English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 09 August 2001, 18:33   #1
DPainter

Post Does anyone want the following original dumps...

A couple of months back I left the Amiga retro scene in order to get married, but last night I carefully slipped out of bed, installed a second floppy into my PC, and used DISK2FDI to dump the following original Amiga disks:

---------------------------------------
(These dumped without errors)

Aegis Animator
Aegis Images
Arthur the Quest for Excalibur
Disney Presents the Animation Studio (3 disks)
Jinxter
Journey
Shogun
The Colony (2 disks)
The Lurking Horror
Zoetrope the Animation System (2 disks)

(These had errors or at least copy protection)

Deluxe Paint (protected)
Deluxe Paint 2 (disk 1 protected)
SEUCK (2 disks; crashed under wb1.3. protected?)
Treasure Trap (protected)
The Colonel’s Bequest (5 disks; disks 3 and 5 had errors or protection)
------------------------------------------
As many of you know, the thrill of booting up a dusty ware that you haven't seen for 10 or 15 years is something akin to what Indiana Jones must feel. Along with that feeling comes a sadness that soon there will be no more artifacts to uncover. It's nice, though, that Amiga has become the greatest and last digital archeaology expedition.

I'll upload any of the above upon request...

Dpainter
Old 09 August 2001, 18:45   #2
icycool
Banned

Hello Dpainter

Nice to see you in here!

We want ALL your dumps.

The best place to let them out is probably Amigatronic, since you can access ftp's and such from there

P.S. I'm very surprised to hear that the Dpaint disks are protected.. hmm oh well
Old 09 August 2001, 18:51   #3
Amigaboy

Sborat: It's a prog that lets your PC read Amiga disks. http://fast.emuunlim.com/disk2fdi/

I'm a little hesitant in using this prog since it supposedly sends index pulses to your Amiga disks (thus altering them, and possibly ruining them). I've used it on a few disks and nothing seems to have happened (although Dejavu 2 refuses to work now)

Old 09 August 2001, 19:22   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Hey, DPainter - I was wondering where you'd disappeared to! Welcome back. BTW, still no luck on that Puppy Love game (sigh) My guess is that the disk was copy protected somehow and the 'copy' is now useless. I remember this happened one time before for me with a copy of (disk 2?) of Planet Of Lust.

Anyhow, yes - we are always hunting down original dumps here. I dunno right off the bat what Amigatronic is, but my suggestion is to post them here, rather than an ftp. If someone else wants to truck them over to the ftp afterwards, that's their thing.

BTW: the only copy protecion I am aware of on The Colonel's Bequest is manual lookup, so those may be genuine sector errors (or index pulse errors...yikes!)

@Amigaboy
I'll pop up Cody's patented double-barrel screenshot for you of Shogun and if it's what ya need, lemme know and I'll inject it into the zone...

<Ian>
Removed screenshot during the great clean-up October 2001
</Ian>

Last edited by Ian; 12 October 2001 at 01:03.
Old 09 August 2001, 19:30   #5
TikTok

Hmm, I'm intrigued that your DPaint disks had copy protection on them Certainly my copy of DPaint 3 never had this; in fact I don't think many apps did really, only games.

My copy of Colonel's Bequest also only has manual protection, so maybe you could have genuine sector errors
Old 09 August 2001, 19:52   #6
Amigaboy

Twistin:

Amigatronic is the IRC channel on newnet where the Amigatronic guys hang out

Thanks for looking for Shogun, but I have that version. That's the text adventure and I hate it (with a passion)

The version I speak of looks like :

<Ian>
Removed screenshot during the great clean-up October 2001
</Ian>

Last edited by Ian; 12 October 2001 at 01:04.

Old 09 August 2001, 19:57   #7
icycool
Banned

I used to play that game a lot on the C64!!

Its a shame I sold my original tape of it but it is a very cool platformer
Old 09 August 2001, 20:09   #8
DPainter

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin' Ghost
Hey, DPainter - I was wondering where you'd disappeared to! Welcome back. BTW, still no luck on that Puppy Love game (sigh) My guess is that the disk was copy protected somehow and the 'copy' is now useless. I remember this happened one time before for me with a copy of (disk 2?) of Planet Of Lust.

Anyhow, yes - we are always hunting down original dumps here. I dunno right off the bat what Amigatronic is, but my suggestion is to post them here, rather than an ftp. If someone else wants to truck them over to the ftp afterwards, that's their thing.

BTW: the only copy protecion I am aware of on The Colonel's Bequest is manual lookup, so those may be genuine sector errors (or index pulse errors...yikes!)
Glad to be back. That's too bad about Puppy Love, a game that few remember and apparently nobody bought. Maybe there's an original somewhere. I was very glad to hear when The Halley Project was resurrected.

Colonel's Bequest featured a red cellophane magnifying glass you used to reveal the "hidden" names and matching fingerprints on a big foldout. Clever and annoying manual protection, huh? I probably have errors on my disks, but maybe it is protection? How many people have played the cracked Amiga version through to the end, anyway?

As for Deluxe Paint, DPaint II uses what it calls a "key disk" and even came packaged with a backup disk (to discourage making copies, I guess). If you copy the original, it will ask you to insert the key disk before continuing. I assume that the first Deluxe Paint just contains the same protection as DPaint2, but doesn't ask for the key disk. Look at the parameter listings in copy programs like ProjectD and Marauder and you'll see Deluxe Paint and Deluxe Paint II in them.

BTW, any word on Chronicles of Omega?

<Ian>
Removed box scan during the great clean-up October 2001
</Ian>

Last edited by Ian; 12 October 2001 at 01:05.
Old 09 August 2001, 22:09   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

@Amigaboy
Not familiar with that version of Shogun, but I feel reasonably sure it wasn't published for the Amiga. Do you know the date and publisher of the game?

I may have to check out #Amigatronic this weekend. Which server should I use?

@DPainter
Puppy Love will surface one day because I know I used to have it, so somebody out there must, too.

I have a copy of The Colonel's Bequest with no errors. There was an original on BTTR, I believe and I used a parameter copier to fix it. I assume the 'uncooked' version is still there. Can't say as I've played it to the end, but I am not familiar with any Sierra games using disk-based protection.

Still searching for Chronicles Of Omega. I forgot who it is right now, but some guy (who has a site) does most of those obscure games box scans for Exotica. Clearly this guy has a copy. If we can track him down, he has this and a lot of other scarce titles that would be great if we could get dumps of. Anybody have any details on this guy?
Old 09 August 2001, 22:32   #10
icycool
Banned

I know the guy who did the scan for exotica and has the original, he's on holidays, and its not a matter of him copying it for us, its a matter of the heavy disk protection.
Old 10 August 2001, 12:39   #11
Amigaboy

Twistin:

Shogun was released by Virgin in 1986

http://www.c64gg.com/s7.html <-- This site has screenshots of Shogun. Basically the same as those I took (actually 2 are the same and the last is 1 screen away from mine ) but it would've saved me the trouble of taking the screens.....oh well

To get onto #amigatronic, use any newnet server

Go to http://www.newnet.net/ for a list of servers, or just use irc.newnet.net for a random server

Old 10 August 2001, 18:51   #12
Amigaboy

What the hell is that version!?!?

Now I gotta check my C64 collection to see if I have it

Old 10 August 2001, 18:54   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

@Amigaboy
Since Virgin published that game and it was 1986, I feel certain we got no Amiga version. Bummer. Oh, and thanks for the server list. I'll fire up mIRC and check it out.

@|cy[ool
There are ways around heavy copy-protection. That particular game, I believe, used Rob Northen's Copylock. Perhaps Codetapper can key us in on the best method for making a backup of the game. I have never seen a copy circulating of this game anywhere, so it's a noble cause.
Old 10 August 2001, 18:56   #14
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Sometimes it is listed as "The Shogun" and there is also a German version circulating.
Old 10 August 2001, 19:08   #15
Amigaboy

Apparently I've had that version of Shogun for a while now but I've never played it (since I thought it was the same game that I was requesting)

I just had a gander at it and all I can say is....OMG! Can you say Defender Of The Crown ripoff? I ain't kidding when I say it's a blatant ripoff! Hold tournaments, buy armies, move into land, robberies...OMG!

Not only that, but this game has obscene loading times. After everything you do, it decides to load something!

sheesh...

Thanks for telling me about it Twistin. Now I know there's a game called Shogun which isn't a text adventure which I must avoid

Old 10 August 2001, 19:53   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

LOL!!! Yeah, even looking at the screens from it, it's obvious that the designer(s) had a DotC fetish! Unoriginal graphics design, rip-off gameplay and a title already in existance on two other games! These were real idea guys, eh?

Old 11 August 2001, 02:07   #17
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Post Backing up originals

OK dudes, here's a checklist of sorts:

1. Look on the Rob Northen interview on my site. At the bottom is a list of the majority of games protected with Copylock. If you see the game you are "backing up" is there, you know the whole disk is copyable except one track. If the game isn't there, never mind!

2. Read the imaging guide on the WHDLoad site for all tools and instructions for backups.

3. I would personally never use that Disk2FDI thing for any Amiga original games as it definitely won't copy protected games and there's that danger of the index sync thing buggering up the disk (if that's true - I'm assuming here). For cracks yes, originals - No (unless you can be 100% certain there is no protection!)

4. Always and I mean ALWAYS use MFMWarp on the copylock track for Rob Northen copylock games. Most of the time a (faulty/bad) crack can be downloaded to grab the serial number from it but rare games can't be cracked properly unless you have track 1 as a warp file. There are 2^32 possible combinations so it would be like trying to guess one number out of approx 4 billion unless you have the track!

Hope that helps...

PS: Never heard of this game but if it's old it probably has one track as a check and the rest is straight copyable.