English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 July 2009, 10:37   #1
icycool
Banned

Elite Amiga

Hi there,

I recently purchased this off eBay for an exorbitant price.
This version is the plain UK firebird release with no large writing at the top.

My box only came with the disk and the quick key control guide.. however, the listing said it was 'complete'.

Can someone who owns this please confirm what should be in the box, I would expect a manual at the very least.

Cheers.
Old 07 July 2009, 11:17   #2
Sensi
Unregistered User

There should be a manual.

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/manual.htm
http://www.eliteppc.com/manual/manual.htm

edit - The Dark Wheel: http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/dkwheel.htm

Last edited by Sensi; 07 July 2009 at 11:22.
Old 07 July 2009, 11:20   #3
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

I have the Amiga version (published by Firebird) and it sounds like yours is NOT complete.

You should have a disk (obviously ), an A4 sized Keyboard Controls card, a small Manual booklet and a book called The Dark Wheel, which was a "novella" to set the scene for the game. I think there is a poster showing the ships in service as well. If you look up Elite for the C64 at Gamebox 64 you will get an idea of what I mean and be able to download the novella and poster.

These all were in an A5 sized box, does this sould like what you have?

Old 07 July 2009, 11:27   #4
icycool
Banned

Hi Merlin,

Thanks for the reply.

My box is the A5 sized one, and contains only the quick key control guide, a firebird registration and a firebird sticker.. thats all.
I will be getting back to the seller ASAP regarding this. Unfortunately it was not paid via payPal, so there is no insurance, but the game cost me $61AUD.. and claimed to be complete.. so I am not pleased.
Before winning the auction, I searched high and low regarding contents of the box and found no information on the net, other than a few box pictures.
I have the C64 version of this, so I did expect a little more documentation, but since I could find no evidence of any contents, I took the seller at their word.
Old 07 July 2009, 17:27   #5
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I have the Amiga version (published by Firebird) and it sounds like yours is NOT complete.

You should have a disk (obviously ), an A4 sized Keyboard Controls card, a small Manual booklet and a book called The Dark Wheel, which was a "novella" to set the scene for the game. I think there is a poster showing the ships in service as well. If you look up Elite for the C64 at Gamebox 64 you will get an idea of what I mean and be able to download the novella and poster.

These all were in an A5 sized box, does this sould like what you have?

I could be wrong but I've an idea that the C64 version was a bit more generous than the Amiga version regarding extras in the box.

I'm thinking of the poster and novella...

..as I say, I maybe wrong.
Old 07 July 2009, 19:22   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by |cy[ool View Post
My box is the A5 sized one, and contains only the quick key control guide, a firebird registration and a firebird sticker.. thats all.
I have two different versions of Amiga Elite:

This version came with the following:
  • Disk
  • Quick Key control guide
  • Space Traders Flight Training Manual
  • The Dark Wheel by Robert Holdstock
  • Registration card
  • Ship Identification Chart (Folded A3 Poster)
  • Firebird Sticker

Pretty sure this version of the game has manual protection and without the books you're stuffed as you cannot play!

This version came with less stuff... cannot find it just now to confirm, the box is quite different to the other (and 8-bit versions). It is the newer version v2.0 with extra features (probably just bug fixes?) I think...

NOTE: I did not buy either brand new so cannot be sure that the items that were in the box were not from other sources, but I doubt it.

Last edited by alexh; 07 July 2009 at 19:42.
Old 07 July 2009, 21:12   #7
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I have two different versions of Amiga Elite:

This version came with the following:
  • Disk
  • Quick Key control guide
  • Space Traders Flight Training Manual
  • The Dark Wheel by Robert Holdstock
  • Registration card
  • Ship Identification Chart (Folded A3 Poster)
  • Firebird Sticker
Pretty sure this version of the game has manual protection and without the books you're stuffed as you cannot play!

NOTE: I did not buy either brand new so cannot be sure that the items that were in the box were not from other sources, but I doubt it.
Yup, that's the version I have, but without the sticker.... I knew I wasn't wrong about it, even though it's safe and secure in the loft right now.
Old 17 July 2009, 18:22   #8
cartlT01

BBC Documentary - Games Britannia

Hi Everyone,

We are making a BBC TV series, called 'Games Britannia' on the history of games including video games. We are looking for a fan of Elite to take part. We would like them to play the game and talk to our presenter about why they like it. We are ideally looking for somone in their 30s/40s and plan to film on the 29th of July for a couple of hours. If you are interested, or know anyone who might be, could you please call me asap on 020 800 83521, or email me at tom.cartlidge@bbc.co.uk

Many thanks,

Tom Cartlidge

Old 17 July 2009, 18:33   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Haha, Email sent, I unfortunately meet the criteria, i.e. i'm an old bugger now, and I played it 'back in the day' on the Beeb and later on the Amiga.

Damn, I feel old now!
Old 17 July 2009, 19:19   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I was watching the films "The lost boys" and "Robocop" on TV last week, both just happened to be on, both filmed in 1987. Two of my favourite films as a young adult.

Then I realised 1987 is 22 years ago!!