English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 April 2015, 23:01   #521
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd_jedi View Post
Skip the first one, just play the Mega Drive version of SOR2. It doesn't get any better, still my all-time favourite sideways scrolling beat em up.
Lol I was hoping to go through in order. Did they release on Dreamcast or Sega Saturn as I thought these may have had a better version?
Old 20 April 2015, 12:30   #522
edd_jedi

Not that I know of.
Old 20 April 2015, 13:27   #523
Cobe

Yeah, I also think they didn't. Though you could try BOR on Dreamcast.
Old 20 April 2015, 13:46   #524
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Lol I was hoping to go through in order. Did they release on Dreamcast or Sega Saturn as I thought these may have had a better version?
http://www.soronline.net/sorr_review.htm
Old 20 April 2015, 13:49   #525
leathered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
Any news on this project ? Would love to know if there's been some progress since the last update. Or did development come to a halt ?
Still going strong - I'm sure this thing will be finished to some extent by the end of the year and am keeping a low profile with it. Been busy with other things but the hardest part is finished, something of it all will become a reality, I've put too much time into it to drop it all now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Speaking of Streets of Rage. I never did play that... might have to give it a go! Original Mega Drive version or is there a better port elsewhere?
Quote:
Skip the first one, just play the Mega Drive version of SOR2. It doesn't get any better, still my all-time favourite sideways scrolling beat em up.
For me, SOR 1 is somewhere between Golden Axe and Final Fight - worth a play if you can find it. SOR 2 is a beast of a game, especially if you can find someone to play it with. Better than FF? Well, for me the jury is out, yes there are more moves etc. but to me the gameplay always felt less technical - though I think only a true street fighter 2 nerd would understand! No doubt that Sega had a wealth of experience and knew what they were doing in terms of making the most from the MD's power though; and It's no pushover either, which is always good for scrolly beat-em ups.

Edit: The brave souls who were interested in playtesting this I'll PM you, I put this here as I think one of you hasn't been on the board for a while.

Last edited by leathered; 21 April 2015 at 16:49.
Old 24 April 2015, 15:06   #526
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Streets of Rage 3 is actually kinda hard, much harder than the 2nd game for sure.

But everyone loves SoR 2 ,and I think that's exactly because it's an easier game. You can set the difficulty level to "Mania" and have a real challenge, or just play on defaults and breeze along the game, having fun.

And I am interested in playtesting this project Even more if you keep on having an ECS version
Old 24 April 2015, 15:27   #527
edd_jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
But everyone loves SoR 2 ,and I think that's exactly because it's an easier game. You can set the difficulty level to "Mania" and have a real challenge, or just play on defaults and breeze along the game, having fun.
I must admit I'm one of those people! I just don't have the patience for mega-tough games, I see games as kind of like interactive films, I like to enjoy the story not keep doing the same frustrating bits over and over again. I never got past Sodom in Final Fight, whereas I have completed SOR2 many times so yes maybe you're right! But personally I don't think FF is anywhere near as technical or elegant as Street Fighter 2.
Old 24 April 2015, 16:42   #528
leathered

Quote:
I never got past Sodom in Final Fight, whereas I have completed SOR2 many times so yes maybe you're right! But personally I don't think FF is anywhere near as technical or elegant as Street Fighter 2.
It isn't really, it's still a scrolling, button mashing beat em up. But if you're good at SF2 you'll get more out of Final Fight than some of the other beat-em ups. The combo system, while a shadow of what it became in SF2 is in there under the chaos, and makes it possible to play with some finesse. For me it makes the game that much more rewarding, and part of the challenge in re-producing the fun of the original lies in that – getting closer to the mark. One of the things I dislike from the original was the 'shifting' you can do to produce a never ending chain combo - to begin with that must be reproduced (it's probably a bug left over from the combo system) but then I think it needs to be removed somewhat.
Defeating Sodom without pumping in more cash requires a strategy. By far the best longplay I've found is this one: [ Show youtube player ]
Also the only place I've ever heard someone say there were 3 buttons in the original game.

I'm tidying what I've got for a playtest and then I'll put this out to those who are interested – and yes I'll include the ECS version to the bargain =).

Many thanks to Cylon for persevering and prompting an unscheduled debug of the source some time ago. My code lacks the finesse that you would have used, but we (the source and I) have become like an old married couple - for all her faults I know her - so I'm kind of stuck with it! =)
Old 11 May 2015, 14:30   #529
AF2013

Question

how it progressing?
Old 11 May 2015, 17:45   #530
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Last update was recent. Leathered sounds like hes in it for the long haul.
Old 24 September 2015, 22:20   #531
trydowave

Just played the Alpha demo. This really, really impressed me. I cant believe one guy managed to pull this off.
Just show what could be done on the Amiga.

Just one question. You mentioned an ECS version? Is a cut down version even possible?

Cant wait for the finished game.

Keep up the great work mate. You're a hero in the Amiga community.

Last edited by trydowave; 24 September 2015 at 22:42.
Old 28 December 2015, 18:55   #532
TurboCrash

Any news? From the demos this looks really promising to be the OpenBOR of the Amiga.

@trydowave
There's an ECS version on page 19 of this thread.
Old 28 December 2015, 21:07   #533
seko

i tried to make a street fighter 2 ce for amiga.then searching grfx rip in mame and megadrive emulator . i designed robobop game for amiga .robocop game gfx ripped in mame emulator.SF2ce game gfx ripped in megadrive emulator.im programming in c language .but c slow this type for games.i'm learning now 68k assembly language . i dont think to finish this projects .because hardest project all design.it was experience for me

i want to see on amiga .Good fighting port games. i think good conversion FFAGA – Alpha demo for amiga

SF2 CE

[ Show youtube player ]

ROBOCOP LEVEL 1 STAGE

[ Show youtube player ]

ROBOCOP LEVEL 1 BOSS

[ Show youtube player ]

Old 28 December 2015, 21:59   #534
TurboCrash

@seko

Those look nice.

FFAGA is coded in Blitz Basic 2 (which version? 2.1?) as far as I know. Going full assembly for a game is overkill and Blitz can use assembler routines where speed is needed.
Old 29 December 2015, 01:54   #535
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

@seko
they look really nice... Perhaps you could try to finish the easier one... Robocop i suppose.
And if you need any help, you can find it in this board.
Too bad that the original conversion didn't look like this but i suppose they never had access to the arcade sources and gfx.
A Shame !!!
If you finally decide to try to finish one and need help, just ask for it.
Old 29 December 2015, 14:53   #536
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by seko View Post
i tried to make a street fighter 2 ce for amiga.then searching grfx rip in mame and megadrive emulator . i designed robobop game for amiga .robocop game gfx ripped in mame emulator.SF2ce game gfx ripped in megadrive emulator.im programming in c language .but c slow this type for games.i'm learning now 68k assembly language . i dont think to finish this projects .because hardest project all design.it was experience for me

i want to see on amiga .Good fighting port games. i think good conversion FFAGA – Alpha demo for amiga

SF2 CE

[ Show youtube player ]

ROBOCOP LEVEL 1 STAGE

[ Show youtube player ]

ROBOCOP LEVEL 1 BOSS

[ Show youtube player ]
That's a good effort indeed, considering Robocop use 4X256 colors (or in arcade machine hardware, 4*(16x16 colors).
Old 29 December 2015, 15:34   #537
Gzegzolka

Sorry to hear that You stop Your work of FF AGA, but I understood it was challenging.
Old 01 January 2016, 23:54   #538
DamienD
Banned

Phew, took a while but finished reading through this complete thread...

Firstly awesome work leathered; well done indeed with all this and your devotion to a dream. Looks really cool and do hope that you finish this (which I'm positive you will)

Also nice work turrican3 and dlfrsilver (plus others that have helped along the way).

I'm a massive arcade head but also love the Amiga so nice to see a project like this. If I'm honest I thought the original Amiga version by Richard Aplin was pretty good and enjoyed playing it but of course nothing beats the arcade original

How close are you to completing this now?
Old 07 January 2016, 20:59   #539
DamienD
Banned

Can somebody please help a poor / useless Amiga user (when it comes to anything not .ADF / IPF based)...

Trying to take a look at this demo. Downloaded the file "FFAGA_ALPHA1.5 [select quickstart model a1200.].zip" which I presume is the latest released to date?

If I add this file into DF0: and start WinUAE I just have a blank WB background and nothing happens.

I then tried having the WB 3.1 in DF0: and the above file in DF1:. Once WB has loaded I can see the folder "ff_demo_alpha1.5" but when opening there are no files so not sure what to do

Ok, got a bit further. Right-clicked, selected Window --> Show All Files and can see "runme.exe". Double-clicked on this, loads for a second but that's it.

Tried using a "Quickstart A1200 - Basic non-expanded configuration" and a "Quickstart A1200 - 4MB Fast RAM expanded configuration".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Workbench v3_001.png
Views:	160
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	46862  

Last edited by TCD; 07 January 2016 at 21:40. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 07 January 2016, 21:33   #540
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It's probably time to install yourself (or get a preinstalled) Amiga Workbench, Damien. Then you don't have this problems. With a proper WB setup you can simply start the "ff_demo_alpha1.5" file via icon.