppies from the adf, though, but I also own original floppies now
Old 12 March 2019, 23:45   #25

Got to be truthful i have pirate the roms and workbench

But i do own all three desktop machines.so dont know if it could be called pirateing didnt know u could extract roms from owned machines at the time.

Never used the gui i just copy the roms and rom.key to a download winuae folder.

It is possibe to burn and created custom roms guide link below

http://www.mfilos.com/2010/12/guide-...kickstart.html

So i really dont see the point in Cloanto if they give a lifetime license at a higer price i think about but that it but that cause i know i wont need to pay again

Last edited by 512k; 12 March 2019 at 23:54.
Old 12 March 2019, 23:45   #26
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
A little off topic but after purchasing ROMs and Workbench disk via Cloanto, are we able to:

1) Make physical disks of the ADFs since the Amiga 600 manual I had advised to make backups! Negates the need when ADF but I like the physical copy too.

Yes.
https://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-145
Old 13 March 2019, 00:44   #27
UberFreak

I'm still amazed these questions are being asked.

Let me tell you a little secret:
Even if it wasn't "allowed" and you did it anyway, nobody will know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post

Old 13 March 2019, 00:57   #28
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFreak View Post
I'm still amazed these questions are being asked.

Let me tell you a little secret:
Even if it wasn't "allowed" and you did it anyway, nobody will know!
lol

One thing that is interesting, however, is this could be broadened to include accessing ADFs for disks that came with the Amiga as standard (even if you have not got them or lost them) since the Amiga always came with Workbench? Therefore, surely, those with Amigas are at their liberty able to download the disk image for their Amiga variant without any legal repercussions?
Old 13 March 2019, 06:13   #29
hth313

I would say yes, your machine contains a ROM and you got floppy disks with it when you bought it. I would not feel that I was doing anything wrong if I picked up floppies online that once came with the machine, especially since I bought the machine myself once. I already payed for that software license, even if I lost it or the media became unreadable. I even have the machine to prove it.
Old 13 March 2019, 08:42   #30
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Didn't expect to see such a blatant thread TBH. Poor form imho.

But it's here.

I voted "like" whatever that proves.

I'd already used Win-UAE with some Roms provided by "a mate", but for what I saw as a VERY CHEAP price, I purchased the DVD Version of AF for 2 reasons:

1) Legal roms
2) The video footage and history.

To me, it was akin to owning what equates to a hard copy "amiga" in the modern era, for very very cheap.

I tried the AF interface which was AF7 at the time using my instant download code.

I didn't like it. I didn't like the rp9 file format either. Seemed glitchy.

However before my DVD was shipped, they released V8, and alerted me that I could now download V8, and that they'd send me V8 in the mail.

V8 features easy to use onscreen buttons in FULL SCREEN mode, which enables me to switch .ADF files without breaking the feeling of being IN an Amiga.

This swayed me and I now use AF more than UAE.

I dont "need" to use rp9, and I dont. I use ADF within AF.

That's why this is pointless. You can buy LEGAL roms VERY cheap, and no one is forcing you to use a GUI you dont like, if you dont want to.

So move on FFS.

My 2c.

Heck I even brought it twice kind of.....given AF Essentials is "almost free" for the ROMS on Android, I purchased that too. is the ONLY thing I've ever paid for on the play store.

Hell I'm even enjoying the rather complex task of getting a dedicated stand alone KX Light Amiga WB2.x setup running on an old PC I had laying around. Great fun for the nerd in me and it's reignited my passion for hardware and software.

NOw jump on a car forum and open a thread "I hate BMW so much so I stole one, and I stole some more and you can pick one up from my garage" and see how you get on
Old 13 March 2019, 08:57   #31
Hewitson

I have no interest in Amiga Forever and I fail to understand why anyone would purchase it when WinUAE is free to download and the Kickstarts and WB disks are very easily obtainable from the web.

In my personal opinion, anyone who has voted Like, probably doesn't know enough about the situation to make a judgement.
Old 13 March 2019, 09:03   #32
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
In my personal opinion, anyone who has voted Like, probably doesn't know enough about the situation to make a judgement.

Or perhaps they know the facts of whats currently happening?
Old 13 March 2019, 09:08   #33
Hewitson

How could anyone possibly support them after all the disservice they have done the Amiga? We can't even legally download a ROM that's over 30 years old because of these assholes. Like Individual Computers (who will hopefully not be with us for much longer), they couldn't care less about the Amiga or it's community if they tried. All they care about is how much money they can make from it.
Old 13 March 2019, 09:17   #34
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Have you gotten all the facts? I’m not sure you have.
Old 13 March 2019, 09:19   #35
Hewitson

I'm quite sure I have, but if you have any reasons why I should change my mind, please enlighten me.
Old 13 March 2019, 09:27   #36
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
I'm quite sure I have, but if you have any reasons why I should change my mind, please enlighten me.

C-A Acquisitions (sister company of Cloanto) bought up all the remaining Amiga IP rights from Amiga Inc. C-A acquisitions plan for the rights is to open source amigaos and its components under themselves as a non profit. With Amiga Inc gone there’s one less troll gone from the Amiga. Who you should be angry about is Amiga Inc and their poor handling of licenses and property.

The current ongoing Hyperion vs Amiga Inc battle was instigated by Hyperion by basically breaching the agreement they had. During this, Mike Battilana (Cloanto, C-A) bought up the rights from Amiga Inc and basically inherited the court case / ongoing legal battle. And as the owners of rights, you defend them.
Old 13 March 2019, 09:29   #37
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

It is not cloanto’s fault that you have to buy the roms and not get them for free. It’s because of the rights and the licensing Amiga inc gave out years ago
Old 13 March 2019, 09:34   #38
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
C-A Acquisitions (sister company of Cloanto) bought up all the remaining Amiga IP rights from Amiga Inc. C-A acquisitions plan for the rights is to open source amigaos and its components under themselves as a non profit.
I'll believe that when I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_
With Amiga Inc gone there’s one less troll gone from the Amiga. Who you should be angry about is Amiga Inc and their poor handling of licenses and property.
I'm angry with everyone who has owned the rights since Commodore went under. Simply because, they've all done fuck all for the Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_
The current ongoing Hyperion vs Amiga Inc battle was instigated by Hyperion by basically breaching the agreement they had. During this, Mike Battilana (Cloanto, C-A) bought up the rights from Amiga Inc and basically inherited the court case / ongoing legal battle.
I'm fully aware of this. And whilst I'm no huge fan of 3.1.4, do you really respect a company which does everything they can to make sure we never get a new OS? I certainly don't.
Old 13 March 2019, 09:37   #39
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
I'm fully aware of this. And whilst I'm no huge fan of 3.1.4, do you really respect a company which does everything they can to make sure we never get a new OS? I certainly don't.
Who are you referring to? Cloanto? That’s more Amiga Inc’s fault than anyone else tbh.
Old 13 March 2019, 09:39   #40
Hewitson

Cloanto are the ones currently taking action against Hyperion. Not Amiga Inc.