English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 December 2008, 21:52   #41
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwak View Post

I'd be more than happy to release the ST game demos, if you know anyone who can do that, and host them, on a site or whatever. I'm quite happy to share, for nostalgia's sake.

Just a bit busy to spend too much time on it myself.

Jamie.
Maybe you could ask on Atari Legend, i'm sure they would like to release your demos.

http://www.atarilegend.com/news/news.php
Old 04 December 2008, 00:09   #42
qwak
Game Developer

Send a message via MSN to qwak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Maybe you could ask on Atari Legend, i'm sure they would like to release your demos.

http://www.atarilegend.com/news/news.php
Thanks. I sent them a mail. Hopefully it'll be a simple job of sticking 3.5" floppies in a PC and using some special software to grab the data (files) from them? Will be interesting to see them on an Emu.

Mind you. I have some old unreleased Amiga stuff too...
Old 04 December 2008, 00:12   #43
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:

Mind you. I have some old unreleased Amiga stuff too...
Then don't hesitate to post it here:

You could upload this stuff into the Zone:

http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=vb_...ezone_faq_item
Old 04 December 2008, 00:32   #44
DamienD
Banned

...or just speak with CodyJarrett. He runs the Amiga Games That Weren't website

There's also a section on EAB speifically for this kind of stuff: project.aGTW
Old 04 December 2008, 01:08   #45
demoniac

Quote:
lol.

Nope. It just didn't happen in the Amiga version! Maybe it said it did on the packaging, I dunno? Blame Psygnosis!
Aren't there pedestrians in the Amiga version? I seemed to remember seeing
a few in the higher levels.
Old 06 December 2008, 23:50   #46
qwak
Game Developer

The problem is getting stuff off the floppies and on to a PC (same with my ST stuff too). I'm sure it'll happen though.
Old 06 December 2008, 23:53   #47
qwak
Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
Aren't there pedestrians in the Amiga version? I seemed to remember seeing a few in the higher levels.
Nope.

Defo no pedestrians in the Amiga version (not unless they sneaked another coder in while I wasn't looking and they added secret hidden bits of code in to the game).

Jamie.
Old 07 December 2008, 00:00   #48
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Nope.

Defo no pedestrians in the Amiga version (not unless they sneaked another coder in while I wasn't looking and they added secret hidden bits of code in to the game).

Jamie.
Did Nitro do good business for you?

Always thought software released through Psygnosis sold quite well, well, thats the perception of their expensive looking packaging and adverts!
Old 09 December 2008, 02:17   #49
demoniac

Quote:

Jamie.

Ah, thanks for the official word! Cheers.
Old 09 December 2008, 23:26   #50
qwak
Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Did Nitro do good business for you?

Always thought software released through Psygnosis sold quite well, well, thats the perception of their expensive looking packaging and adverts!
Nope. Not really.

Oh, and what is it they say about books and covers?
Old 23 December 2008, 18:49   #51
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
it's kind of funny to read the comments and see the clowns still insisting amiga did not have technical superiority just because it had a lower clocked CPU.
Keep your mouth shut, you shemale
I saw this thread on Atari Forums (I am boycotting EAB
for a number of reasons, especially the anti Atari tack lately),
and it bothers me Atari St still gets no respect!
Thisgoes for you too, Cyber Druid
Old 23 December 2008, 19:05   #52
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Fop View Post
Oh oh, me has hurt Freds feelings I'm sorry mate
I never denied the Atari ST is close second *thinks of another machine to rant about...*
Nice to see you around again and Merry Christmas Fred
Old 23 December 2008, 20:41   #53
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
it has some Hurryble scrolls hehehe
Old 24 December 2008, 12:19   #54
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Fop View Post
Keep your mouth shut, you shemale
I saw this thread on Atari Forums (I am boycotting EAB
for a number of reasons, especially the anti Atari tack lately),
and it bothers me Atari St still gets no respect!

To be fair though the ST was fairly ghastly compared to the Amiga.It did however have an absolute charm all of itself and a bit like say the Spectrum.I loved my time spent gaming on ST and of course you still can't play Oids or Super Sprint( I actually prefer the ST version over Arcade) on Amiga

Wouldn't trade in my ST memories for anything as they were treasured times indeed.I did however trade my ST in for an Amiga at around the time Starglider2 came out - it was too painfully jealous a time not too have one at this point as the Amiga was fairly incredible when compared.Regularly i would visit a friend and he would show me the latest stuff on Amiga, but it when i saw Sodan that i absolutely had to have one

And when i say i traded it in, i mean sold it to go towards an Amiga as my dad made the money difference - i still thank him for this.Special day that was when i finally got the A500

Of course if you didn't have an Amiga, ST still provided some great games and a ton of fun.You could never go back though if you owned the A500.

I very much doubt we will ever again be wowed as much as when the Amiga entered our lives, it's a tough act to follow
Old 24 December 2008, 12:32   #55
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
it's kind of funny to read the comments and see the clowns still insisting amiga did not have technical superiority just because it had a lower clocked CPU.
Indeed! Especially because they both use the same eight mhz cpu Not to mention all the Amigas custom chips... ST better than Amiga? Of course! The ST has a midi port and the Amiga does not

Sorry, guys, but I just couldn't resist
Old 24 December 2008, 12:34   #56
dir_marillion
Randy Rhoads

It was not only the faster cpu, Atari ST was better than Amiga 500 in some other hardware points too: a. Atari had ASCI port (using it for connect SCSI hard disks and cdrom), b. it had also midi ports, c. it had a ready 640x400 resolution (not flickerred!!) - bigger than the resolution of the Macs -for dtp and midi applications-, d. it had TOS in ROM, e. the internal and external construction of the Atari was a little bit more expensive than the Amiga :-)

Atari was between Apple and Amiga philosophy, so had better software at word processing, dtp, vector design software, cads etc.. for many years. Atari become famous with Calamus and Cubase, two Great pieces of software in Computer history.

So, of course there is a respect for all Ataris in EAB, as much as for all Amigas !!

Last edited by dir_marillion; 24 December 2008 at 12:48.
Old 24 December 2008, 12:46   #57
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dir_marillion View Post
It was not only the faster cpu, Atari ST was better than Amiga 500 in some hardware points: a. Atari had ASCI port (using it for connect SCSI hard disks and cdrom), b. it had also midi ports, c. it had a ready 640x400 resolution (not flickerred) for dtp applications, d. it had TOS in ROM (no need of a disk for the os). Sure, there is a respect for all Ataris in EAB.
a. Seems a little irrelevant seeing how there are good A500 solutions for hd/cd.
b. Almost no one needed midi, except musicians.
c. Yes, that's true. On the ST there is actually usefull software that uses this mode. The backdraw is that you need a special monitor for it that doesn't support 15khz modes. Not a problem for professionals, though.
d. Yes, it does. But TOS is a single tasking os as far as I know, and in the case of AmigaOs, the entire kernal is in rom, and a disk based os is preferable, because it's easy to update. Having everything in rom is not a definitive advantage. Also, an os is not part of the hardware, so it's irrelevant. Anyway, AmigaOs is probably much better than TOS.
Old 24 December 2008, 12:50   #58
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I remember not noticing slower frame rates for Starglider2 on the Amiga and that was having come from playing the ST version to death.It's a slower cpu yes but too tiny an increase to make any real difference when it comes gaming.

Most 3d games with the exception of Extensor(i like the ST version better) were better on Amiga for the simple fact that they sounded awesome and played exactly the same as the ST version anyway

St does have cute sound and some nice melodies but all the important stuff for games was only on Amiga.It doesn't change the fact that if you had an ST, then you would likely be very happy with it - providing you never saw an Amiga running the same games
Old 24 December 2008, 13:00   #59
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
It's a slower cpu yes but too tiny an increase to make any real difference when it comes gaming.
Actually, the cpu is not slower on the A500, it's an 8 mhz 68000 (as far as I know) clocked at 7.14 mhz, so not all the speed is used. With cpu intensive software, you'll notice a difference, and here the ST does have a small advantage.
Old 24 December 2008, 13:15   #60
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I guess the point should be then that it would need to be quite a bit slower for it to be relavant to those playing the same game.The difference was never big enough for me to even notice and i doubt many did either?

I suppose it's an advantage if you like knowing something is faster, unless it really is very noticable Thorham?