English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 05 July 2010, 06:07   #1
Limbo

WHDLoad newbie questions

Hi Everyone,

I am just returning back to my real Amiga after an absence of a few years.

My only claim to (Amiga) fame is that when I cleared out the majority of my original Amiga games I helped out ‘HOL’ by scanning Box Covers and Amiga Disks that were missing from their database. I think I managed about 40 or so.

I have since dusted off my Amiga 1200 and Amiga 600 and have tried to update them as best I could.

My Amiga 1200 has:
3.1 Roms and 3.1 Workbench (with Magic Workbench 2.0)
2MB Chip Ram + 8MB Fast Ram
3.2 GB Hard Drive

Amiga 600 has:
2.05 (37.350) Rom and 2.1 Workbench (with Magic Workbench 2.0)
A603 1MB Ram Expansion
2MB SRAM PCMCIA Card
1GB CF Hard Drive

I had only played games by floppy up until now so I was a complete newbie to WHDLoad, but after consulting the EAB forums I did manage to successfully install WHDLoad, a great program which I duly registered, so thanks Bert Wepl.
I also downloaded the awesome KGWHDL game packs, so thank you very much ‘killergorilla’.

I just have a couple of newbie questions relating to WHDLoad.

1. I’m having trouble viewing the game icons, all I see is the white dot where the Icon should be. I read in other posts that I need ‘NewIcons’, where can I find this download? I don’t have access to the The Zone so I tried Aminet but there are hundreds of downloads relating to ‘NewIcons’.

2. On my Amiga 600 there is no ‘MultiView’ just ‘More’. Is ‘MultiView’ an Amiga 1200 program or can I install it on my A600 as well. In the forums I read that some Amiga 600 owners have suggested that upgrading to a 3.1 Rom and Workbench is the way to go.

Thanks again to everyone for such a great Amiga meeting and problem solving forum!

Regards,
Limbo.

Last edited by Limbo; 08 July 2010 at 09:26.

Old 05 July 2010, 06:32   #2
Redwood

Hi Limbo,

That's a couple of nice Amiga systems you have there.

1. For NewIcons, the download you want from Aminet is: http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/NewIcons46.

2. You can get a version of MultiView that works under Workbench 2.1 at http://aminet.net/package/util/sys/2b_mv_os2.

Redwood
Old 05 July 2010, 06:40   #3
Redwood

You might also want to consider using one of the pre-installed Workbench packs such as:

1. Classic Workbench http://classicwb.abime.net/; or
2. AmigaSys http://www.amigasys.com/

Last edited by Redwood; 05 July 2010 at 06:41. Reason: Corrected a typo
Old 05 July 2010, 10:00   #4
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
I don’t have access to the The Zone
For future reference: Read the Rules & Help link at the top of the page.

Oh and welcome to EAB.
Old 05 July 2010, 11:33   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
@Limbo, welcome to EAB!

Classic Workbench is really worth checking out, there are packs that would suit both your systems, I would suggest for the A1200 Classic Workbench Full (or Lite pack if you want less memory usage) and for your A600 there is Classic Workbench GAAE which is compaitble with your Rom version.

If you decide to upgrade you A600 to 3.1 Rom then check out the Classic Workbench 68k pack which is a stripped down version of the Full/Lite packs that is optimised for 68k processors in the A500/600 but still a very useful pack.

Enjoy your return to the Scene.

Steve.
Old 06 July 2010, 17:22   #6
Jimbo

I agree with fitzsteve, my A1200 has 3.1 roms, 8meg fast, 60gig hd and an int cdrom and classicwb full works great. The best way to set this up is use winuae then once thats all done stick the HD back into your Amiga and it will work great. It seems to use about 1.5 meg if you don't open to many windows, plenty left for whdload greatness. Classicwb has pretty much everything included and setup. Love it

Cheers
Old 08 July 2010, 07:49   #7
Limbo

Thanks very much Redwood, Graham, Steve and Jimbo for the welcome and for the advice. Very much appreciated!

Over the last few days I have tried everything you guys have suggested and initially I had an Installer Error so after reading through the forums I upgraded the installer to 43.3 and that fixed that particular problem.

In regards to my Amiga 600 (WB2.1), when I tried to install ‘Multiview’ I got the following error:
“Sorry…An error has Occurred, Copyfiles: Problem with source file/drawer “Prefs/” in line 1338.”
If I click continue, everything else installs, but when I try and use ‘Multiview’ I get the following message:
“Cannot open AmigaGuide.library! Using DEFAULT instead.”

In regards to ‘NewIcons46’, it tells me only Workbench 3.0 and above are supported, not 2.1. Is there a version for ‘NewIcons’ for Workbench 2.1?

As for my Amiga 1200 (WB3.1), when I tried to install ‘NewIcons46’ it tells me that:
“You don’t seem to have the ClassAct2.0 GUI system installed. Installation aborted!”
I have read on the forums that 'ClassAct' is not really required.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Limbo.

Last edited by Limbo; 08 July 2010 at 09:28.

Old 08 July 2010, 09:05   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
As for my Amiga 1200 (WB3.1), when I tried to install ‘NewIcons46’ it tells me that:
“You don’t seem to have the ClassAct2.0 GUI system installed. Installation aborted!”
I have read on the forums that 'ClassAct' is not really required.
You don't really need ClassAct. You can copy the files to the appropriate folders and adjust your startup-sequence/user-startup. However to replace most of the default icons in WB, I'd recommend you just grab the ClassAct Demo, copy those files over and run the installer afterwards

Oh and welcome to EAB Peter! Enjoy your stay
Old 08 July 2010, 09:12   #9
Redwood

Hi Limbo,

I can't help with the Multiview installation error, but rearding NewIcons you'll need NewIcons 4.1 for Workbench 2.1. The GAAE version of Classic Workbench comes with
that version of NewIcons. Alternately, if you've followed Graham's instructions above and obtained access to the Zone, I've uploaded NewIcons41.lha there for you.

I believe ClassAct is only required for the NewIcons preferences program, so you can get along without it.

Redwood
Old 08 July 2010, 09:50   #10
Limbo

Thanks CyberDruid, Thanks Redwood,

Redwood, I'll try and install NewIcons 4.1 on my A600 which you have so kindly uploaded for me, and I'll let you know in the next couple of days if all worked well.

CyberDruid, in regards to ClassAct and NewIcons46 I'll give it a go and try to do it manually. I currently have Magic Workbench 2.0 installed on my A1200 so I don't need to replace any default icons in WB, I'm just trying to get the WHDLoad Game Icons to appear, so that way I don't have to look at that little white dot everytime I want to start a game!

Cheers,
Limbo.

Old 08 July 2010, 09:57   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Heh, okay After you copied the files over, just whack this line in your user-startup then : Run <NIL: >NIL: c:NewIcons
Old 15 July 2010, 05:15   #12
Limbo

Thanks Redwood, Thanks CyberDruid,

YES I did manage to install NewIcons manually on both my Amiga 600 and Amiga 1200.
I used the LE Icons for my A600 and the ME Icons for my A1200. I also added the line Run <NIL: >NIL: C:NewIcons in my User-startup, and everything works just fine.

I have found the majority of my problems are the cause of UN-Zipping and UN-LHA’ing on my PC and not on my actual real Amiga. There is a reason why I have been doing this and that is because I only have DOpus 4 on my A600 which does not have the Zip facilities. If anyone has a good version of DOpus that I should be using on my A600 please upload it to The Zone and I will try and install it and save myself further heartache.

Thanks again guys, even my hair has started to grow back now that I don’t need to pull it out every time I have an Amiga meltdown!

Old 15 July 2010, 06:30   #13
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
You can easily configure DOPUS to handle ZIP-archives. I could drop you my config that has it. Just get yourself suitable Unzip/Zip executables from Aminet. I think the syntax still stays the same between them.
Old 15 July 2010, 07:30   #14
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
bippym diropus 4 config can be found in this thread
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...t=DOpus+config

opus4 is great! it is even better if you spend some time configuring it up for your own needs

and not forgetting this place
http://dopus.free.fr/index.php

look under misc files for some config ideas

Last edited by cosmicfrog; 15 July 2010 at 07:38.