English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 October 2013, 07:32   #1
theshinyknight

Amiga 1200 custom case

Is there anyone that makes custom cases for the Amiga 1200, or that has instructions about how to make one?

I am about to hit the local store to get either some wood, or some pexiglass/plastic sheet to make a case; altho I am not sure exactly what to make

A bit of inspiration would go a long way to do this.

Any suggestions? I want something small, that I can fit under the monitor

Thnks!
Old 23 October 2013, 23:05   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshinyknight View Post
A bit of inspiration would go a long way to do this.
Have a look at this thread:
Custom Amiga 1200 Case
Old 28 October 2013, 09:34   #3
theshinyknight

Thanks; followed it as inspiration.

Altho I have few questions:

1) I like the idea of acrylic/Plexiglas; but just to be used on the top of the case; can I glue it on the top of a painted case (either made in metal or wood, like the one in the link), or it would cloud if I use the glue? I want the surface to be transparent, so you can see the artwork that I will print on the case surface.

I was told that you can't do that, so you can only screw this material, if you want to keep it transparent.

2) If I mod one of the existing pc case, do I have to sand it down an buy special paint (like the one for the car), or any spray can would work? Never did case modding before.

I have seen some cases at my local store that are pretty small (they look like a CDTV case), and I am planning to get one of these and use it as base for the case.
Old 28 October 2013, 10:09   #4
ajk

You can glue acrylic together in a clear fashion. Basically you need to make the parts fit together very well, then run a bead of solvent (usually MEK) down the gap.

Plenty of instructions around the net, here's [ Show youtube player ].

Of course you can't solvent weld acrylic directly on top of a metal case, but perhaps you could create some kind of rim or eyelets for the screws so they will not be very visble.
Old 28 October 2013, 11:11   #5
theshinyknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
You can glue acrylic together in a clear fashion. Basically you need to make the parts fit together very well, then run a bead of solvent (usually MEK) down the gap.

Plenty of instructions around the net, here's [ Show youtube player ].

Of course you can't solvent weld acrylic directly on top of a metal case, but perhaps you could create some kind of rim or eyelets for the screws so they will not be very visble.
Thanks for the reply.

I see; so somehow I still need to screw on the case a frame, because the acrylic will not go directly on the metal.

I saw that video, and was wondering if there is another type of glue, that would allow me to glue all around the outer part of the acrylic sheet, leaving the majority of it unglued and transparent. Sadly that technique works only among other acrylic sheet, since it welds the material.

If it was a window, where the sheet goes inside, glue would not be an issue (I know that you can use aquarium epoxy to glue acrylic to metal successfully); but since the sheet goes on top of the case, can't use the same product sadly.

Screws are the last resort, since I am worried to crack the sheet, and put screw in the case that will be visible with the transparent top.

I guess that this is why you don't see anyone putting transparent acrylic on top of cases….either they go inside the case, or they weld among other acrylic sheet to make the case itself, or screwed in the metal to make a window.
Old 28 October 2013, 11:28   #6
ajk

A reasonably clean solution might be to use double-sided tape. At least there would be no risk of glue spills or clouding and it would be possible to take the window off, if necessary. If done neatly, say with black tape, it could look pretty good.
Old 29 October 2013, 08:16   #7
theshinyknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
A reasonably clean solution might be to use double-sided tape. At least there would be no risk of glue spills or clouding and it would be possible to take the window off, if necessary. If done neatly, say with black tape, it could look pretty good.
I could make a frame all around the case with double sided tape, cut very thin.

Since I am planning to put something on the case (like an Amiga logo and such), if I put tape all over I would cover it.

I may abandon the idea altogether thou; I can't find any crazy guy that did something like what I want to make LOL
Old 29 October 2013, 20:24   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshinyknight View Post
I have seen some cases at my local store that are pretty small (they look like a CDTV case), and I am planning to get one of these and use it as base for the case.
For some serious power machine building and case modding see this thread:
My Amiga CD1200 Project
Old 06 November 2013, 06:08   #9
theshinyknight

Nice one prowler! The guy went all the way to the bone to customize it...I wish I had such skill

My starting project is much simpler honestly: probably just the amiga, floppy, hdd and maybe a cd
Old 17 November 2013, 13:38   #10
SS454
Banned

Wood could be used quite easily: http://s995.photobucket.com/user/fra...?sort=4&page=1

Avoid MDF though, it's evil poisonous nasty stuff. Plywood is much better.

I'm sketching out some ideas for a basic 600/1200 unit like this. something that could be nice and small, hold your hard disks, PSU, ACA card, joystick/mouse switcher, etc, in as small a case as possible. No busboards, but with enough room that you could install just about anything else (Subway usb or whatever else) over time, if you wanted.

I would be happy to post the plans when finished, or maybe even a small production run. It would be a nice to have a small, good looking machine in between basic 020 wedges and ££££ RTG towers.

I suppose, even, with things like the ACA500, and kipper's ram/cf board, that even an Amiga 500 version could be worthwhile. It would certainly be cheaper, you could reuse the keyboard.

Last edited by SS454; 17 November 2013 at 14:06.