Old 10 April 2018, 17:09   #61
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thanks for your feedback smila
Old 10 April 2018, 17:20   #62
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
I've got one and after switching the tv to game mode i don't notice any lag in sound or vision at all.
Not all people can tell the difference. Mr SID posted this about the sound lag on csdb "Run Deus Ex Machina and enjoy the audio lag..."
Old 11 April 2018, 11:23   #63
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I probably want this thing but I will wait a while if the firmware updates would solve the major issues.
Old 11 April 2018, 11:36   #64
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Not all people can tell the difference. Mr SID posted this about the sound lag on csdb "Run Deus Ex Machina and enjoy the audio lag..."
Yes, it is very subjective whether one will be bothered by it or not but the measurement of 290ms audio lag is not subjective so it cannot be bent in any way and it is clearly too much for me.
Old 11 April 2018, 12:30   #65
Lorfarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
this thing is garbage cant believe 8-bit guy didnt say that ffs if you are gonna redo a old 8-bit computer do it right and use real components or at least a fpga we have enough emulation devices that are better than this thing
Why would they use real components? This is meant to be an easy box to just plug in a TV. Meant for a casual crowd...
Old 11 April 2018, 14:07   #66
smila

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Thanks for your feedback smila
No probs - I'm happy to see some of my mates grabbing these too - seeing as they ain't touched a C64 for 25 years.
Rpi's are great for people who can be arsed to fanny around setting them up, but for most people they'll never touch a Rpi.
Old 18 April 2018, 03:15   #67
ransom1122

Not that I have a c64 mini but this looks interesting..

https://freeze64.com/c64mini-hacks/
Old 19 April 2018, 08:41   #68
RoC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post

Hi Kitty,

Out of curiosity, I can see a white one among the pictures... Was it available or did you "photoshop" it to make it VIC-20ish?
Old 20 June 2018, 10:53   #69
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

As I have just read, the firmware update is out since May 11. They also say they are preparing another new update. What is your experience with the latest version, do you feel any important improvements, C64mini owners?
Old 20 June 2018, 11:14   #70
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

I'm still a bit weary about these "mini" things of late. Are they any good? I've seen the SNES mini for sale in shops around here but the fact that it does NOT read SNES cartdriges and doesn't have an SD or USB slot kinds puts me away from it (plus the price, TBH). These C64 minis have no working keyboard, so that's a major downer... dunno if I want one...

BTW: Anyone heard anything about the Commodore Amiga mini? Apparently it's a modern PC running some sort of Linux distro shaped to look like AmigaOS (called OS Vision).

Specs are:
Intel Core i7 @ 3,5 Ghz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, NVidia GeForce GT 430, Wi-Fi and 1TB HDD.

Will retail at about 2495USD (roughly 1884€).

Any truth to this? Visited www.commodoreusa.net but they mention none of it.

Source (in Portuguese): https://www.dinheirovivo.pt/buzz/vin...esta-de-volta/
Old 20 June 2018, 11:22   #71
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
Will retail at about 2495USD (roughly 1884€).
That's a crazy price; you'd be nuts to purchase one of these
Old 20 June 2018, 12:25   #72
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
I'm still a bit weary about these "mini" things of late. Are they any good? I've seen the SNES mini for sale in shops around here but the fact that it does NOT read SNES cartdriges and doesn't have an SD or USB slot kinds puts me away from it (plus the price, TBH). These C64 minis have no working keyboard, so that's a major downer... dunno if I want one...
The SNES Mini is actually very good. The two controllers that comes with it are also good. It can be easily "modded" via USB so you can add more SNES games or even games from other systems. The input lag on it is low also so that's good. I think the price for it can drop at some point, I'm keeping my eyes open for that.

The input lag / latency is the biggest problem with many of the new "emulation" systems. My brother bought a Retron 5, it was basically unusable because of the input lag so he returned it. The C64 Mini seems to suffer from the same problem. If it hasn't been fixed in a later firmware I wouldn't recommend getting one. I often read that the television is to blame for input lag, and sure, different TVs have different latency but the latency from a "normal" TV is not too bad. You might not even notice the input lag directly, the games may just feel hard or not fun to play.
Old 20 June 2018, 13:01   #73
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

What I read on their FB page comments there is also some synchronisation problem in video vs sound. Someone mentions it is getting worse in time - not noticable immediatelly, but after some 15 mins of playing clearly visible. This is weird.
Old 30 July 2018, 21:57   #74
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Okay, I have it finally
Old 31 July 2018, 13:07   #75
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Okay, I have it finally
Any good? How's the input lag?
Old 31 July 2018, 13:24   #76
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I played only a little with it. Some input lag was there yesterday really, but it was not so serious. I played Paradroid, Zynaps, Thing on a Spring and Uridium and it was fully playable (with TV in a game mode). Today I applied the latest firmware and they say it should minimize the lag. I will try tonight. Picture is very good as is the sound, menu is well done and everything seems to be quite precisely made. I do not like the joystick - I do not think it is a bad quality, but I just hate Competition Pro anti-ergonomic design.

I managed to install additional game to it, it is a bit tricky, but it works. C64 is not perfect, but I am not dissapointed. I also have mini NES and mini SNES and I think the quality is comparable.
Old 02 August 2018, 03:04   #77
BullyDog

For a long time I was interested in one of these mini consoles but after a lot of research I couldn't justify buying one. Some of the higher priced models like $200-$300 might do the trick.

This is when I found the Raspberry Pi projects. One was for gaming consoles. I built me one in a mini Nintendo case with working power and reset switches. Real nice box. I bought the good stuff including better PSU and dual fan cooling system. I invested $120 including the microSD card with 5,400+ games on 12 consoles.

The Raspberry Pi is a full functional computer with wifi and Bluetooth. It has USB ports for controllers, keyboards and mouses. 1.2 Ghz quad core CPU, 1 gig memory and a microSD card slot for storage. Very capable system.

I bought another microSD card with 100,000+ games on 40 consoles because it has the C64 and Amiga. I really liked the Amiga. I extracted the games off the card and ported them to my PC. That's when I bought the Amiga Forever software to run em.

And it brought me here to this cool forum.
Old 16 April 2022, 22:23   #78
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

What joypad do you use with C64mini? I mean - the original joystick is tragic, its second upgarded version is even worse. Unfortunately MegaDrive mini USB joypads are not working with mini64. I would like something simple, in the style of MD (not playstation / xbox ones), what would you recommend?
Old 16 April 2022, 22:35   #79
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
What joypad do you use with C64mini? I mean - the original joystick is tragic, its second upgarded version is even worse. Unfortunately MegaDrive mini USB joypads are not working with mini64. I would like something simple, in the style of MD (not playstation / xbox ones), what would you recommend?
I got this with my A500 Mini:
https://retrogames.biz/products/thegamepad/
It states that it also works with C64 Mini and I think it is reasonably well built. So if you're into joypads (I am not for C64/Amiga), then it might be an option.

Alternatively, perhaps something like this adapter could work if you want to use a normal joystick?
https://monsterjoysticks.com/9-pin-j...to-usb-adapter
I don't know this specific product, but this was just the first one I found. Otherwise you could just install a DB9 connector in the original tragic joystick. Then at least it can be useful for something.
Old 16 April 2022, 22:52   #80
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I think there should be some simple useful PC USB joypad, I do not want to waste my old trusty 90s joypads for such a modern device like mini64

Also I do not like that pad from RetroGames. It lacks standard round Dpad and I am already afraid of controllers produced by RG.

I was surprised miniMD pads do not work as they have standard USB connectors, but I even do not manage them to work in WinUAE, so they are probably really SEGA hardware dedicated, despite the plugs.