English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 March 2013, 00:02   #1
amigoun

CSA Derringer Accelerator & Kick 3.1

This great accelerator uses cli-command D3 for adding RAM to system and also for MAPROM function. But the program doesnt work well on 3.1 ROM equipped Amiga (hangs on bootup after reset - forcing the user to do another reset). The problem is mentioned also on Big Book of Amiga Hardware..
I wonder I there isnt newer version of the D3 command or any fix for this?
Old 19 March 2013, 12:14   #2
Mozzerfan

I had the same problem with my a500+ with csa derringer and gvp hd8+.

I found out that when I first startup with wb1.3 and run d3, every reset after that works.
So I made 3 boot-partitions on the gvp (wb1.3, wb2.0 and wb3.1). The wb1.3 partition has the highest boot-priority.
When I power on the system, it automatically boots in wb1.3 and the fastmem from the csa is added. From there on the system doesn't hang anymore after a reset, so I can reset the system and boot wb2.0 or 3.1 throught the bootmenu.
I know, not a pretty solution and a bit of a hassle, but at least it works.
Old 18 May 2013, 23:50   #3
amigoun

D3 utility is also testing the Memory before adding it to system (the card itself has non-autoconfig mem) which takes a lot of time upon the fist bootup (with 32mb stick) and is quite unnecessary, and unfortunatelly theres no option to disable mem testing.
If some skilled programmer here can check the exe and disable mem testing, just leaving the add mem to system function I would be willing to donate.
Old 27 December 2018, 02:54   #4
RedskullDC
Digital Corruption

Hi Amigoun, et al.

Firstly, sorry for raising this long forgotten thread from the dead.
I've been repairing a Derringer 030, and came across this thread while looking for info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post
D3 utility is also testing the Memory before adding it to system (the card itself has non-autoconfig mem) which takes a lot of time upon the fist bootup (with 32mb stick) and is quite unnecessary, and unfortunatelly theres no option to disable mem testing.
If some skilled programmer here can check the exe and disable mem testing, just leaving the add mem to system function I would be willing to donate.
You have three different command line switch options with the D3 utility.

"DRAM" - Tests the installed simm, and adds the memory to freelist.
"DRAM/T" - Tests the installed simm, but *doesn't* add the memory to the system freelist.
"DRAM/A" - reads the config pins on the simm only to determine the simm size, then adds that to the freelist.

Recommend you use "DRAM/T" to begin with in your startup to check that the simm card installed is actually returning the correct size via its' config pins.

Once you are satisfied it is correct, switch to "DRAM", or "DRAM/A" if you can't stand waiting for the memory test after each reset.

Cheers,
Red